Fewer Thai Children Seen Frequenting Libraries: Education

webfact

According to the OP, "Associate Professor Kulwara Chupongpairod said Thai people preferred watching or listening rather than reading as that activity required more concentration."

What reading actually requires is more 'effort',, compared to watching or listening, thus we can really see why the reading rates are diminishing!

Laziness can be found in abundance here....

-mel.

Is rice farming still the job of more Thai people than any other? Have you ever worked in a rice field?

Am sure he has never worked 10 to 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week for $9 a day either like so many of these lazy freaking Thais do.

We're talking about school children here, not adults. Crazy comparison!! ohmy.png

-mel.

Do you know at what age children start to work in the rice paddies?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the OP, "Associate Professor Kulwara Chupongpairod said Thai people preferred watching or listening rather than reading as that activity required more concentration."

What reading actually requires is more 'effort',, compared to watching or listening, thus we can really see why the reading rates are diminishing!

-mel.

Is rice farming still the job of more Thai people than any other? Have you ever worked in a rice field?

Am sure he has never worked 10 to 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week for $9 a day either like so many of these lazy freaking Thais do.

We're talking about school children here, not adults. Crazy comparison!! ohmy.png

-mel.

Your comment nor did the selected comment you quoted from the OP even hint at being directed at children but lets pretend for a second they were directed at children only ... So, what you were quoting was actually supposed to mean that Thai Children would rather watch and listen than read books and you commends of laziness is in abundance here was really meant to say there are many lazy children in Thailand. In this case, let me change my response to:

OMG!!!! How will Thailand survive with kids who prefer TV, Computer, playing and music to books and working??!?!?!? The Horror!!!!! biggrin.png wink.png

Look no doubt Thailand is still a developing nation and it is good they look at these things and good they bring them up to help Thailand keep improving and moving in the right direction but absolutely no reason to put on some show of superiority or be disrespectful and generalize about folks being lazy. Seems kind of pointless doesn't it unless it helps ones self-esteem to put down and generalize in a superior manner those who are less fortunate.

Edited by Nisa

This has nothing to do with my self-esteem, a show of superiority, and neither did I put down in a 'superior manner'!

It's factual and statistical, in the differences between collectivist and individualist societies!

No need for sarcasm on your part, please. It is psycholgically proven, and until cultural changes are implemented, or even attempted to be developed, the show will go on.... "Reading IS NOT copying..... it involves individual effort".

-mel.

• Like 1

This has nothing to do with my self-esteem, a show of superiority, and neither did I put down in a 'superior manner'!

It's factual and statistical, in the differences between collectivist and individualist societies!

No need for sarcasm on your part, please. It is psycholgically proven, and until cultural changes are implemented, or even attempted to be developed, the show will go on.... "Reading IS NOT copying..... it involves individual effort".

-mel.

I'm still stuck at how old kids are in the cotton whoops I mean rice paddies. Before we get into that psycholgically proven collectivist society stuff.smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

-mel.

Both your above post and the comments from the other I copied seem to me they are without a doubt coming off as your being superior to not just Thais in general but most of the worlds entire population. There are countless people who have are very successful in life who either couldn't read or have never read any great books or spend much time at all reading in their spare time. I am not saying reading is not a good thing but I am not going to judge people who don't enjoy reading books for pleasure or find other ways to succeed and gain knowledge or be entertained in life.

Whilst I agree that Thailand doesn't need any more libraries -- because the government (whatever colour) wants to keep the people stupid, I believe that Thailand DOES need more public places for students to hang out and get their work done... so patrons of Starbucks, McDonald's and KFC don't have to deal with idiots taking up whole desks... sharing a cup of Coke...

-mel.

Both your above post and the comments from the other I copied seem to me they are without a doubt coming off as your being superior to not just Thais in general but most of the worlds entire population. There are countless people who have are very successful in life who either couldn't read or have never read any great books or spend much time at all reading in their spare time. I am not saying reading is not a good thing but I am not going to judge people who don't enjoy reading books for pleasure or find other ways to succeed and gain knowledge or be entertained in life.

When did I say anybody has been or is unsuccessful because of not reading books? :o

When did I say I judge people by what they have read?

Your preogative here is misplaced, regarding what you think I comment upon, in my IMHO.

I am quoting pschologically, and if you want references.... then here they are.

------------------------------------

Hopkin. 1993.

Karlins et al 1998.

Haines et al 1996.

Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education,

Vol. 28, No. 5, October 2003 Chris Parks.

Larsen and Vincent-Lancrin, 2002

Journal of US-China Public Administration, 2011

Hofstede, G. Psychological Bulletin Vol 128(1), Jan, 2002. (pp. 3-72).

