"...another Russian Tourist Robbed"

toenail

I have lived in the Pattaya area for 8 years (due to work). It seems that purse snatching and crime on tourists seem to be at epidemic proportions. I realize the police cannot be everywhere (plus they are busy giving out tickets to motorbikes). Seem like the innocent tourists need to be warned by all hotels NOT to carry purses and to be on guard with the "scams". Each hotel needs to put out warnings to the tourists. True, it isn't good "PR" for the city but what else can be done?

I think you underestimate how much people are aware of that already and chose to come anyhow. It's like warning peope who go aligator hunting in a swamp that this year their are more moskitos than usual ....... They are aware of the problem already , the extent of the problem isn't really going to change anything they do. How would any tourist find themselves in Pattaya and not know what it's all about already ?

That applys anyplace, how many of the 10,000 or more drunk driving deaths or murders are people really aware of in the US ?

I would imagine that with so much crime most anyplace that only a small percentage is interesting enough for news outlets to even bother to care to report.

It's not a conspiricy it's just that some crimes are interesting enough to make the news and some are not, and some make the news by a reporter just happening to be in the right place at the right time or the victum making it happen themselves.

It only seems to be out of control because of the small population. Phuket even had an Aussie lady killed in Broad daylight during a bag snatch.

But it happens everywhere

Common sense is your best personal protection

• Like 1

I think you underestimate how much people are aware of that already and chose to come anyhow. It's like warning peope who go aligator hunting in a swamp that this year their are more moskitos than usual ....... They are aware of the problem already , the extent of the problem isn't really going to change anything they do. How would any tourist find themselves in Pattaya and not know what it's all about already ?

I think perhaps you overestimate how many people do this research for want of a better expression before visiting...........

Very good chance they'll pick up on the Girly Bars but perhaps not on other stuff. Still a big percentage of people that have no interest in the Internet......

They keep coming because they are newbies and this is their first trip abroad. I mean who else brings their wife and kids to walking street? They're just more cannon fodder for the scammer and thieves..

A lady from the U.S. A. told me her travel agent booked them here on her honeymoon!

If you look at the brochures and travel ads, Pattaya is heaven on earth. First time visitors have NO idea the place is a magnet for criminals who are literally driving about at all hours looking for a good place to rob them. Especially Russians who have chosen Thailand as their first trip out of the country, as many Russians are new to traveling abroad.

• Like 1

If you look at the brochures and travel ads, Pattaya is heaven on earth. First time visitors have NO idea the place is a magnet for criminals who are literally driving about at all hours looking for a good place to rob them. Especially Russians who have chosen Thailand as their first trip out of the country, as many Russians are new to traveling abroad.

Right . So its fair to say a high percent of these first time visitors are not coming back. So that leads to the next question Is there an endless supply of first time visitors in the world or enough to sustain tourism here ,especially from the wealthy ?

Edited by morrobay

Right . So its fair to say a high percent of these first time visitors are not coming back. So that leads to the next question Is there an endless supply of first time visitors in the world or enough to sustain tourism here ,especially from the wealthy ?

It's all a matter of perspective. The fastest growing sector of tourists seem to be Russian (not from Moscow, but from the outer former USSR countries), South Asian (Indian, Pakistan, etc), Middle East and China. If you come from these locations, Pattaya is indeed paradise.

• Like 1

It's all a matter of perspective. The fastest growing sector of tourists seem to be Russian (not from Moscow, but from the outer former USSR countries), South Asian (Indian, Pakistan, etc), Middle East and China. If you come from these locations, Pattaya is indeed paradise.

Yes, I was in Markland Condo-Hotel the other day,and the place was full of first time travelers outside of their country of India.The one excited fellow said to me that the beach was so "beautiful"... the same guy didn't know how to use the elevator (afraid to enter and pressed all the floor buttons!)

I'll explain something to your group. Those regular russians won't be able to afford going abroad. The ones you see in Thailand can. Everyone knows they've got the money therefore are an easy target. noone is going to bother robbing you for your 500 baht. Sounds like you are expressing your discontent about too many russians. The question is was that appropriate when someone got robbed ? I think there are less of them in Hua Hin or else its predominantly you in Samui. I dont think russians will retreat now. Everything is there, tv, radio, businesses whether you like it or not. Sorry about the party pooper. Russians are these and that for whatever reason

Edited by Rimmer
Flame