Fewer Thai Children Seen Frequenting Libraries: Education

webfact

"I usually come here to read, especially cartoon books," Natnicha Yangdee, a nine-year-old member of the library, said while holding a cartoon book about chickenpox disease in her hands.

Surprisingly many students have some sort of reading habit. As one girl in the article demonstrates. Many of them like thai comics, especially those translated from Japanese and Korean.

I have to stop them reading these during lessons.

These books are easily obtained at any 7ELEVEN or Mall Comic shops. Others like to read teen love stories or Ghost stories. Maybe the libraries dont have these kind of books and are less accessible.

Here is a chance for the govenment to strike a blow for education How about proving free ebooks with their millions of tablets that they have and provide a download source.

Teachers could then use these books in the lessons or at least just encourage the kids to read.

I'm a teacher and I encourage the reading habit as much as I can by giving them levelled readers. Many of my students respond with surprise that the stories are so good. Most of my students can manage to read level 2 or 3 Oxford readers Some can read Harry potter in English.

Reading on tablets and phones is easy and convenient

When you finish a book you can just download another.

I have read Edgar rice Burroughs,Arthur Conan Doyle, Jane Austin etc These are all freely available. I use Aldiko Ebooks for those who want to try it. Erotic books are available too for those of you who like that sort of thing.

Surely the Thai govermnet can provide a source of both Thai and English Ebooks for free.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Chiang Mai Kelly

"If all the countries in the world closed 100 libraries and Thailand only closed 50 then Thailand would be doing a good job eh?"

Yeeeeeeeees....sure!

And if pigs could fly....but let's leave that for another discussion!

There is only 1 tiny little flaw in your...joke?...fact?...thingy!

If all countries around the world had 1.000 libraries and Thailand had only 75...then Thailand would not be doing such a great job, eh???!!

And if Santa were real, I'd like a pony for Christmas!

Dear Chiang Mai Kelly

"If all the countries in the world closed 100 libraries and Thailand only closed 50 then Thailand would be doing a good job eh?"

Yeeeeeeeees....sure!

If all countries around the world had 1.000 libraries and Thailand had only 75...then Thailand would not be doing such a great job, eh???!!

How would you know all countries around the world had 1000 libraries? Oh, you would have to look at another country besides Thailand when making a value judgment about Thailand.

So you wrote, "But what that has to do with libraries and why it should interest anyone, how many libraries are being closed in (any other country), when the OP is about THAILAND (as always) is beyond me! " Information is meaningless unless a benchmark is established. To establish a benchmark or standard, Thailand must be compared to other countries. It is not sufficient to say Thailand is always wrong because that is your opinion.smile.png

• Like 1

Dear Chiang Mai Kelly

Yeeeeeeeees....sure!

How would you know all countries around the world had 1000 libraries? Oh, you would have to look at another country besides Thailand when making a value judgment about Thailand.

So you wrote, "But what that has to do with libraries and why it should interest anyone, how many libraries are being closed in (any other country), when the OP is about THAILAND (as always) is beyond me! " Information is meaningless unless a benchmark is established. To establish a benchmark or standard, Thailand must be compared to other countries. It is not sufficient to say Thailand is always wrong because that is your opinion.smile.png

First of all: I am not stating "Thailand is always wrong" and I never did.

Secondly the OP reads (just in case you forgot) "fewer thai-children seen frequenting libraries" which a) does not need to be compared to any other country, because it is a specifically internal observation and b ) it has got nothing to do with the closing of libraries elsewhere. AT ALL!

And thirdly: an observation that I share with many posters here, is that a) I see not many Thais reading and b ) I have lived in the area between Victory Monument- Silom- Rama 3 for more than 5 years now and I have seen 1 library so far. That doesn't mean there may not be another one, but in roughly the same area in my hometown of Hamburg/Germany, I know 10 libraries and those may not even be all. ...and even that has got nothing to do with the OP.