Mazzarol, T. and Soutar, G.N.,
(2002) “The Push-Pull Factors Influencing International Student Selection of Education Destination”, International Journal of Educational Management, 16(2): 82-90. ISSN 0951-354X

Journal of US-China Public Administration - ISSN 1548-6591 December 2011, Vol. 8, No. 12, 1414-1424 “Thai International Education Effects on Values, Cross-Culture and Education Experience”.

-------------------------------

In essence, I am quoting from experience and read literature, and MSc level psychology.

I am not demoting anybody, or any culture, so what 'seems' apparent to you may not be an awareness of the differences between cultures, as you interpret them.

Maybe do some 'reading', which is what this thread is all about, for children's reading may I iterate, and then come back to me in good spirit?

-mel.

-mel.

When did I say anybody has been or is unsuccessful because of not reading books? ohmy.png

Your preogative here is misplaced, regarding what you think I comment upon, in my IMHO.

Hopkin. 1993.

Karlins et al 1998.

Haines et al 1996.

(2002) “The Push-Pull Factors Influencing International Student Selection of Education Destination”, International Journal of Educational Management, 16(2): 82-90. ISSN 0951-354X

Journal of US-China Public Administration - ISSN 1548-6591 December 2011, Vol. 8, No. 12, 1414-1424 “Thai International Education Effects on Values, Cross-Culture and Education Experience”.

In essence, I am quoting from experience and read literature, and MSc level psychology.

I am not demoting anybody, or any culture, so what 'seems' apparent to you may not be an awareness of the differences between cultures, as you interpret them.

Maybe do some 'reading', which is what this thread is all about, for children's reading may I iterate, and then come back to me in good spirit?

-mel.

Sorry but I am too lazy to read all this but know you won't judge me for this given your first couple comments. wink.png

If i missed your point I apologize but I really thought you were coming off a bit judgemental and superior.

Edited by Nisa

You used the word 'lazy', so does that mean with regard to reading you are on the same undustrious level as a Thai? I very much doubt it, in comparison with your previous statement about how you encourage reading with your daughter. wink.png

Here's a start, about stereotyping... : http://madon.public....replication.pdf

Enjoy! wai.gif

-mel.

( You did stereotype me, as attempting to be .... errmm.. I let you find your own words above. wink.png )

Sawasdee pee mai Thai 2556!

Edit: And no, I am not judgemental regarding individuals. Repetetive actions do tend to lead to a classification of character, however.

Not, again, regarding yourself; but in-field, internal dynamics of grouped reactions, copying etc. are, indeed, classed accurately according to cultures, and have been very well studied. My comments have not been 'off the mark', but based upon my own studies and learning experiences. I do hope that now you see a different vain to my previously related comments, within the perspective of the OP?

Regards,

-mel.

Edited by MEL1

People used to look down on Gutenberg's printed books. They preferred books produced by hand...

Who told you that?

Look it up. It's before trolling.

I did. It said people preferred printing because they could read it better. So after the Guetnberg press many more people began to read.

Because people don't agree with you does not mean they are trolling.

-mel.

When did I say anybody has been or is unsuccessful because of not reading books? ohmy.png

Hopkin. 1993.

Karlins et al 1998.

Haines et al 1996.

-mel.

OK I read that stuff. It says the Thai students educated outside of Thailand come across as more Thai than the students educated at home. "Thai international participants embracing traditional Thai value to a greater extent than the both domestically educated Thai participants and the Thai population in general." I doubt that the finding are true and I don't see what it has to do with this thread and I still don't know at what age kids start working in the rice paddies.smile.png

The day I see a Thai reading Kipling, I'll know in my good soul that there is indeed hope for this stagnant culture; and on that great day, pigs will fly out of my ass.

Computers in a library! You've got to be kidding.

Library: A place in which literary, musical, artistic, or reference materials (as books, manuscripts, recordings, or films) are kept for use but not for sale.

Considering that there are approximately 60 known Thai authors, poets, novelists, fiction writers, etc. in the last 2556 years, I have yet to imagine what kind of "library" they are describing. It is no wonder that Thais seek mindless pap under the false assumption that they are filling their heads with knowledge which leads to wisdom.

"If you make them think they are thinking, they will love you" = no resistance = going where there is least resistance = Buddhism

"If you really make them think, they will hate you" = discipline = understanding the concept of self (...will, ...determination, ...restraint, ...lessness, etc.) = Wisdom.

Without literature being uploaded into the mind, there is only ignorance, and folly is its mistress.

