7 Year Itch

N47HAN

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nkm ...correct and thats why i rode it as far as i could see it was going to last and sold .... time to move to the farm

Good for you. Many here think their property is worth more than what they paid for it, because property always appreciates, right?

Wrong. Phuket's oversupply of property, coupled with a diminishing market, and uncertainty of foreign ownership of land past 30 years, are all having an effect on property sale prices and rental returns. Many properties have been on the market for well over 12 months with very little interest in them. I have seen sale prices drop on specific properties several times.

In the good old days you could sell a beer bar to any starry eyed first timer, a property as well. Those days have gone.

I too have lived in Rawai nearly seven years first 2 renting then buying a house. I am looking at moving somewhere a bit quieter. I bought the house 5 years ago had one neighbour now all around are new condos sprouting up and the orbator still has not put in a proper road. I doubt if there has been a single day when I have not heard building work tile cutting or alike so my peaceful bit of luxury in Paradise has certainly not been what I envisaged. I do not want to go to Issan as I need to be near the sea and shops like Villa Mart. I am lucky as I still work in SE Asia month on month off otherwise I would have moved before now. Roll on the low season as Rawai does get that bit quieter then. Phuket I feel still has a lot to offer away from the Patong Bucket and Spade nonesense but as with others I certainly agree its not as good as it was 7 years ago.

Good luck selling the house, Rawaii has more houses for sale than are occupied.

I am not going to sell the house that is your assumption its a 5 bed with pool & sea views can get 140,000 Thb a month long term rental have had more during high season when I moved once before and stayed in Bangsaray south of Pattaya for about a year. Alas that was a bad move Pattaya is the pits and Phuket I find offers more. No need to sell although many are wanting or looking at leaving Phuket there are many more coming and wanting to stay which for Villa owners who do not want to sell is a good thing.

The only people I see coming and staying are Russians(good for people letting house's I suppose)

I used to go to Nai Harn everyday and how the demographics changed.

What used to be a beach were you heard many languages Italian,French,English is now like a Black Sea resort full of speedo and pork pie hat merchants.

What name do you think Phuket will adopt in the next 7 years.

Phudessa,Phudosstock or Puscow

• Like 1

irish ivan seems you know everything ..how long have u lived n the island? just for interest and to prove to you that yes u can get very good money on rentals...i rented out a 5 bed 4 bath house for three years , had a 14 metre pool all the mod cons , with no seaview ..in Rawai ..for 110,000 per month it was empty for two months in three years ....and every contract was min 6 months ... good properties get good money ....

Yes he knows everything, 229 posts since dec. 21 2012 (end of the world/new age date) so 9.16 avg. per day. The rest of the time he's traveling around the world to find out what we need to know ?? 555 "He's Mr. Know it all" Stevie Wonder

• Like 1

<snip>Try going back to where you came from and see if it hasn't deteriorated there too. <snip>.

I was just there for three months. It hasn't deteriorated at all. Things are improving! Traffic was getting pretty bad again commuting to Silicon Valley. They just built a new marine sanctuary educational center about 2 KM from my house. There aren't a bunch of people that think that they are entitled to get more than a normal days wage for a taxi ride. Employment is up. Fuel is down. No wonder this area is only attracting tourists from emerging economies....

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

@cdmtdm Your right Ive only been living here a few weeks,it will take me some time before I get my badge of honor and can beat my chest and thump bar tops, and let everyone know how long Ive been living in Phuket. But I think you are getting a bit flashed up because I might be right. You didnt rent a condo for 110k a month did you? You might have heard a rumor about it during a happy hour session at tamarind bar, BTW I caught a 2meter yellow fin tuna off cape Panwa the other day.

I think the 7 year itch the OP is talking about might be a sign of boredom. There is still plenty to do in Phuket. Whenever my friends come over for the first and second times they are still amazed at what a paradise it really is. For all those contemplatling leaving, just go and try it out. I reckon you will be back because there isnt really any place to compare to Phuket

I too have lived in Rawai nearly seven years first 2 renting then buying a house. I am looking at moving somewhere a bit quieter. I bought the house 5 years ago had one neighbour now all around are new condos sprouting up and the orbator still has not put in a proper road. I doubt if there has been a single day when I have not heard building work tile cutting or alike so my peaceful bit of luxury in Paradise has certainly not been what I envisaged. I do not want to go to Issan as I need to be near the sea and shops like Villa Mart. I am lucky as I still work in SE Asia month on month off otherwise I would have moved before now. Roll on the low season as Rawai does get that bit quieter then. Phuket I feel still has a lot to offer away from the Patong Bucket and Spade nonesense but as with others I certainly agree its not as good as it was 7 years ago.

