GBP to THB Exchange Rate

It looks as though it's mostly Malaysia and Thailand whose currencies are being weakened the most, other regional currencies appear to be strengthening on the back of a promise of a stronger Dollar, Singapore in particular. IF that is the case then this affair will prove costly to BOT, if they really want to keep THB in line with a basket of regional currencies, that also suggests that the current weakening trend is likely to be limited.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks as though it's mostly Malaysia and Thailand whose currencies are being weakened the most, other regional currencies appear to be strengthening on the back of a promise of a stronger Dollar, Singapore in particular. IF that is the case then this affair will prove costly to BOT, if they really want to keep THB in line with a basket of regional currencies, that also suggests that the current weakening trend is likely to be limited.

old story "THB vs. basket of regional currencies" again CM? wink.png

vs USD

SGD lost 5%, MYR lost 11.4%, IDR lost 11.3%, INR lost 20.6%

the BoT tried for a very long time hard to keep the Thai Baht from appreciating, now they can relax and there's no need to waste reserves. inspite of your repeated claims there was never any attempt to "keep THB in line with a basket of regional currencies".

please tell us which "regional currencies appear to be strengthening" and elaborate on the meaning "promise of a stronger Dollar". who promised? and why is the Dollar presently weak and not strong vs. GBP and €UR?

sorry for being a pain in the butt by stating facts wai2.gif

• Like 1

vs USD

the BoT tried for a very long time hard to keep the Thai Baht from appreciating, now they can relax and there's no need to waste reserves. inspite of your repeated claims there was never any attempt to "keep THB in line with a basket of regional currencies".

please tell us which "regional currencies appear to be strengthening" and elaborate on the meaning "promise of a stronger Dollar". who promised? and why is the Dollar presently weak and not strong vs. GBP and €UR?

You're clearly bored this morning:

You will notice the word IF, in capital letters, in bold and underlined, espically for the benefit of our sight challeneged older members, I'll use a biggger font next time as well!

And it has always been the case as far as I can recall that BOT attempts to keep THB in line with a basket of regional currencies, it well even be you that taught me that and I have never suggested otherwise.

Finally, on the subject of a stronger dollar: there's an expectation amongst many market watchers that the ending of the Fed's QE program will cause USD to strngthen as regional currencies evacuate Asia in favour of less risky western markets, indeed that is happening in Thailand currently, India and Indonesia, if you feel that is not the case you could try telling us that, nicely.

It's difficult to be Pound positive when the fundamentals are what they are and you wake up and read stories like this every morning:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10258078/More-QE-could-be-needed-says-MPC-hawk-Martin-Weale.html

I agree CM - there's nothing positive in the market that would warrent an upward trend in GBP against all major currencies.

That's why it's better just to publish the facts and let people make up their own minds.

It would be good if all we had to do was post a series of facts and the answers would then become apparent to everyone, the financial crisis forum seems to do that with an endless stream of articles and press releases but I'm not sure that many people are actually able to join up the dots and/or that the forum itself actually stimulates any conclusions.

So the approach I've taken is to try and stimulate debate in order to see what conclusions emerge, that on the basis that most people come to forums such as this in order to learn and to explore - often that stimulation meanms putting up a straw man Regrettably though there seems to be more trolls these days and fewer people willing to engage in accademic debate either through fear of being though ignorant or the fear of being beaten up verbally by older better informed members! In those respects the objective may be a lost cause.

Edited by chiang mai

CM should join Bank Of England, they like to talk the pound down too.

It's difficult to be Pound positive when the fundamentals are what they are and you wake up and read stories like this every morning:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10258078/More-QE-could-be-needed-says-MPC-hawk-Martin-Weale.html

I did read it. Like you I am a Telegraph reader, it's either that or the Mail.

I concluded it is non news. Can be summed up in one line: if the recovery stalls we might do more QE.

Yes and if we break a tooth we might need to go to the dentist.

Non news.

I concluded it is non news. Can be summed up in one line: if the recovery stalls we might do more QE.

Non news.

OK, so do you think that the current strength of Sterling is justified and secondly, is its current strength helpful to economic recovery?

So the approach I've taken is to try and stimulate debate in order to see what conclusions emerge, that on the basis that most people come to forums such as this in order to learn and to explore - often that stimulation meanms putting up a straw man Regrettably though there seems to be more trolls these days and fewer people willing to engage in accademic debate either through fear of being though ignorant or the fear of being beaten up verbally by older better informed members! In those respects the objective may be a lost cause.

But your debating skills seem to consist entirely of dissing the UKP and UK Government (I agree they are hopeless).

No mention of all the trouble happening in Thailand both economically and politically (Even more hopeless).

In the past 10 years the west was failing and Asia was growing.