You cannot replace literature with you tube, documentaries and any other form of media. Literature opens the mind to things that cannot be reproduced in 3D or technicolor, etc.

The author of this article is describing something that does not exist, because the thing that is not being frequented (the library) is not worth the time it takes to get there, and the people who should be going there lack the will or understanding to do so; two entities in the mind's eye only, and the twain shall never meet in a tangible enviornment.

• Like 1

The day I see a Thai reading Kipling, I'll know in my good soul that there is indeed hope for this stagnant culture; and on that great day, pigs will fly out of my ass.

Computers in a library! You've got to be kidding.

Library: A place in which literary, musical, artistic, or reference materials (as books, manuscripts, recordings, or films) are kept for use but not for sale.

Considering that there are approximately 60 known Thai authors, poets, novelists, fiction writers, etc. in the last 2556 years, I have yet to imagine what kind of "library" they are describing. It is no wonder that Thais seek mindless pap under the false assumption that they are filling their heads with knowledge which leads to wisdom.

"If you make them think they are thinking, they will love you" = no resistance = going where there is least resistance = Buddhism

"If you really make them think, they will hate you" = discipline = understanding the concept of self (...will, ...determination, ...restraint, ...lessness, etc.) = Wisdom.

Without literature being uploaded into the mind, there is only ignorance, and folly is its mistress.

You cannot replace literature with you tube, documentaries and any other form of media. Literature opens the mind to things that cannot be reproduced in 3D or technicolor, etc.

The author of this article is describing something that does not exist, because the thing that is not being frequented (the library) is not worth the time it takes to get there, and the people who should be going there lack the will or understanding to do so; two entities in the mind's eye only, and the twain shall never meet in a tangible enviornment.

There is a book store in every mall. The book stores are busy. The book stores sell books. They make money selling books to Thais. You don't know this? When I was a kid I learned how to navigate with a slide rule and a pencil. Now I push a GPS button. I think that is called progress. Do you really think reading Kipling would help the Thai culture? Kipling sample below.

So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in the Soudan;

You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;

An' 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, with your 'ayrick 'ead of 'air --

You big black boundin' beggar -- for you broke a British square!

• Like 2

The average Vietnamese reads sixty books a year? I like to read but I doubt I'd ever manage that.

Methinks they might be telling porkies!

Shhhhh - you are not supposed to use logic when reading these types of so-called news stories.

There is a book store in every mall. The book stores are busy. The book stores sell books. They make money selling books to Thais.

How many poor Thais can't afford books from said book store. Have you ever been to a library in Thailand?.

Many Thai libraries have a very very small selection of books with none of the shiny new books like in these book stores. Maybe if these libraries had a wider variety of books people might use the facilities.

Edited by Scully

I think there are less smart people then people of average or below average intelligence so a country is left with few alternatives. Provide more jobs for intellectually challenged people or make the intellectually challenged people smarter. Since all the dumb jobs are going to countries with little regard for safety or the environment this means Thailand has to educate its people or put 52% on welfare like some other countries that don't speak Thai.

The different shirt colors are a great idea because it makes it simple to tell who is who. Kudos to Thailand for that idea. The yellow shirts go to the library and the red shirts go to the rice paddy. Brilliant. My own opinion is I doubt they will figure out how to make the poor people smart and get them good jobs. Best case scenario is to maximize the earning potential of the top 48% of the population and have them pay the bills for the rest. Key to this is cheap whiskey and beer. And keeping the people eating chicken parts rather than steak. Parts is parts after all.

So, yes libraries are important but you don't want too many intellectually challenged people using them. They might begin to notice the difference between chicken parts and steak or Chang and decent ale or moonshine and aged whiskey.

It is called change. Libraries are replaced by Ipads and ebooks.

IPads in Thailand are solely for games and facebook.

Ebook readers are for farang.

http://www.thejakart...ducation/496343

“I have to preach,” he said. “I am preaching every day.”

He'd fit right in here, at Thai Visa. tongue.png

Edit: just saw this - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612250-how-to-use-an-i-pad/#entry6023650

Edited by rijb

I was back in the USA for a year and I can tell you that fewer kids there are going to the library as well. Most of the library patrons were there to use the free library computers, surf the net and yak on their cell phones...

It isn't just Thailand. The US and UK (and probably many other places) have been closing libraries and shortening hours they are open as they see their use drop by both children and mostly adults. In fact the entire printing industry has seen big declines since people started getting their news, books and information online.

While this is true, ie, the US closing libraries, there is no comparison with regard to sheer numbers or to national literacy. The reasons for closing libraries in the US is financial, not because of a lack of readers. In any case, literacy in the US is light years ahead of Thailand. On the other hand, I constantly meet Thais who can't even read Thai, let alone English, or who can't multiply 4 X 5. There's no comparison, really.