Good luck selling the house, Rawaii has more houses for sale than are occupied.

I am not going to sell the house that is your assumption its a 5 bed with pool & sea views can get 140,000 Thb a month long term rental have had more during high season when I moved once before and stayed in Bangsaray south of Pattaya for about a year. Alas that was a bad move Pattaya is the pits and Phuket I find offers more. No need to sell although many are wanting or looking at leaving Phuket there are many more coming and wanting to stay which for Villa owners who do not want to sell is a good thing.

The only people I see coming and staying are Russians(good for people letting house's I suppose)

I used to go to Nai Harn everyday and how the demographics changed.

What used to be a beach were you heard many languages Italian,French,English is now like a Black Sea resort full of speedo and pork pie hat merchants.

What name do you think Phuket will adopt in the next 7 years.

Phudessa,Phudosstock or Puscow

“What name do you think Phuket will adopt in the next 7 years.

Phudessa,Phudosstock or Puscow”

Easy, ‘Putingrad’. thumbsup.gif

Then will come the ‘Fusion Food’...yum yumski....sick.gif

• Like 1

@cdmtdm Your right Ive only been living here a few weeks,it will take me some time before I get my badge of honor and can beat my chest and thump bar tops, and let everyone know how long Ive been living in Phuket. But I think you are getting a bit flashed up because I might be right. You didnt rent a condo for 110k a month did you? You might have heard a rumor about it during a happy hour session at tamarind bar, BTW I caught a 2meter yellow fin tuna off cape Panwa the other day.

I think the 7 year itch the OP is talking about might be a sign of boredom. There is still plenty to do in Phuket. Whenever my friends come over for the first and second times they are still amazed at what a paradise it really is. For all those contemplatling leaving, just go and try it out. I reckon you will be back because there isnt really any place to compare to Phuket

the title of the topic is 7 year itch ...so i guess everyone is posting how long they have lived here in order to put all things in perspective ...your correct it was not a condo i owned and rented out it was a house , a house with walls and a roof ,,you know the type ? i dont drink and dont fish either , but alas still plenty to do in Phuket ...in fact i am learning Russian for free ..

a few weeks hey ..... cheesy.gif

Edited by LivinginKata
remarks aimed at baiting removed

I first moved to Thailand in 2002, but settled permanently in Phuket in late 2005, so that's about 7 years ago. Although I still have a couple of tourist businesses in Phuket, I've seen the 'writing on the wall' and I relocated to Myanmar last year - both for business reasons and altruistic reasons.

The infrastructure obviously 'sucks' here and it will get worse before it gets better. Despite that, I due to launch my first business in Yangon (not tourism, not online) in a couple of months...

I miss decent cheese though :)

Simon

It sucks no matter where you go.

It's great no matter where you go.

Up to you!

No place is perfect.

This one has some pretty good weather,

All the food variety I want.

Yes, it is getting more and more crowded here.

Yeah the traffic sucks. Try going back to where you came from and see if it hasn't deteriorated there too.

Yeah the parking in Patong is taken up by the tuk tuks.

Try finding parking in NY or San Fran.

Took my family to Laem Hin and a longtail to one of those floating restaurants 2 days ago.

Where are you going to find something like that? Chiang Mai? Maybe Pattaya 2 in Issan. Yeah right.

The worst part about here is the silly police (and their ridiculous roadblocks) the lack of decent schools as English speaking teachers rarely stay long.

But, it's still better than anywhere else in Thailand for schools except perhaps Bangkok.

The best part is the beaches and who says we don't have a variety of them?

And the food, and the girls, and the price of new cars, and the boats, the plethora of tennis courts, international restaurants, the dominant religion, nearby islands, airport, choices of hospitals, pharmacies, clinics, luxury home choices, weather, quality of water in the Andaman sea, swimming pools, cheap maids, cleaning, closeness of banks, atms, bars, the jungle (to get my wilderness relax on), etc

And to the guy who says most people only have between 30k and 60k baht a month?

Who have you been hangin out with?

Certainly not the people I know that live here.

Did I mention the food.

I agree with your post. All the reasons you state, are why I still like it here as well.

The thing is, some of the negatives you state have grown in size and/or frequency in recent years. Eg. traffic. Nothing has been done by the powers that be here to address the issue, then either implement strategies to minimise the impact of the issue, or in fact, resolve the issue.

