Visa Services

junglechef

With all the chatter on the immigration reporting does anyone have a rec. for a visa service. Also what's the story on if one is not in CM for the 90 day reporting, can they take care of it for me? (I will be in Thailand but rather have my passport on me while traveling around the country). Or any suggestions on what I can do.

visa service can take care of 90 day reporting for you, without your passport....

Not all of them.

MSPain

-------------------Company called AssistThaiVisa can take care of this. No problem.

Can confirm this.

Chiang Mai Land on the left as you enter from Changklan Road

• Like 1

visa service can take care of 90 day reporting for you, without your passport....

Not all of them.

MSPain

AFAIK all of them can, as well as any other person in Chiang Mai

As long as they made copies of the visa page in your pp &

you have pre-signed your form & they have your last 90 day stamp/paper they clip into your passport

Since 90 day requires neither the person applying nor the passport to be present

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Not all of them.

MSPain

you have pre-signed your form & they have your last 90 day stamp/paper they clip into your passport

Since 90 day requires neither the person applying nor the passport to be present

I used a place once and they required my passport. I asked why, my wife asked why.... They said they must have it.

This was in December, 2012.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Not all of them.

MSPain

I used a place once and they required my passport. I asked why, my wife asked why.... They said they must have it. They also said.

This was in December, 2012.

MSPain

Fair enough, but there are other options for the OP.

I had my last 90 day December 2012 - no passport.

I made the post so the OP would know to check the service he may decide to use to see what they require.

Mania said as far as he/she knows the passport is not required.... I posted that at least one place just one month ago did require it.

I will not use the service I used before and I will try one of the others in the future.

MSPain

By the way...... I was surprised that service asked for my passport because of all the stories I read on ThaiVisa indicating it was not required.

Yes if anyone wants your passport for any reason & they intend to have you leave without it

I say go elsewhere.

Never under any circumstances surrender your passport to anyone.

Not visa services, not rental companies, none.

If they want to make a copy fine, like banks, visa services, some car rental companies, hotels, etc.

But no one should ask you to leave it with them ever. It is actually against the law for you to be without it

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I made the post so the OP would know to check the service he may decide to use to see what they require.

Mania said as far as he/she knows the passport is not required.... I posted that at least one place just one month ago did require it.

I will not use the service I used before and I will try one of the others in the future.

MSPain

By the way...... I was surprised that service asked for my passport because of all the stories I read on ThaiVisa indicating it was not required.

Yes if anyone wants your passport for any reason & they intend to have you leave without it

I say go elsewhere.

If they want to make a copy fine, like banks, visa services, some car rental companies etc.

But no one should ask you to leave it with them ever. It is actually against the law for you to be without it

What law is that? This has been discussed so much on ThaiVisa. I don't remember anyone putting any law up that says that.

I am not saying it is not a law. I am saying I have never seen anything proving one way or the other.

It can be misleading to some people if you say it is against the law if it is not against the law.

I am interested in what the law or regulation might actually be.

MSPain

What law is that? This has been discussed so much on ThaiVisa. I don't remember anyone putting any law up that says that.

I am not saying it is not a law. I am saying I have never seen anything proving one way or the other.

It can be misleading to some people if you say it is against the law if it is not against the law.

I am interested in what the law or regulation might actually be.

MSPain

I would have to say the main law of common sense ;)

How can you be in a foreign country without a passport if a problem arises?

Where is your visa?

Do a search on ThaiVisa forums and you can see all the threads that have been made regarding this. As I said, I don't remember ever seeing a post with the law or regulation.

You could leave your passport in a safe. You could just leave it at home. It's quite easy to be in a foreign country without your passport on you. You said it is against the law to be without the passport, inferring on the person, since my post was about leaving my passport with a visa service. I don't know if that is true and that is what I am trying to find out, not whether it is common sense or not. If you decide to look through the other threads, you will see many posts from people stating they do not carry their passport with them. You could even start another thread probably. Then you will see how many people do not carry their passports.