Don't worry about it. It is just old typical Nisa. It is true of course, that libraries are being closed elsewhere (not only in Thailand blah blah blah) and even in high numbers. And THAT is actually the point! To close down libraries, they have to be present, in the first place! And every midsized town where I come from has one or even multiple libraries. Now...how many libraries have you ever seen in Bangkok, let alone in smaller cities?

• Like 1

It isn't just Thailand. The US and UK (and probably many other places) have been closing libraries and shortening hours they are open as they see their use drop by both children and mostly adults. In fact the entire printing industry has seen big declines since people started getting their news, books and information online.

While this is true, ie, the US closing libraries, there is no comparison with regard to sheer numbers or to national literacy. The reasons for closing libraries in the US is financial, not because of a lack of readers. In any case, literacy in the US is light years ahead of Thailand. On the other hand, I constantly meet Thais who can't even read Thai, let alone English, or who can't multiply 4 X 5. There's no comparison, really.

Don't worry about it. It is just old typical Nisa. It is true of course, that libraries are being closed elsewhere (not only in Thailand blah blah blah) and even in high numbers. And THAT is actually the point! To close down libraries, they have to be present, in the first place! And every midsized town where I come from has one or even multiple libraries. Now...how many libraries have you ever seen in Bangkok, let alone in smaller cities?

Do you count the libraries at government schools?

anyway they are closing some libraries to open NEW ones .....smile.png

Coming soon: The library with no books to open in US county

http://www.whatsonxi...m/tech1818.html

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

From the OP ...

"It's not necessary to increase the number of libraries. Even though we have up to 10 libraries in a community, they will be useless if no one makes use of them.

So the answer would be there is more than enough if not too many since print media and libraries are fading away as technology has grown but don't let that stop you from your obsession with searching out my posts on this forum ... although pathetic, it is interesting to see how easy it is for you to get your panties in a bunch when things here are put in perspective.

In case folks have not noticed the advent of the internet and digital publications has had a tremendous impact on the print world and people are just not reading physical books and newspapers anywhere near how much they did in the past. It is akin to thinking people don't listen to music anymore because they are not buying records.

If you think the literacy rate has not been improving in Thailand then by all means strike out at the lack of reading or reading skills but the fact is that literacy and education levels have been improving is clearly more important than being concerned with why folks are not using out dated technology or pretending folks in Vietnam read 60 books a year as compared to 5 by Thais.

By all means encourage people to read more and stay in school (things like having more schools, making school free, providing tablets) but to pretend the sky is falling when in fact I can assure you more Thais are reading today than they did a decade or two ago is a bit well ... DocN-ish

• Like 1

Do you count the libraries at government schools?

No, actually i am talking about public libraries!

From the OP ...

"It's not necessary to increase the number of libraries. Even though we have up to 10 libraries in a community, they will be useless if no one makes use of them.

So the answer would be there is more than enough if not too many since print media and libraries are fading away as technology has grown but don't let that stop you from your obsession with searching out my posts on this forum ... although pathetic, it is interesting to see how easy it is for you to get your panties in a bunch when things here are put in perspective.

In case folks have not noticed the advent of the internet and digital publications has had a tremendous impact on the print world and people are just not reading physical books and newspapers anywhere near how much they did in the past. It is akin to thinking people don't listen to music anymore because they are not buying records.

If you think the literacy rate has not been improving in Thailand then by all means strike out at the lack of reading or reading skills but the fact is that literacy and education levels have been improving is clearly more important than being concerned with why folks are not using out dated technology or pretending folks in Vietnam read 60 books a year as compared to 5 by Thais.

By all means encourage people to read more and stay in school (things like having more schools, making school free, providing tablets) but to pretend the sky is falling when in fact I can assure you more Thais are reading today than they did a decade or two ago is a bit well ... DocN-ish

<deleted> are you talking about?

I guess, you may even find, people are reading a lot more than they did a hundred years ago...or a thousand...

But what that has to do with libraries and why it should interest anyone, how many libraries are being closed in ENGLAND, when the OP is about THAILAND (as always) is beyond me!

From the OP ...

<deleted> are you talking about?

I guess, you may even find, people are reading a lot more than they did a hundred years ago...or a thousand...

But what that has to do with libraries and why it should interest anyone, how many libraries are being closed in ENGLAND, when the OP is about THAILAND (as always) is beyond me!

If all the countries in the world closed 100 libraries and Thailand only closed 50 then Thailand would be doing a good job eh?