Growing Grass In Thailand

westbounder

Hi,

I just built a new house here in Chiang Mai.

I have about 1 rai of area that I want to plant with grass to make beautiful.

I notice they sell two types of sod (pre grown squares of grass) here in Chiang Mai.

I was told all the grass is grown in Bkk and shipped here.

One variety looks nice and is soft and the other is thick, course and ugly looking.

What is the difference in them? I would prefer to use the soft nice looking grass everywhere on my land if possible.

Once planted, is there much maintenance and also how often must it be cut?

Please tell me any facts that you can if you have any experience with this.

Thank you kindly...

Twice over the past couple years I sodded my (small) yard with the finer Zoysia grass. It just doesn't grow well if there's the least bit of shade. I've given up and finally found very good success with the Malaysia grass, the one with broad leaves.

Regular watering, though not necessarily daily, is needed this time of the year, but in a couple months as the really hot weather arrives I suspect that I'll be watering the grass daily, if not twice a day. I've not gone through a hot season yet with the new grass. The rains usually come sometime toward the end of April.

In my opinion, to look nice the Malaysia grass does need mowing, though not as frequently as the Zoysia. Zoysia will start to matt down if it gets too long.

I think that the Malaysia is able to root better in the poor soil that we have around here. You could check out the athletic fields that have natural grass, and inquire about what works for there.

As above, broad-leaf turf will tolerate local conditions best with minimal maintenance, over a large area.

Soil preparation is important to ensure good drainage (coarse sand mixed with soil), a correct pH balance, and an irrigation system.

I'm not sure where to buy pH test kits, perhaps Kamthieng plant market garden supplies? Someone else may know. Pre-mixed soil conditioners are certainly available there @ 120bt a bag.

Edited by kaptainrob