U.s. Federal Income Tax Preparer

mgbcnx

Does anybody know of an American living in Chiang Mai who has had long experience preparing Federal income tax returns--and, for a "consideration," accepts new clients? My return for 2012 is fairly straightforward, but I hesitate to do it myself.

Any recommendations?

If you haven't tried any of the online software (TurboTax, etc.), you might find this is all you need if your situation is indeed 'straight forward'. Millions of satisfied users every tax filing season, and if they weren't accurate and reliable, they wouldn't be in business. Plus they are cheap inexpensive.

If you are named Mitt Romney, then you best find a tax pro.

Unless you have a complex tax situation, TurboTax is as easy as it gets. For the vast majority of Americans, the IRS simply compares what you send with what they already know, which is just about everything, and send you a corrective notice if your calculations don't match up to theirs. For most Americans there is no justification for spending the time and money to fill out the 1040, but certain people, from the accounting industry to H&R. Block to Intuit, do profit from the pointlessness of filling out the 1040 and lobby strongly against the idea of the government sending out a tax bill without need to fill out the forms.

• Like 1

I agree with the TurboTax suggestion. It was able to handle my taxes even during years where I had rental property, was self-employed, and had investment accounts to deal with and did it with no sweat. Never got audited or had the IRS complain so I think it must do ok.

David

Unless you have some additional income other than social security or pension income, the tax form is very simple. This year it is slightly complicated in that the standard deduction calculation is different and the formula so far for the amount of tax you have to pay is different if they don't come out with regular tax tables.

I am only waiting for my 1099 on my social security but I know what it will say so I have my return done and just waiting on the SSA-1099 for confirmation. I have also finished my best friend's return and waiting for the same info as I am looking for myself.

I can't see paying out money for something so simple and I used TurboTax before. It is good but for such simple math, not worth it.

Unless you have some additional income other than social security or pension income, the tax form is very simple. This year it is slightly complicated in that the standard deduction calculation is different and the formula so far for the amount of tax you have to pay is different if they don't come out with regular tax tables.

I am only waiting for my 1099 on my social security but I know what it will say so I have my return done and just waiting on the SSA-1099 for confirmation. I have also finished my best friend's return and waiting for the same info as I am looking for myself.

I can't see paying out money for something so simple and I used TurboTax before. It is good but for such simple math, not worth it.

Anyone in Chiang Mai tried to create a My Social Security Account online? It's a new feature which gives you online access to your personal SSA account, 1099 form, etc. Problem for American expats is that you cannot do it from an IPA address outside the USA!!! Bummer. We'll just have to wait for the Thai mailman to deliver the 1099.

Dr. Joe Krebs

http://www.us-taxpayers.com/

I'm afraid he recently retired. Last I heard he was in the US for medical treatment and I don't know if his partner will continue the practice

Looks like you're right. I received no response to my e-mail...

Are there other licensed American tax preparers in Chiang Mai? How about Bangkok?

Posted Yesterday, 20:39

If none of the above suit you Lanny Williams in Bangkok may be able to work something out with you via e-mail etc.

Contact info on Bangkok Embassy web site

I did look for him on the Bangkok Embassy website--but found no mention of any individuals by name--except the ambassador.

Dr. Joe Krebs

http://www.us-taxpayers.com/

I'm afraid he recently retired. Last I heard he was in the US for medical treatment and I don't know if his partner will continue the practice

Looks like you're right. I received no response to my e-mail...

Are there other licensed American tax preparers in Chiang Mai? How about Bangkok?

There is another tax professional here among the C.M. ex-pat community. He used to be active on the forum but have not seen him post recently. Maybe he'll see this and contact you.

Posted Yesterday, 20:39

If none of the above suit you Lanny Williams in Bangkok may be able to work something out with you via e-mail etc.

Contact info on Bangkok Embassy web site

I did look for him on the Bangkok Embassy website--but found no mention of any individuals by name--except the ambassador.

The firm name is Nawarat, Williams & Co., Ltd. Lanny Williams is the Managing Director

Anyone in Chiang Mai tried to create a My Social Security Account online? It's a new feature which gives you online access to your personal SSA account, 1099 form, etc. Problem for American expats is that you cannot do it from an IPA address outside the USA!!! Bummer. We'll just have to wait for the Thai mailman to deliver the 1099.