The obvious one is transport - an essential service. We all know why Phuket needs it. We all know it exists elsewhere in Thailand. We all know how it would greatly benefit the island and save lives, and we all know who prospers here from Phuket not having it. Therefore, we will never get it. It's that greed and corruption from "influential people" here that is having such a negative impact on this island and effecting everyone's lifestyle.

Another example you name is the weather. I like the climate here as well. No one can control the weather. Phuket, being in the tropics, it rains a lot. It rained a lot 10 years ago - it rains a lot now. Everyone knows it rains a lot here - no one has a problem with that, but, when they concrete over all the land by building condo's, hotels, shops etc and then do not cater for the storm water, as a result, places that never flood, now flood. The result is, many are now confined to their room/lobby until the water subsides. The rich want their sale money or rent money, but are not compelled to upgrade infastructure to cater for the storm water and now places down the road flood as a result of their new contstruction. It's that short sightedness here that is out of control and damaging the island.

These examples have nothing to do with the TAT, politicians in Bangkok, the value of the baht etc.

In relation to just the above two examples, once again, it's that greed and corruption that is effecting a larger portion of the population on Phuket than it did 10 years ago. Everyone that lives here, or holidays here, is effected by it, as the rich just keep getting richer.

You compare Phuket to other places. Eg. New York and San Francisco. I first compare the Phuket of NOW that I know to the Phuket of BEFORE that I knew, and then make a decision if my quality of lifestyle has improved, or deteriorated.

A while ago, I felt my quality of lifestyle here was deteriorating and I started looking at other destinations. For me, that deterioration in lifestyle seems to be moving along faster than I first anticipated. It has nothing to do with a broken heart from a bar girl, the value of the baht and whether I can afford to live here, the fact that I live in Patong as opposed to Rawai, etc etc and all the other reasons that have been thrown at me on this forum.

For me, the main reason I came here was for the freedom this region provides, and yes, it's still a lot more freedom than my home country, but, living under a corrupt regime of Phuket's "influential people" that force me to constantly make decisions on how to circumvent them getting their hands in my pocket, not due to unaffordablity, but due to principle, along with ridiculous visa laws that does nothing more than flow money to the "visa run industry" does get a bit tiring.

For me, it's an educated analysis of what Phuket was, to what Phuket is now, to what I think Phuket will become, and history is showing it to not be getting any better here, and in fact, getting worse.

To me, Phuket is like a shop. If you are not happy with the service or the product, you go to another shop. There are plenty of other "shops" (destinations) in Thailand and South East Asia where I can go. It's not a sign of weakness to leave Phuket because you've had enough of the "management" here. It's just like leaving a job when you are not happy with it.

The officials should have nurtured and protected Phuket for generations of Thai's to come. Instead, in just around a decade, they have raped and pillaged it to the point of destruction. You can't wind the clock back on what has happened here and I, and others, have been disappointed by it.

Some simply call it "progress" but I call it a disgrace.

• Like 2

Go take a 2 week holiday anywhere and it makes you appreciate phuket more.

I went home thinking i could maybe fit back in, no chance.

Friends have moved on and its harder to meet people as you hit 40 in western society. Here i meet new people daily.

Lost count of the people I have met over the years who declare they are never coming back to Phuket as they have found a 'better' location to live. I laugh when I see them back again after a few months, ask them what went wrong, and they mostly mumbled about that dream location not being what they thought/expected. Funny enough I've even know folks who have gone through this process a few times.

//edit - just to be clear I also know plenty who left and never came back, other than on short beach holidays.

• Like 2

Its never easy living in a major tourist town.

Good People always come and go and lots of oppotunistic scumbags seem to stick around.

I lived in BKK for 5 years prior to Phuket and i wouldnt return there for a free home on sukumvit. Traffic and pollution is what got me here.

We have it lucky here compared to other places.

I also lived in Bangkok for couple of years and would say it's pretty ugly city. There are nice spots and lot's of things to do.. but in general, it's a cray concrete block city. Not comparable to Phuket.

Phuket has the nature, which I hope will stay pretty.

Anyway. I see no wrong that people are looking for better places to live. Even if those places would not turn out as expected.

I guess this is pretty much relevant here.

QXCk6.jpg

Lost count of the people I have met over the years who declare they are never coming back to Phuket as they have found a 'better' location to live. I laugh when I see them back again after a few months, ask them what went wrong, and they mostly mumbled about that dream location not being what they thought/expected. Funny enough I've even know folks who have gone through this process a few times.

//edit - just to be clear I also know plenty who left and never came back, other than on short beach holidays.

That's a fair point, LIK. At the moment, I just shake my head, with a rye smile, at the things I see here and the constant public lies by officials. It's beyond insulting my intelligence and I treat it as a sick joke now.

