I Need To Sell My Old Laptop

innerlight

Okay so i have this 5 year old toshiba laptop. its basically messed up. The computer does turn on it just doesn't start up. from my opinion it has problem with the cpu or the graphic card. but anyways what i need to know is are there any places i can sell internal hardwares in this laptop. no one would buy the laptop itself, thats for sure. right now i want to sell the hardware like the RAM and the motherboard perhaps. About how much can i get for it and where can i sell them

Thanks in advance

Okay so i have this 5 year old toshiba laptop. its basically messed up. The computer does turn on it just doesn't start up. from my opinion it has problem with the cpu or the graphic card. but anyways what i need to know is are there any places i can sell internal hardwares in this laptop. no one would buy the laptop itself, thats for sure. right now i want to sell the hardware like the RAM and the motherboard perhaps. About how much can i get for it and where can i sell them

Thanks in advance

let someone have a look at it.... might only be the motherboard.... that happened to mine.. 6000 THB for new m board after worked like new.... might even work out less than that

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

5 year old laptop parts would be worthless I think! A decent new laptop is <$1000

i don't expect to sell the laptop itself knowing no one would buy it. i meant the hardwares in the laptop. some people actually sell and buy these things in the US even though it's out dated. was wondering if they do too in thailand

Most of the places selling old parts get their inventory for nothing, or next to nothing, from computers that have been thrown out. They are certainly not in the business of shelling out cash for old parts, especially 5 years old.

Seeing as all the components will only be usable in machine of a similar age, there is a very small market for those parts. If anyone offered you money it would be in the 100s of baht or less, and not even worth the effort.

In "Paradise Park" shopping mall (Srinakarin Road) in Bangkok, and probably several other places, there are containers set up, so that people can donate their older and currently useless it equipment. Someone will repair all the donated items (if possible), or use these as spare parts, for the benefit of training students in computer repair and help poor people in Thailand, who can´t afford to buy it-equipment. I have personally already donated several things and strongly hope, that others will do the same.

• Like 1

In "Paradise Park" shopping mall (Srinakarin Road) in Bangkok, and probably several other places, there are containers set up, so that people can donate their older and currently useless it equipment. Someone will repair all the donated items (if possible), or use these as spare parts, for the benefit of training students in computer repair and help poor people in Thailand, who can´t afford to buy it-equipment. I have personally already donated several things and strongly hope, that others will do the same.

Sorry - a bit off the original topic but where about in Paradise are the bins as i have some computer bits to get rid of .I know the shop near the food court that sells donated clothes and stuff and we have donated stuff there so are they connected and if so where are the bins . If i can get rid of computer stuff , i would rather see it be re-used than it go into landfill .

Edited by xen

I'm in the dark about what is "turn on" and not "startup". Do you mean some lights come on and no BIOS video?

Does it give you any error messages or beeps?

Have you tried to boot it from CD or other media?

It could just be a bad hard drive, or memory or anything else without more info.

Thanks in advance

let someone have a look at it.... might only be the motherboard.... that happened to mine.. 6000 THB for new m board after worked like new.... might even work out less than that

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

good advice..same symptoms on my old Aspire ....cost exactly the same for new motherboard too.

Actually initially solved the problem by removing the battery but then it gave up completely...

In retrospect probably should have bought a new laptop as similar spec was about 12k baht...

I agree that it should be repaired or at least try. It may work as new. I also had mainboard problem. Acer tried to fix it it couldnt, so they replaced it (it was under warranty yet) and is fine. Another one, also Acer, PC, mainboard change (out of warranty this time) and all is perfect. In both cases the problem came from the outlet spark and outlets quality (tesco ones) not the acer quality.

Edited by Nebula

btw, if you do sell or scrap it, make sure the hard drive is totally wiped (not just dumping stuff in the trash, but military-grade wipe). Better yet, remove the hard drive & take a hammer to it. Otherwise, some gets their hands on the last 5 years of your life.

Had a similar laptop. Rather expensive Acer (when new). Battery was dead, speakers shot, H/D completely useless and video card gone. In addition the DvD drive wasn't working. The cost of repairing it was phenomenal and even when working it would still be 5 year old technology. Considering a brand name laptop starts at about 10,000 baht now.

Got 500 baht for it in Pantip 2 or 3 months ago Which is probably 450 baht more than it was worth.

Several shops will take it off your hands for a similar amount.

I had a Lenovo Thinkpad and took it to my local computer shop. I was told that the mainboard was gone. I then happened to be in Pattaya so I took it to Tuk Com. That shop also told me the main board was gone so I wanted a price to repair it. He quoted me 10.000 baht. I asked him how much he would give me for it. He pointed to a stack of them and told me that all of them needed a mainboard. I gave that laptop to a Thai friend of mine. The Tuk Com shop advised me to but an Acer. He told me that an Acer wasn't the best but that repairs were cheap and the all the shops had parts. I bought my wife an Acer and a year later the keyboard had dead keys. I have not taken it to be repaired yet.