Furthermore: I don't think that reading mangas or ghost=stories from comic - books qualify as "reading" in a sense that is meant or can be seen as "educational", though I am willing to see even the sight of one of these crappy specimens of "literature" in someones hands as a "good sign"!

So...again...the numbers of libraries, that are closed in the UK or elsewhere, has NOTHING to do with the OP.

But of course: since some posters here feel the absolute urge to bring up that Thailand is so wonderful in every which way, we have to read this non- sense and need to be lectured about "it happens not only in Thailand", which we are all aware of, as we know, that in the times of Internet, TV, etc., reading is not as popular as wehn we were young.

Happy now?

<deleted> are you talking about?

I guess, you may even find, people are reading a lot more than they did a hundred years ago...or a thousand...

But what that has to do with libraries and why it should interest anyone, how many libraries are being closed in ENGLAND, when the OP is about THAILAND (as always) is beyond me!

Doc if we used your logic than Thailand is a perfect a place as you can get because we are not allowed to measure it against anywhere else or wait ... oh wait, or is what you believe is that we can only compare it when you think it shows Thailand in a bad light but then get your knickers all knotted up and pulled tightly into your butt crack if it turns out Thailand is actually not that bad when compared to the rest of the world including much more developed nations such as when it comes to a decline in people reading actual books or going to libraries.

Dear Chiang Mai Kelly

Yeeeeeeeees....sure!

Secondly the OP reads (just in case you forgot) "fewer thai-children seen frequenting libraries" which a) does not need to be compared to any other country, because it is a specifically internal observation and b ) it has got nothing to do with the closing of libraries elsewhere. AT ALL!

And thirdly: an observation that I share with many posters here, is that a) I see not many Thais reading and b ) I have lived in the area between Victory Monument- Silom- Rama 3 for more than 5 years now and I have seen 1 library so far. That doesn't mean there may not be another one, but in roughly the same area in my hometown of Hamburg/Germany, I know 10 libraries and those may not even be all. ...and even that has got nothing to do with the OP.

Furthermore: I don't think that reading mangas or ghost=stories from comic - books qualify as "reading" in a sense that is meant or can be seen as "educational", though I am willing to see even the sight of one of these crappy specimens of "literature" in someones hands as a "good sign"!

So...again...the numbers of libraries, that are closed in the UK or elsewhere, has NOTHING to do with the OP.

But of course: since some posters here feel the absolute urge to bring up that Thailand is so wonderful in every which way, we have to read this non- sense and need to be lectured about "it happens not only in Thailand", which we are all aware of, as we know, that in the times of Internet, TV, etc., reading is not as popular as wehn we were young.

Happy now?

To try and say comparison is unnecessary to understand anything that has the words "fewer or more" is nonsense. Since the majority of the posters on Thai Visa are from the UK, the UK would be the nation of choice when comparing anything it one wants the majority of posters to have an idea what you are talking about.

For example I could say Somchai a Thai Auto Engineer was great in comparison with Guamanian Auto Engineers. Would you know what I really said? On the other hand if I said that Somchai a Thai Auto Engineer was great in comparison with British Automotive Engineers you would know I was talking about a world class standard of Engineering.

You cannot discuss fewer Thai children in libraries with any level of intelligence without discussing the state of library attendance in other places in the world. Thailand does not exist in a vacuum.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Dear Chiang Mai Kelly

Yeeeeeeeees....sure!

Happy now?

To try and say comparison is unnecessary to understand anything that has the words "fewer or more" is nonsense. Since the majority of the posters on Thai Visa are from the UK, the UK would be the nation of choice when comparing anything it one wants the majority of posters to have an idea what you are talking about.

For example I could say Somchai a Thai Auto Engineer was great in comparison with Guamanian Auto Engineers. Would you know what I really said? On the other hand if I said that Somchai a Thai Auto Engineer was great in comparison with British Automotive Engineers you would know I was talking about a world class standard of Engineering.

You cannot discuss fewer Thai children in libraries with any level of intelligence without discussing the state of library attendance in other places in the world. Thailand does not exist in a vacuum.