I carry my passport always. That does not mean it is the law.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Just to give something else for people to consider regarding whether the original passport is needed or not for a visa service to make the 90 day reports

3. Question : What are documents required for 90 days notification of residence ?

Answer : In case of notifying in person or made by agent, documents required are as follows;

• The alien’s passport ( original )
  • Completed form of notification (TM.47) signed by the owner of passport
  • The latest receipt of notification ( if any)

As has been posted by many, there are services that make the reports with just a copy of the passport. I will be trying one of these services soon.

For mail in reports, if you can do that, a copy of the passport is all that is required, according to the Immigration web sites.

As a further note, you are supposed to be able to make the 90 day reports at offices throughout Thailand. In the past I made a 90 day report in Mae Sai. It was fast because there was no one else in the office. You are not supposed to, however, make the visa extension in a different office area of responsibility than your reported address. Mae Sai would not do my visa extension unless I had an address within their area of responsibility.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I did a 90 day last year, over in Mukdhan.

Only customer and the two staff present where 'Pleased' to have a customer.

No problems back in CM when my next 90 day was due.

john

Now I use Thai Visa Assist for my yearly Retirement and 90 day.

CM immigration hate it and even as the Poorest Frang in CM, I consider Thai Visa Assist value for money.

Just to give something else for people to consider regarding whether the original passport is needed or not for a visa service to make the 90 day reports

3. Question : What are documents required for 90 days notification of residence ?

Answer : In case of notifying in person or made by agent, documents required are as follows;

To be perfectly frank, I couldn't care less if the passport is needed or not, as long as the visa assist company keep renewing my 90 days and immigration are happy to do it (after all it's up to them isn't it)? When they say they cannot do it without the original passport, that's when I will care. smile.png

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

MSPain

I say go elsewhere.

If they want to make a copy fine, like banks, visa services, some car rental companies, hotels, etc.

I don't see how you could ever rent a car in Thailand without leaving your passport. It is the only guarantee that they will get the car back from you.

I called American Express about this practice when I needed to rent a car about 2 years ago and the rental company demanded my passport. Amex told me that it was in their absolute right to demand my original passport. We are foreigners in a foreign country and could disappear at any time without returning the car. American Express will only authorize up to a week rental on the card. That will hardly cover the cost of a new car.

The only exception I have seen to this is a couple of times when I have rented motorcycles from the hotel that I was staying at and had established a relationship with the hotel owner. These were small places in Cha Am and Koh Chang. I doubt a large hotel would do it.

To be perfectly frank, I couldn't care less if the passport is needed or not, as long as the visa assist company keep renewing my 90 days and immigration are happy to do it (after all it's up to them isn't it)? When they say they cannot do it without the original passport, that's when I will care. smile.png

I didn't make the post trying to influence you or anyone else. Just more of a paradox on the way things can work.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I didn't make the post trying to influence you or anyone else. Just more of a paradox on the way things can work.

MSPain

No, I know you didn't, I'm just giving you my thoughts on this subject.

It is actually against the law for you to be without it

What law is that ? Please state the exact law word for word or give the number of it to look up ?

For years, as most people I didn't even have one. Many times in my life here in Thailand I have given it to immigration who held it for weeks some times, The police have too. But I know of no law that says I must have it with me at all times,

It is actually against the law for you to be without it

What law is that ? Please state the exact law word for word or give the number of it to look up ?

For years, as most people I didn't even have one. Many times in my life here in Thailand I have given it to immigration who held it for weeks some times, The police have too. But I know of no law that says I must have it with me at all times,

Like you, I've seen statements from the British Embassy et al, saying that by law a foreigner must carry the passport at all times, but I have never seen the actual Thai Law that states this, but I would like to see it, written in Thai.

Like you, I've seen statements from the British Embassy et al, saying that by law a foreigner must carry the passport at all times, but I have never seen the actual Thai Law that states this, but I would like to see it, written in Thai.

+1

It is something I would retract that I said. Seeing how it has become the focus while missing the point that

you like myself have our 90 days done by an inexpensive service painlessly without our passports.

Like you had always "heard" it ( this requirement to keep your passport on your person )

but never bothered to look it up as it does not affect me.

Personally I would never leave my passport with anyone but let me now say instead it is my personal choice

Hope that clears it up for those looking for the letter of the actual law based on

anything I wrote wink.png

As to the renting of a car someone mentioned.