Here's a better description of this new feature on (U.S.) Social Security website:

Social Security Announces New Online Services

January 7, 2012

Michael J. Astrue, Commissioner of Social Security, today announced the agency is expanding the services available with a my Social Security account, a personalized online account that people can use beginning in their working years and continuing throughout the time they receive Social Security benefits.

More than 60 million Social Security beneficiaries and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients can now access their benefit verification letter, payment history, and earnings record instantly using their online account. Social Security beneficiaries also can change their address and start or change direct deposit information online.

"We are making it even easier for people to do their business with us from the comfort of their home, office, or library," Commissioner Astrue said. "I encourage people of all ages to take advantage of our award-winning online services and check out the new features available through an online my Social Security account."

Social Security beneficiaries and SSI recipients with a my Social Security account can go online and get an official benefit verification letter instantly. The benefit verification letter serves as proof of income to secure loans, mortgages and other housing, and state or local benefits. Additionally, people use the letter to prove current Medicare health insurance coverage, retirement or disability status, and age. People can print or save a customized letter.

Social Security processed nearly nine million requests for benefit verification letters in the past year. This new online service allows people to conduct business with Social Security without having to visit an office or make a phone call, and very often wait for a letter to arrive in the mail. It also will reduce the time spent by employees completing these requests and free them to focus on other workloads.

People age 18 and older can sign up for an account at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount. Once there, they must be able to provide information about themselves and answers to questions that only they are likely to know. After completing the secure verification process, people can create a my Social Security account with a unique user name and password to access their information.

People age 18 and older who are not receiving benefits can sign up for a my Social Security account to get a personalized online Social Security Statement. The online Statement provides eligible workers with secure and convenient access to their Social Security earnings and benefit information, and estimates of future benefits they can use to plan for their retirement. In addition, the portal also includes links to information about other online services, such as applications for retirement, disability and Medicare.

"Given our significantly reduced funding, we have to find innovative ways to continue to meet the needs of the American people without compromising service," said Commissioner Astrue. "These new enhancements will allow us to provide faster service to more people in more places."

For more information, please go to http://www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.

Has anyone in Chiang Mai been able to successfully create their own My Social Security Account ?

Has anyone in Chiang Mai been able to successfully create their own My Social Security Account ?

Yes. I sent up my account last year while in CM.

I do want to clarify that I have not yet applied for my SS benefits. I setup my online account to see my annual report or up to date estimated benefits. Currently, it is my understanding that you have to live in the US to apply for SS benefits either in person or online. I have a Thai address. Maybe applying online will be available when I apply next year. I don't know about downloading 1099s from this site. I know I can download my 1099 from the TreasuryDirect another Fed website.

I was going to recommend "I-CAN E-File", a free service offered by the Orange County Legal Aid Society. Our credit union (not in California) had a link to it on their website a few years ago and I tried it out, sort of as a lark, prior to loading the Turbo Tax program we'd purchased. With less than an hour investment in I-Can E-file, I had our taxes done! Never did load Turbo Tax. The next year, I discovered they'd stored all the data from the previous year, so I didn't have to re-enter bank addresses, etc. Got our taxes done in about 1/2 hour that year.

But, bummer -- it's no longer available! Our credit union is now recommending Tax-Act, which several others have mentioned in this thread. I hope it also retains data from year-to-year, so I don't have to input addresses for every 1099 each year.

Edited by NancyL

"Contrary to rumors, Joe Krebs will re-open for business on February 1st."

You can't stay in business by ignoring your mail. Not reassuring to a prospective client...

Maybe he is in the hospital and can't? Or traveling back from the USA.

Dr. Krebs is very professional. Have a little patience. If he has been ill, then maybe he is a little behind in answering correspondence.

I do want to clarify that I have not yet applied for my SS benefits. I setup my online account to see my annual report or up to date estimated benefits. Currently, it is my understanding that you have to live in the US to apply for SS benefits either in person or online. I have a Thai address. Maybe applying online will be available when I apply next year. I don't know about downloading 1099s from this site. I know I can download my 1099 from the TreasuryDirect another Fed website.

A fellow expat who came here two years in advance of his chosen SS plan just finished applying. No problem to do it through the Manila office.

He started with a visit to the consulate here, and they put him in touch with the people in Manila. Everything was done by email, ground mail, and telephone. He got his first check last month.

I neglected to mention, if you live here, you can send your application to the US Embassy in Manila.