Yeah fine. You'll have it your way. Conversation ends here!

Secondly the OP reads (just in case you forgot) "fewer thai-children seen frequenting libraries" which a) does not need to be compared to any other country, because it is a specifically internal observation <snip>

I snipped your post because I didn't want to read any more (must be the Thai in me). You simply don't get it. If you are going to talk about it being a negative thing that Thais don't visit libraries as much anymore then it certainly is relevant to point out that this is not an issue about Thailand and possibly not all that negative. You can do this a number of ways and one is to point out how more literate, modern and developed countries are seeing the same trend and why they have discovered they are seeing such trends. If you fail to grasp such an easy concept then there really is no reason to read the rest of your post just as there is little reason to visit a library when there is easy access to books online, at the mall and at your school.

Thailand is moving forward in development and is beyond much of the west and unless somebody can't comprehend basics then they should understand having less public libraries in a less developed country would be the norm but they also should comprehend that if in more developed countries people are moving away from the typical public library then it may be a development they really don't have to go through in terms of having more public libraries with physical books just as they didn't need to wire every house for landline service to have the population be able to use phones or how they didn't need to go through a phase of having record and cassettes before the masses had easy access to digital music.

Stop defining how discussion should be had just because you cannot comprehend a posters view or doesn't fit how you want to think of Thai or Thailand or because it upsets you that Thais and Thailand often isn't that different than the rest of the world.

The freaking OP itself is comparing Thailand to other countries for God's sake.

Edited by Nisa

The day I see a Thai reading Kipling, I'll know in my good soul that there is indeed hope for this stagnant culture; and on that great day, pigs will fly out of my ass.

Computers in a library! You've got to be kidding.

Library: A place in which literary, musical, artistic, or reference materials (as books, manuscripts, recordings, or films) are kept for use but not for sale.

Considering that there are approximately 60 known Thai authors, poets, novelists, fiction writers, etc. in the last 2556 years, I have yet to imagine what kind of "library" they are describing. It is no wonder that Thais seek mindless pap under the false assumption that they are filling their heads with knowledge which leads to wisdom.

"If you make them think they are thinking, they will love you" = no resistance = going where there is least resistance = Buddhism

"If you really make them think, they will hate you" = discipline = understanding the concept of self (...will, ...determination, ...restraint, ...lessness, etc.) = Wisdom.

Without literature being uploaded into the mind, there is only ignorance, and folly is its mistress.

You cannot replace literature with you tube, documentaries and any other form of media. Literature opens the mind to things that cannot be reproduced in 3D or technicolor, etc.

The author of this article is describing something that does not exist, because the thing that is not being frequented (the library) is not worth the time it takes to get there, and the people who should be going there lack the will or understanding to do so; two entities in the mind's eye only, and the twain shall never meet in a tangible enviornment.

There is a book store in every mall. The book stores are busy. The book stores sell books. They make money selling books to Thais. You don't know this? When I was a kid I learned how to navigate with a slide rule and a pencil. Now I push a GPS button. I think that is called progress. Do you really think reading Kipling would help the Thai culture? Kipling sample below.

So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in the Soudan;

You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;

An' 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, with your 'ayrick 'ead of 'air --

You big black boundin' beggar -- for you broke a British square!

Library: A place in which literary, musical, artistic, or reference materials (as books, manuscripts, recordings, or films) are kept for use but not for sale.

Book Store: A place of business where books are the main item offered for sale - called also bookshop

Are you really positive that you want to use a book store in a trendy mall as an example of a library for the general Thai population?

Yes, you are correct, and I congratulate you getting e few "likes" for this view, but what does a trendy retail outlet for selling books have to do with the a place where you are go to read literary, musical, artistic, or reference materials (as books, manuscripts, recordings, or films)?

Additionally, I would submit that people loitering in bookstores and reading the books instead of buying them is a no-no, but if you think this constitutes an argument against my thesis then go right ahead.

