Bt50M Insurance Fund To Be Set Up To Aid Foreign Tourists In Distress

webfact

Bt50m fund to aid tourists to be set up

Kwanhathai Malakan

The Nation

30197920-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Bt50-million insurance fund will be set up on February 1, aimed at aiding foreign visitors in distress as the government strives to restore international confidence in tourism in Thailand.

After a meeting yesterday of the fund-preparation committee, Tanittha Sawetsila Maneechot, deputy permanent secretary for the Tourism Ministry, told reporters that the working group would ask the Finance Ministry for a Bt50-million budget, which would be used to help foreigners injured or killed in accidents while visiting here.

Pol General Vudh Liptapanlop from the National Police Office discussed with other agencies, including the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO), Consumer Protection Board and Tourist Police about measures to protect foreign tourists from scams as part of preparations for the Asean Economic Community in 2015.

Police and other authorities would enforce laws against tourist swindlers, whose unscrupulous activities had long tainted Thailand's image, he said.

Because such crimes fell within the scope of public fraud, AMLO could seize their assets.

The past week saw a drop |in crime against tourists and many wanted suspects nabbed, |he said.

Police would continue to patrol and arrest con artists at prime tourist destinations such as Pattaya, Samui, Phuket and Chiang Mai, he added.

Thailand's Road Safety Centre, in response to a UK-based foundation's report that Thailand's road fatalities of tourists were high, has proposed the following measures:

nCooperation with Royal Thai Police, Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, embassies, related tourism associations and the Professional Tourist Guide Association of Thailand to reassess the death toll statistics and arrive at a more accurate cause of death;

nEnforcing rules monitoring tour buses, drivers, security equipment and safety systems;

nProviding a road safety handbook to tourists offering tips on staying safe when travelling overland, and encouragement for tourist destinations to improve road safety management through training course and setting up consultancy units.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-15

• Like 2

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The TAT working committee will ask for another 50 million for their budget, doubt that any of this will go to help foreign tourists who have been scamed, robbed, beaten, etc.

It will probably follow the declaration of those on the receiving end of people trafficing, cold weather, droughts, floods, farm prices, etc. The Thai government has put a new limit on the "trickle down effect" when it comes to what ends up at the bottom where it is needed. They seem to invert the pyamid as the guide, in their distribution of monies.

• Like 2

Police and other authorities would enforce laws against tourist swindlers, whose unscrupulous activities had long tainted Thailand's image, he said.

Because such crimes fell within the scope of

public fraud, AMLO could seize their assets.

What about the vast legion of Thai swindlers? Their assets? Oh right, tea money makes these local swindlers an asset to the local economy.

I believe he meant swindlers of tourists. Of course we all know 99% are Thais. But, the hilarious part was the one about police continuing arresting swindlers. In the past five years I cannot recall one instance of any of the taxi, tuktuk, jet ski, or others getting arrested, for anything. People just do not get arrested in Samui, unless they ARE tourists without cash to buy their way out of some incredibly petty crime.

• Like 2

Agree with general consensus. An attempt at damage control.

Lets see their policies on how much monetary assistance for what offense. Is it just,transparent and verifiable? Oops, those words are blasphemy here tongue.png

Edited by atyclb

Because such crimes fell within the scope of public fraud, AMLO could seize their assets.

What about the vast legion of Thai swindlers? Their assets? Oh right, tea money makes these local swindlers an asset to the local economy.

Suggest you re-read the article. It is the Thai swindlers that they are targeting.

• Like 1

Thailand's Road Safety Centre, in response to a UK-based foundation's report that Thailand's road fatalities of tourists were high, has proposed the following measures:

nCooperation with Royal Thai Police, Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, embassies, related tourism associations and the Professional Tourist Guide Association of Thailand to reassess the death toll statistics and arrive at a more accurate cause of death;

At least this, once and for all, proves Nisa wrong about how road deaths are calculated.

It states " Tourist swindlers " I take that to be any nationality that takes advantage out of tourists whilst in Thailand an example would be a jet ski thai trying to blame a tourist for damage to his craft or a farang real estate agent ripping off a tourist !!!!!!!!!!!

thumbsup.gif

Good idea and hope it works.

February 1 is soon...

Yes, I agree, but it is well known that the authorities ie the BIB are in on the scams, and they will still keep on renting motorbikes to tourists with them having a licence or any experience. I don't believe anything is going to change.

thumbsup.gif

Good idea and hope it works.

February 1 is soon...

So is April 1.

Call me cynical, but nothing is going to change. Just more hot air posturing.

Indeed, this is more of the April 1 genre than Feb 1. Around then they will be busy with a crackdown on wet breasts and alcohol at songkrahn, so we could move this to an april 2014 deadline, or 2015, or maybe the year after.

However, given the highly regarded family dynasty involved, I am certain that a large budget will be appropriated by Feb 1 this year.

I was talking with a massage shop lady on Samui last night. She has only none person working with her and has to pay the police Bht2000 every month, i wonder how much the ones with bigger staff have to pay. Surely this is criminal extortion. So why does any government allow it. This is so blatant !

Not licenced?

Doesnt pay taxes?

Premises not adequate health & saftety?

etc

Not so much as the government allow it (although many/most/all probably dont give a jot),

easier and cheaper to pay the BIB off to allow it.

Edited by Farang0tang

Suggest you re-read the article. It is the Thai swindlers that they are targeting.

You mean they are not going to target the BIB or anyone who gains from the swindles?

In theory what the article suggests is good, especially the insurance fund. Enabling someone to be repatriated or to continue hospital treatment could save lives.

But the root causes of the problems are not really addressed:

health and safety measures practically non-existent;

poor public transportation forcing inexperienced riders to rent scooters;

the lack of training for drivers and poor law enforcement:

police corruption.

Until the above measures are addressed accidents and scams will continue unabated.

• Like 1

"Providing a road safety handbook to tourists offering tips on staying safe when travelling overland". I live in soi Khaonoi in Pattaya. They have just ripped up over 2 km of road and there is not one traffic cone to be seen anywhere, the place is a death trap. They are putting in a new main drain and giant holes are apearing all over the place with nothing around them. I have never seen so much danger in so many places in my life. I have told city hall that if this is not looked at i will be uploading a video on yutube. The headline will be the world most dangerous construction workers. All of them are wearing flip flops and no hi viz. talk about not giving a flying <deleted> about anything is an underestimation. There are no road lights also, if you have been to Pattaya it is known as the dark side. There is one gang on the job and they are digging like mearcats and just leaving it like that. What happened to completing one section at a time. Dumb asses.

making thais pass actual driving tests would be a great start, pulling a couple of pieces of string and being able to distinguish between red, green and yellow does not give them any driving skills. Knowing road rules would also go a long way to saving lives as well as police actually patrolling the roads but that would mean that they wouldnt have time to collect their bonuses from the "shops".

• Like 1