Khao Yai To Be Closed To Motorists?

wilcopops

In addition, by setting Khao Yai and Phu Hin Rong Kla National Parks as green zones, visitors will not be allowed to bring private vehicles into the parks. Tourists will only be allowed to enter the parks in electric cars, provided by the park authorities.

Easy to explain. A new way to generate income.

• Like 2

In addition, by setting Khao Yai and Phu Hin Rong Kla National Parks as green zones, visitors will not be allowed to bring private vehicles into the parks. Tourists will only be allowed to enter the parks in electric cars, provided by the park authorities.

I rather doubt it. Surely the number of visitors will plummet - as will entrance ticket revenue - if they introduce this hare-brained scheme.

I rather doubt it. Surely the number of visitors will plummet - as will entrance ticket revenue - if they introduce this hare-brained scheme.

It depends on who is supplying the electric cars. They will make money, even if the government loses some.

• Like 1

Doubt if either will work as on public holidays etc there will be full public access.......whereas the other days tye place is empty anyway.........sounds like someone's just found an imaginative way of unloading some unwanted electric cars.

what about the campsites? no vehicles there? So you'll have to unload all your equipment in the "new car parking facility" (???) and transfer to an electric vehicle which you will have to charge up at the campsites on the "new charging stations"???

Edited by wilcopops

Great news! I don't care about Phu Hin Rong Kla, but Khao Yai is a major nature reserve, already suffering from far too much disturbance.

I can't see the need to be selective in how National Parks are managed 0- (nature reserve is the wrong expression) - I would say that it is far from "great news" - it merely underlines how incompetent the Dept NP are at managing their charges.

A successful National Park system is one that realises it is in charge of a valuable national resource that should be enjoyed by many. However it then needs to put in place systems and infrastructures that facilitate this as well has preserving wildlife and the natural environment in general. In this current measure, I see no evidence of that at all., just a nape of neck reaction from some nabob who apparently has little or no knowledge of managing a country's wildlife.

it's an excellent method of getting rid of tourists. Considering that many (most?) Thais won't walk more than a 100 meters if they can ride a scooter, the wildlife will soon get a much needed rest from all the traffic. Farangs will quickly forego the place if they have to pay 400 baht for nothing you can't see just about everywhere else for free.

• Like 1

at 400 bhat to get in I'd want a guide....... w00t.gif

I think it's 200 baht

Services

The park is often visited by travelers from Isan, Bangkok and beyond. The fee (per day) is 400 baht for foreigners (200 for children), and 40 for Thais or Thai residents, plus 50 baht for vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khao_Yai_National_Park

I know, I know ... wikipedia is not always correct... ;)

I think it's 200 baht

Services

The park is often visited by travelers from Isan, Bangkok and beyond. The fee (per day) is 400 baht for foreigners (200 for children), and 40 for Thais or Thai residents, plus 50 baht for vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia....i_National_Park

I know, I know ... wikipedia is not always correct... wink.png

last time I went I paid 130 for the car and 2 people.....showing a Thai DL.

There are 2 roads over the Khao Yai range from south to north; the eastern one is a major highway #304 from Kabinburi over to Pak Thong Chai and Khorat. Further west there is a minor road which goes from Prachinburi over to Pak Chong, and on that one you pay a fee to enter. Presumably that's where cars will be banned. I can't imagine the 304 being closed, even though it goes through the National Park.

I think it's 200 baht

Services

http://en.wikipedia....i_National_Park

I know, I know ... wikipedia is not always correct... wink.png

last time I went I paid 130 for the car and 2 people.....showing a Thai DL.

Correct, I was there at new year, 40 baht per person + 50 for the car = 130 baht.

Wasnt even asked for a Thai DL, the whole conversation took place in Thai, the girl asked me how long I have lived here etc etc, then told me 130 baht.

Would like to know where they are going to set up a car park for the visitors?

You want another laugh, on your LH side as you enter the park, right infront of the prices is another sign written in Thai, no alcohol, no loud music, no feeding the animals etc etc, I must have been there at the same time as a bunch of illiterates.

The one thing I did see was the staff checking motorcycles for noise, there was a shitload parked up on the LH side beside the toilets that had been refused access.

The director has taken heat for allowing alcohol and negotiating with illegal resorts recently so restricting access to the most popular park in Thailand in the name of "protecting the environment" might be a stunt to improve his image a bit. What threatens these parks is politicians more concerned about their status and ignoring basic park improvements and law enforcement that could protect the environment. Not the millions of foreign/local tourists; the majority of which actually love nature.

Edited by ubonrthai

I think there may be a little bit of poetic license in the article. The story was not carried by any of the other main media as far as I can see. And it would be headline stuff for them - real pot stirring stuff.

The DNP definitely have plans and that's fantastic because the current situation does not work and is getting worse re vehicles and partying. And these plans are not "new" they have been working on them for over 3 years now. They first announced their intention to restrict access and usage in 2010 but without any details.

But I think you can take the "ban" with a pinch of salt.

I think there may be a little bit of poetic license in the article. The story was not carried by any of the other main media as far as I can see. And it would be headline stuff for them - real pot stirring stuff.

The DNP definitely have plans and that's fantastic because the current situation does not work and is getting worse re vehicles and partying. And these plans are not "new" they have been working on them for over 3 years now. They first announced their intention to restrict access and usage in 2010 but without any details.

But I think you can take the "ban" with a pinch of salt.

Having "plans" and being "fantastic" don't necessarily follow one another. Previous experience shows that elements of the DNP are both corrupt and incompetent.......with little or no knowledge or nature conservation so I'd be very wary of any "plans" they had.