Ya lost me, mate.laugh.png

The day I see a Thai reading Kipling, I'll know in my good soul that there is indeed hope for this stagnant culture; and on that great day, pigs will fly out of my ass.

Computers in a library! You've got to be kidding.

Considering that there are approximately 60 known Thai authors, poets, novelists, fiction writers, etc. in the last 2556 years, I have yet to imagine what kind of "library" they are describing. It is no wonder that Thais seek mindless pap under the false assumption that they are filling their heads with knowledge which leads to wisdom.

"If you make them think they are thinking, they will love you" = no resistance = going where there is least resistance = Buddhism

"If you really make them think, they will hate you" = discipline = understanding the concept of self (...will, ...determination, ...restraint, ...lessness, etc.) = Wisdom.

Without literature being uploaded into the mind, there is only ignorance, and folly is its mistress.

You cannot replace literature with you tube, documentaries and any other form of media. Literature opens the mind to things that cannot be reproduced in 3D or technicolor, etc.

The author of this article is describing something that does not exist, because the thing that is not being frequented (the library) is not worth the time it takes to get there, and the people who should be going there lack the will or understanding to do so; two entities in the mind's eye only, and the twain shall never meet in a tangible enviornment.

There is a book store in every mall. The book stores are busy. The book stores sell books. They make money selling books to Thais. You don't know this? When I was a kid I learned how to navigate with a slide rule and a pencil. Now I push a GPS button. I think that is called progress. Do you really think reading Kipling would help the Thai culture? Kipling sample below.

So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in the Soudan;

You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;

An' 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, with your 'ayrick 'ead of 'air --

You big black boundin' beggar -- for you broke a British square!

Book Store: A place of business where books are the main item offered for sale - called also bookshop

Are you really positive that you want to use a book store in a trendy mall as an example of a library for the general Thai population?

Yes, you are correct, and I congratulate you getting e few "likes" for this view, but what does a trendy retail outlet for selling books have to do with the a place where you are go to read literary, musical, artistic, or reference materials (as books, manuscripts, recordings, or films)?

Additionally, I would submit that people loitering in bookstores and reading the books instead of buying them is a no-no, but if you think this constitutes an argument against my thesis then go right ahead.

Ya lost me, mate.laugh.png

I take it you have not been to a bookstore in the mall lately where they have sofas and sell coffee and let you read the books. No, not a library but still full of people reading and selling enough books to stay in business.

I am not saying there are enough or not enough libraries but just it is not a way to judge this day and age what and how much people are reading especially in terms of more or less. Just because there are few Video rental shops doesn't mean people are watching less movies in Thailand.

There are a plethora of new and very cheap used bookstores here, at least in the cities but not sure about out in the rice field areas. When all is said and done I think even here most folks prefer owning a book and not having to return it to the library unless they are are very very avid reader without the means to feed their reading habit. When I was a kid the only people who went to the library regularly for non-school work were the kids made fun of daily ... though most probably turned out to be the Bill Gates type, it was just not normal behavior and we didn't have the kind of access to information kids do now through the internet.

Edited by Nisa

Secondly the OP reads (just in case you forgot) "fewer thai-children seen frequenting libraries" which a) does not need to be compared to any other country, because it is a specifically internal observation <snip>

I snipped your post because I didn't want to read any more (must be the Thai in me). You simply don't get it. If you are going to talk about it being a negative thing that Thais don't visit libraries as much anymore then it certainly is relevant to point out that this is not an issue about Thailand and possibly not all that negative. You can do this a number of ways and one is to point out how more literate, modern and developed countries are seeing the same trend and why they have discovered they are seeing such trends. If you fail to grasp such an easy concept then there really is no reason to read the rest of your post just as there is little reason to visit a library when there is easy access to books online, at the mall and at your school.

Thailand is moving forward in development and is beyond much of the west and unless somebody can't comprehend basics then they should understand having less public libraries in a less developed country would be the norm but they also should comprehend that if in more developed countries people are moving away from the typical public library then it may be a development they really don't have to go through in terms of having more public libraries with physical books just as they didn't need to wire every house for landline service to have the population be able to use phones or how they didn't need to go through a phase of having record and cassettes before the masses had easy access to digital music.