Now Asia is failing and the west is growing.

Anyway I said 50 and I was right, if a month too early in my prediction.

At some time I'm sure you will be right with your prediction of 35, but not any-time soon.

OK, so do you think that the current strength of Sterling is justified and secondly, is its current strength helpful to economic recovery?

Sterling is not strong, but the Baht is weaker and still falling. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

More dribble from chiang.. It's gone up from 47.8 to 50.1 from one week ago when you stated that it was going to drop.. So where is the decline then.. You must be embarrassed with your posts as they are way off

Your contribution to the GBP/THB thread thus far has been limited to pointing out that I am wrong but without providing any technical or economic facts why and that's very very trollish. I think you said it all when you pointed out that I'm a guesser! Well yes, that's actually how it works, people make guesses on these things because there is no clear definitive answer beforehand, some people make guesses on the basis of some facts, others simply guess without understanding any of the details, you appear to be the latter. You also seem to think that an assessment made one day is valid for life and that's not the way it works in forex in the real world, so please, no more of, CM said two weeks ago that....blah, blah, blah!

I suggest if that's the limit of your contribution to this thread you consider not posting in it any further since that is the real source of embaressment here, in fact, I think I'll simply put you on ignore from this point on.

• Like 1

But your debating skills seem to consist entirely of dissing the UKP and UK Government (I agree they are hopeless).

No mention of all the trouble happening in Thailand both economically and politically (Even more hopeless).

In the past 10 years the west was failing and Asia was growing.

Now Asia is failing and the west is growing.

Anyway I said 50 and I was right, if a month too early in my prediction.

At some time I'm sure you will be right with your prediction of 35, but not any-time soon.

Sterling is not strong, but the Baht is weaker and still falling.

That's because much more is clear about the UK economy than it is about the Thai economy, more facts, more reporting, more reliable history. And to be honest I find no need to dig down into Thai economics and honestly I doubt that's it's truly possible other than at the newspaper headline level, simply, the facts are not esay to identify or obtain so why sweat it too much.

I think that part of your confusion Tommo is that you allow factors that are not relevant to interfere with any sensibly thoughts you might have on the subject of the economy, politics is not relevant to the exchange rate, the elphant in the roon is not really relevant,corruption is not really relevant yet you seem to focus on those things quite often.

As for the Baht being weaker of the pair, how do you figure, on what basis? And the same question to you, is Sterlings current strength justified and is it helpful to the UK? If so, please explain why and how.

Finally, to be honest I don't really care whether the exchange rate is 350, 50 or 65, to me personally I have no interest in the outcome since I'm positioned well for my needs. But I am very very curious to understand the process and the factors involved in making the pair move one way or the other, that's where my interest lie and not in whether I'll be able to afford another Leo next month.

Non news.

Wrong questions. The only issue is at what GBPTHB rate does one change a larger amount than one normally does. Everything else is fluff.

One last post on this topic and I'm out:

I see from the markets that GBP/THB is showing 49.97 on my screen, back down from the heady highs of 50.15 this AM, be still my beating heart!

Where do I think this is going from here, I have no idea but I suspect that before too long we're going to see the fundamental differences between the two economies emerge in the market, GBP is too strong for a so called recovery that not actually real and the currency needs to be weaker to help exports further, recovery is a great story line that's being well publicised but there's not too much backing it up that's tangible - if the housing market takes off again things might change, personally I think Brits are smarter than to get sucked into New Buy et al in any great volume. GBP will probably devalue through QE within six months (and 50% of my assets are in GBP, in the UK).

GBP will probably devalue through QE within six months (and 50% of my assets are in GBP, in the UK) because there's.no other fuel left to burn and the PR story line is starting to wear thin with most folks, I truly wish it were different but that's how I see things.

Thailand on the other hand, depsite all of its problems (most of which have existed from Day 1, important to remember that), does have exports, an export market, an inexpensive work force and regional trading partners, not much else is worthy of mention I reckon.

The Thai economy will hiccup and burp along a rocky winding road and will recover from the current downturn, I'm certain of that.

All done.

Symmetrising the causes:

-Faltering asian exports etc due to weakness in the west and feared the once strong exporting nations will falter because of continuing or declining demand.

But then in the same breath they talk of:

- improving conditions in western economies means investment flows in to them now.

Doesn't really add up. If the west is really experiencing strong recovery and looking at strong growth then this should increase consumption/ demand for the asian exporters products, benefiting these nations.

So the two reasonings do not sit well together at all.

I suggest that this is just "hot money" , speculators cash following a herd due to the fed tapering story. Little economic reality behind it at all.

vs USD

You're clearly bored this morning:

You will notice the word IF, in capital letters, in bold and underlined, espically for the benefit of our sight challeneged older members, I'll use a biggger font next time as well!