Admittedly, the lack of transport here frustrates me and severely impedes my freedom, and the traffic, especially the fatal road accidents, all for the almighty baht to go to a few wealthy individuals, does anger me somewhat.

I'll ride he Phuket wave to near the shore line. When the time comes to leave, I will know it's the right decision for me and doubt I will be back on a full time basis. I suspect I will see many leave before me, with not all of them being replaced by newbies. Phuket will always have fond memories for me. For sure, I will come back here for a holiday, probably twice a year.

I have a friend who moved to Chiang Mai. He flies with AirAsia to Phuket, direct, and spends a week here every about 6 weeks. He's happy with that mix. He has volunteered the information that what he saves living in Chiang Mai, pays for his frequent holidays to Phuket. He didn't move because of affordability, is decision to move was based on lifestyle.

Unless Bangkok step in and clean up what they have allowed to continue here for so long, for me, it really is "when" I leave, not "if" I leave, but I'll be here for a while yet.

Phuket has so much potential and so much to offer. Sad to see it being run by crooks for their own self interest to the detriment of everything and everybody.

I also lived in Bangkok for couple of years and would say it's pretty ugly city. There are nice spots and lot's of things to do.. but in general, it's a cray concrete block city. Not comparable to Phuket.

Phuket has the nature, which I hope will stay pretty.

Anyway. I see no wrong that people are looking for better places to live. Even if those places would not turn out as expected.

I guess this is pretty much relevant here.

QXCk6.jpg

Great picture. I've never seen that one before.

I'm no tree hugging greeny, but what officials here don't realise is when the nature runs out from the top of the hour glass, you can't turn it upside down and have the man made constuction turn back into nature.

I think one of the biggest complaint I here from the grumbling expats is the fact that a Sang Som and coke used to cost 10 baht in 1985, some people cant understand inflation. I think when I first got here a bottle of Chang was 40 baht at my local. Its now 50 baht, 1 baht a year on a beer isnt going to break my budget.

I think when peoples budgets get encroached on that is when they want to leave, its more about money than anything else

• Like 1

I think one of the biggest complaint I here from the grumbling expats is the fact that a Sang Som and coke used to cost 10 baht in 1985, some people cant understand inflation. I think when I first got here a bottle of Chang was 40 baht at my local. Its now 50 baht, 1 baht a year on a beer isnt going to break my budget.

I think when peoples budgets get encroached on that is when they want to leave, its more about money than anything else

Chang is still 25 baht at my little local bar!

I think to make it fair. How many people leave through business failure and can't afford to stay compared to the people who can stay but are just sick of Phuket?

I'm thinking first option is most common.

Me personally.Just over Phuket.

I have relocated my business and saving money not having to sit in gridlocked traffic wasting diesel everyday, just make one large delivery to Phuket once a month = quality of life back to 100%

• Like 1

I disagree. I am not extremely wealthy, but I can afford to live a very comfortable life here. The cost of beer could rise significantly, and I know it would be a rip off, but I could still afford to buy it.

It's the "Phuket piss take" on pricing that seems to raise complaints. Most can still afford to pay the inflated prices, but on principle, question why they should have to.

An example, can I afford the 1200 baht round trip in a tuk-tuk down to Kata to have a drink with some friends, yes. Will I pay it, no.

The monopoly, lack of free market forces and out of line increases in commericial rents here is driving up prices, quite fast.

There is a line in the sand for everyone, and it's not always based on ability to pay. Value for money is important to people, so to is not supporting a criminal underworld.

The Chang beer you mention is 50 baht on Phuket, but it's still 40 baht in Pattaya - why, it's the same Chang beer. Phuket being Phuket doesn't justiy a 25% increase in goods and services. Phuket is not 25% better than elsewhere. :)

If you ask a Thai why its more expensive in Phuket for anything and you will always get one answer.

Because come from Bangkok. Its far.

Ok then, I must ask one day, "Why tuk-tuk so expensive," The answer will probably be, "Because tuk-tuk money go to Bangkok. Very far." :) :) :) :)

If you ask a Thai why its more expensive in Phuket for anything and you will always get one answer.

Because come from Bangkok. Its far.

Ok then, I must ask one day, "Why tuk-tuk so expensive," The answer will probably be, "Because tuk-tuk money go to Bangkok. Very far." :) :) :) :)

Exactly.

Chang is still 25 baht at my little local bar!

Do you sit outside supacheap on concrete blocks? Now I wasnt far off about my statement in the O2 bar forum you took a little bit harshly