Stop defining how discussion should be had just because you cannot comprehend a posters view or doesn't fit how you want to think of Thai or Thailand or because it upsets you that Thais and Thailand often isn't that different than the rest of the world.

The freaking OP itself is comparing Thailand to other countries for God's sake.

saai.gif

I think there are less smart people then people of average or below average intelligence so a country is left with few alternatives. Provide more jobs for intellectually challenged people or make the intellectually challenged people smarter. Since all the dumb jobs are going to countries with little regard for safety or the environment this means Thailand has to educate its people or put 52% on welfare like some other countries that don't speak Thai.

The different shirt colors are a great idea because it makes it simple to tell who is who. Kudos to Thailand for that idea. The yellow shirts go to the library and the red shirts go to the rice paddy. Brilliant. My own opinion is I doubt they will figure out how to make the poor people smart and get them good jobs. Best case scenario is to maximize the earning potential of the top 48% of the population and have them pay the bills for the rest. Key to this is cheap whiskey and beer. And keeping the people eating chicken parts rather than steak. Parts is parts after all.

So, yes libraries are important but you don't want too many intellectually challenged people using them. They might begin to notice the difference between chicken parts and steak or Chang and decent ale or moonshine and aged whiskey.

Being facetious is supposed to be humorous :)

I think there are less smart people then people of average or below average intelligence so a country is left with few alternatives. Provide more jobs for intellectually challenged people or make the intellectually challenged people smarter. Since all the dumb jobs are going to countries with little regard for safety or the environment this means Thailand has to educate its people or put 52% on welfare like some other countries that don't speak Thai.

The different shirt colors are a great idea because it makes it simple to tell who is who. Kudos to Thailand for that idea. The yellow shirts go to the library and the red shirts go to the rice paddy. Brilliant. My own opinion is I doubt they will figure out how to make the poor people smart and get them good jobs. Best case scenario is to maximize the earning potential of the top 48% of the population and have them pay the bills for the rest. Key to this is cheap whiskey and beer. And keeping the people eating chicken parts rather than steak. Parts is parts after all.

So, yes libraries are important but you don't want too many intellectually challenged people using them. They might begin to notice the difference between chicken parts and steak or Chang and decent ale or moonshine and aged whiskey.

Being facetious is supposed to be humorous smile.png

Facetious Meaning

- given to wit and good humor; merry; sportive; jocular; amusing; humorous. Any other definitions you need help with don't hesitate to ask.smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Facetious Meaning

- given to wit and good humor; merry; sportive; jocular; amusing; humorous. Any other definitions you need help with don't hesitate to ask.smile.png

Yes humour, but you clearly don't know :(

• Like 1

Facetious Meaning

Yes humour, but you clearly don't know sad.png

Humor like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. biggrin.png Might I suggest discussing what I said instead of how or who said it. I know that is a different idea in the Thailand news forum but give it a try.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Indeed. The Thais could learn a lot from reading Kipling.

They would learn something from that particular verse of poetry too; about the British in the Sudan, and how the Sudanese broke the British Square formation for the first time at the Battle of Tamai and that the British squaddies had the utmost respect for the Sudanese Madhi.

The poem is satirical which I think went over that poster's head.

Indeed. The Thais could learn a lot from reading Kipling.

They would learn something from that particular verse of poetry too; about the British in the Sudan, and how the Sudanese broke the British Square formation for the first time at the Battle of Tamai and that the British squaddies had the utmost respect for the Sudanese Madhi.

The poem is satirical which I think went over that poster's head.

I seriously doubt that. I wonder how the Thais would respond to Kipling's, The White Mans Burden ? The past is part of history sure but one wonders if some parts are better left unexplored.

Ok I will quote this post again, now you being facetious has probably unwittingly uncovered the problem with the difference between the rich and poor Thais.

Even if you did do it in a rather derogatory manner.