And it has always been the case as far as I can recall that BOT attempts to keep THB in line with a basket of regional currencies, it well even be you that taught me that and I have never suggested otherwise.

Finally, on the subject of a stronger dollar: there's an expectation amongst many market watchers that the ending of the Fed's QE program will cause USD to strngthen as regional currencies evacuate Asia in favour of less risky western markets, indeed that is happening in Thailand currently, India and Indonesia, if you feel that is not the case you could try telling us that, nicely.

please don't bore me to death with

-if

-i can recall

-there's an expectation

and stick "nicely" to verifiable facts.

assumptions and forecasts are opinions and you know the saying about opinions in context with the orifice we all got. this is as nice as i can get when i hear unsubstantiated assumptions which the average financial layman seeking information might confuse with facts.

fact: we discussed the topic (THB / basket of currencies) head-on several times a long time ago. you presented that theory and i vehemently denied it (more than once).

Symmetrising the causes:

-Faltering asian exports etc due to weakness in the west and feared the once strong exporting nations will falter because of continuing or declining demand.

But then in the same breath they talk of:

- improving conditions in western economies means investment flows in to them now.

Doesn't really add up. If the west is really experiencing strong recovery and looking at strong growth then this should increase consumption/ demand for the asian exporters products, benefiting these nations.

So the two reasonings do not sit well together at all.

I suggest that this is just "hot money" , speculators cash following a herd due to the fed tapering story. Little economic reality behind it at all.

Well, perhaps the demand for Thai products is dependent upon price? The baht/£ has changed by about 30% in the last five years wink.png

If you take a rough average of say £ at 55 then falling to 45 - products would still be 18.8% dearer - let alone the rises due to inflation, production, transport cost increases etc

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

I see from the markets that GBP/THB is showing 49.97 on my screen, back down from the heady highs of 50.15 this AM, be still my beating heart!

Where do I think this is going from here, I have no idea but I suspect that before too long we're going to see the fundamental differences between the two economies emerge in the market, GBP is too strong for a so called recovery that not actually real and the currency needs to be weaker to help exports further, recovery is a great story line that's being well publicised but there's not too much backing it up that's tangible - if the housing market takes off again things might change, personally I think Brits are smarter than to get sucked into New Buy et al in any great volume. GBP will probably devalue through QE within six months (and 50% of my assets are in GBP, in the UK).

GBP will probably devalue through QE within six months (and 50% of my assets are in GBP, in the UK) because there's.no other fuel left to burn and the PR story line is starting to wear thin with most folks, I truly wish it were different but that's how I see things.

Thailand on the other hand, depsite all of its problems (most of which have existed from Day 1, important to remember that), does have exports, an export market, an inexpensive work force and regional trading partners, not much else is worthy of mention I reckon.

The Thai economy will hiccup and burp along a rocky winding road and will recover from the current downturn, I'm certain of that.

All done.

Spot on, CM except for the bit where you say Brits are too smart to get sucked into the hype.

• Like 1

All done.

Couldn't be more wrong if you tried.. Thailand is on the downturn as England is on the upturn... I'm not going to reply to your garbage anymore.. You said it was going to devalue at 47.8 it's now 50.. The Thai government is killing the country with the rice scheme and the trillion dollar loans and letting a fugitive be in charge.. Burma will take over the exports of Thailand in years to come..

Non news.

I don't think it is strong, about average to the dollar and low against the baht. I think against some notional basket of world currencies it is about where it should be.

Generally, yes a weaker pound would benefit exports but it hasn't had the desired effect so far. I do suspect BoE would like it trading at about 1.45 to the USD, and would guess that they couldn't give a monkeys' about its level to the Baht, nor their counterparts in BoT.

But I think the main pivot is the Thai Baht. True the Thai balance sheet is enviable, curent account surplus plus just 44% public debt to GDP, but a poor and weakening growth rate is no good for such an economy, and weakening consumer demand too due in no small part to 80% household debt. And it seems to be all talk, talk as usual about domestic investment.

So I think it is more about is the strong baht justified? and will the baht fall more than the pound; and I think yes it will. I'd expect a bit of a bounce back next week though.

With the baht always a chance of a big game changer too, and whilst that possibly was remote a year ago, not so now.

I see this whole exchange rate increase as - when you buy one get one free pizza you tend to buy and extra drink and a desert so you spend the same money. So the exchange rate improves for the purchaser of the currency - therefore all are pleased and you arrive in thailand thinking how well you do from your exchange rate. - you then spend more as you feel so happy about it all. As you think what a deal. Same as the buy one get one free and half price item. Encourages you to simply spend more but at the same time encourages spending and the economy continues to improve.