Before we moved here permanently we would rent a car each year for 2-3 months

Never left a passport. But my wife is a Thai National so that may be the difference.

Sorry if one sentence in my original post derailed the thread.

It was not intended to do so.

As has been posted by many, there are services that make the reports with just a copy of the passport. I will be trying one of these services soon.

For mail in reports, if you can do that, a copy of the passport is all that is required, according to the Immigration web sites.

Sorry to say so but your kind of turning a simple topic into a storm in a tea cup.

Many of us use visa services to do our 90 days

We have said they do not need our passports but instead use copies.

Yet you keep inferring it is some kind of dream we are living?

I don't really get your point.

Aside from that what you just quoted above should say something to you too.....

That being that Imm accepted mail in's at some point even if they do not now.

But that does suggest no passport was needed

Last but not least TIT you pay for your ticket you get the show. wink.png

No ticky...No show

Has always been this way no?

Edited by mania

+1

It is something I would retract that I said. Seeing how it has become the focus while missing the point that

you like myself have our 90 days done by an inexpensive service painlessly without our passports.

Like you had always "heard" it ( this requirement to keep your passport on your person )

but never bothered to look it up as it does not affect me.

Personally I would never leave my passport with anyone but let me now say instead it is my personal choice

Hope that clears it up for those looking for the letter of the actual law based on

anything I wrote wink.png

As to the renting of a car someone mentioned.

Before we moved here permanently we would rent a car each year for 2-3 months

Never left a passport. But my wife is a Thai National so that may be the difference.

Sorry if one sentence in my original post derailed the thread.

It was not intended to do so.

Sorry to say so but your kind of turning a simple topic into a storm in a tea cup.

Many of us use visa services to do our 90 days

We have said they do not need our passports but instead use copies.

Yet you keep inferring it is some kind of dream we are living?

I don't really get your point.

Aside from that what you just quoted above should say something to you too.....

That being that Imm accepted mail in's at some point even if they do not now.

But that does suggest no passport was needed

Last but not least TIT you pay for your ticket you get the show. wink.png

No ticky...No show

Has always been this way no?

You sound offended that I put something up which is on the internet. I am not inferring anything. You are assuming that.

I posted that I used a service one time and they required my passport. I have also posted more than once that I will be using a service in the future that does not require more than a copy.

In my opinion you are the one turning the tables. As I posted, it is a paradox. I also posted that I was not trying to influence anybody.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

You sound offended that I put something up which is on the internet. I am not inferring anything. You are assuming that.

I posted that I used a service one time and they required my passport. I have also posted more than once that I will be using a service in the future that does not require more than a copy.

In my opinion you are the one turning the tables. As I posted, it is a paradox. I also posted that I was not trying to influence anybody.

Sorry that was not my intention nor am I offended in any way, why would I be?

Let me simplify, Many of us use services for 90 days because it is very affordable & hassle/risk free.

We do not surrender our passports & are having this experience continue to be so.

If it should ever change I will be sure to post here that I am now doing my own 90 day reports as I

do not give my passport to others.

Sorry for any confusion

Edited by mania

Sorry that was not my intention nor am I offended in any way, why would I be?

Let me simplify, Many of us use services for 90 days because it is very affordable & hassle/risk free.

We do not surrender our passports & are having this experience continue to be so.

If it should ever change I will be sure to post here that I am now doing my own 90 day reports as I

do not give my passport to others.

Sorry for any confusion

I assure you that if you use a visa service for your annual extension then you will have to furnish your original passport.

I've given my passport about 10 times over the last 25 years in Thailand when I've had to. I don't see what the big problem is. But to each their own.

Have rented a car many times in Bangkok and CM without leaving them my passport and I wouldnt because (a) the chance of it being used illegally in my absence and (B) the first hotel we stay at are going to want to see it and photo copy for their reporting.Some will accept a Thai driving licence, some wont. The car companies I use, including Avis, copy the passport and require a 5,000 baht deposit to cover insurance.I think the big deal about reporting and for annnual extension is out of all proportion .If you make an online booking ,go to immigration for 90 day reporting late in the day the whole "problem" takes for me an average of 1.5 hours per annum.Different I guess if you work M-F. But each to his own as has already been said.