In many of the above recent posts, many of you refer to yourselves as teachers, presumably of English.

I have yet to see a post, from you who pertain to that, that contains anything near to correct punctuation, or even accurate sentence construction.

That's such a shame for your students. Are you those same said teachers who refer to having to do border runs, because you don't have work permits?

It's abysmal. :(

-mel. coffee1.gifcheesy.gif

In many of the above recent posts, many of you refer to yourselves as teachers, presumably of English.

I have yet to see a post, from you who pertain to that, that contains anything near to correct punctuation, or even accurate sentence construction.

That's such a shame for your students. Are you those same said teachers who refer to having to do border runs, because you don't have work permits?

It's abysmal. sad.png

mel. coffee1.gifcheesy.gif

Have Farangs started teaching grammar in Thai schools now? I thought it was mostly Thai teachers who taught grammar.

I of course can see how one would need good punctuation skills to understand the fact that fewer Thai children are going to libraries.

Ok I will quote this post again, now you being facetious has probably unwittingly uncovered the problem with the difference between the rich and poor Thais.

Even if you did do it in a rather derogatory manner.

The farming and grunt jobs are leaving Thailand. This will create problems as we are beginning to see. If the people who were doing the farming and grunt jobs don't want to be educated and the emerging middle class think they are hi so and don't need to be educated there will be turmoil.

It's abysmal. sad.png

Have Farangs started teaching grammar in Thai schools now? I thought it was mostly Thai teachers who taught grammar.

I of course can see how one would need good punctuation skills to understand the fact that fewer Thai children are going to libraries.

I, of course, can see that you are clearly unqualified to teach English. w00t.gif

-mel. thumbsup.gif

It's abysmal. sad.png

I, of course, can see that you are clearly unqualified to teach English. w00t.gif

-mel. thumbsup.gif

Who said anything about teaching English? Are you a teacher? Do you have a teaching certificate? A teaching degree? Why are you trying to turn this thread into a teacher qualification thread?thumbsup.gif

Edited by chiangmaikelly

This is a hugely important topic. It may be one of the determining factors, when it comes to Thailand maintiaining it's place in the world. I see them slipping dramatically over the next 30 years. The fact that most Thai people simply refuse to read books, newspapers without a lot of photos, etc, may push them back, and prevent the country from developing a truly literate base. Of course the educators, and the parents are largely to blame. But, how do you convince a child that reading is a good thing for them to do with their time, when they do not have a single friend, or peer who reads? Even smart people rarely pick up a book in this truly enigmatic country.

Since Thailand has been moving steadily up over the last 40 years and reading has been declining I wonder what would trigger this dramatic slippage? Are other countries reading a lot more of late?

By all standards, Thailand has been slipping for the past 4-5 years. So, not sure what surveys, or studies you have been reading, but the trend is reversing itself. When it comes to education, and infrastructure, the neighbors are gaining. Likewise, with economic development.

Putting on my Thai policeman's hat I'd say - young & old in the U.S. do heaps of reading both print & electronic and look where its got that country......on a downward spiral akin to the last decades of ancient Roman & not so ancient Britain. Maybe not reading is a kinda good idea esp. if one can learn so much taking off for a few hours to Patpong, Patong or Pattaya.

This is a hugely important topic. It may be one of the determining factors, when it comes to Thailand maintiaining it's place in the world. I see them slipping dramatically over the next 30 years. The fact that most Thai people simply refuse to read books, newspapers without a lot of photos, etc, may push them back, and prevent the country from developing a truly literate base. Of course the educators, and the parents are largely to blame. But, how do you convince a child that reading is a good thing for them to do with their time, when they do not have a single friend, or peer who reads? Even smart people rarely pick up a book in this truly enigmatic country.

Since Thailand has been moving steadily up over the last 40 years and reading has been declining I wonder what would trigger this dramatic slippage? Are other countries reading a lot more of late?

By all standards, Thailand has been slipping for the past 4-5 years. So, not sure what surveys, or studies you have been reading, but the trend is reversing itself. When it comes to education, and infrastructure, the neighbors are gaining. Likewise, with economic development.

Putting on my Thai policeman's hat I'd say - young & old in the U.S. do heaps of reading both print & electronic and look where its got that country......on a downward spiral akin to the last decades of ancient Roman & not so ancient Britain. Maybe not reading is a kinda good idea esp. if one can learn so much taking off for a few hours to Patpong, Patong or Pattaya.

I take it you have not been to a bookstore in the mall lately where they have sofas and sell coffee and let you read the books. No, not a library but still full of people reading and selling enough books to stay in business.

I am not saying there are enough or not enough libraries but just it is not a way to judge this day and age what and how much people are reading especially in terms of more or less. Just because there are few Video rental shops doesn't mean people are watching less movies in Thailand.

There are a plethora of new and very cheap used bookstores here, at least in the cities but not sure about out in the rice field areas. When all is said and done I think even here most folks prefer owning a book and not having to return it to the library unless they are are very very avid reader without the means to feed their reading habit. When I was a kid the only people who went to the library regularly for non-school work were the kids made fun of daily ... though most probably turned out to be the Bill Gates type, it was just not normal behavior and we didn't have the kind of access to information kids do now through the internet.

Nisa, I am not disagreeing with you people. What I am saying is that the issue is about libraries, which have a distinct contrast to what you are describing. The OP is the man drowning and you are describing the water, or the book stores with couches. They are not libraries.

Additionally, in my mind's eye, I am picturing the general population, who does not have the time or means to go to one of these places and spend hours sipping tea and perusing through he offered resources.

The things you are telling me about do not cover a comprehensive solution for the majority of the population, which I believe this article bemoans. They are good things, but they do not, in my view, hold salt, to use them as any form of argument in seeking a solution, respectfully.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

It's abysmal. sad.png

-mel. coffee1.gifcheesy.gif

I understand what you are saying, yet I would take any foreign teacher (with their creative and imaginative attributes) any day over any Thai teacher. It is not a pretty picture, but spelling and dialect should not be a sole method of judging a teacher's qualifications to elicit in the child the ability to unlock their imagination and creativity; something that Thais have not been able to do for over 2556 years.

Additionally, these criteria you have suggested demean those of us who are parents. As parents, we are all teachers, whether we take that role responsibly or simply assume that role unconsciously. Either way, the child learns from us. There is no need to roll on the floor laughing regarding this issue and the serious ramifications it betokens.

Your logic is simply flawed. Many other factors causing the decline of the American empire. The thai people would benefit tremendously by opening up their horizons, and abandoning the comic books!

Reading more would mean discovery of the truth, and the truth is a rare commodity in Thailand, especially when it comes to their vast mythos of history, religions, origins of their culture, language and many other hard-to-deal-with subjects that are unfortunately beyond reproach. The whole house of cards could so easily fall apart.

It's hard to deal with for Westerners too. It's worrying how many Westerners themselves fail to pick up a proper book and learn about Thailand and it's culture, religion, etc before mindlessly repeating what Thais are spoon-fed in their sub-standard education system; the self-congratulatory, iconographic, narrow-minded untruths just seem to be accepted without question.

So we are no better fellow bar-stool occupiers.

Reading more would mean discovery of the truth, and the truth is a rare commodity in Thailand, especially when it comes to their vast mythos of history, religions, origins of their culture, language and many other hard-to-deal-with subjects that are unfortunately beyond reproach. The whole house of cards could so easily fall apart.

It's hard to deal with for Westerners too. It's worrying how many Westerners themselves fail to pick up a proper book and learn about Thailand and it's culture, religion, etc before mindlessly repeating what Thais are spoon-fed in their sub-standard education system; the self-congratulatory, iconographic, narrow-minded untruths just seem to be accepted without question.

So we are no better fellow bar-stool occupiers.

I thought most westerner's got their info about Thais and Thailand by reading ... even if it is mainly the doom and gloom perspective shared by curmudgeons on Thaivisa.