Easiest Border-Run Ever

Pattaya28

Drove from Pattaya this morning, left 5.15 am, to Ban Laem. 250 km. 3 hrs 45mins. Excellent visa-service company there. As I approached Thai Immigration, a representative from the visa-service asked to see my passport and visa application for Cambodia. It was the wrong application, and I only had 1 photo, not 2. He took me aside after I had passed though Thai Immigration and proceeded to fill out for me the correct application. Then another representative took my passport and new application through the relevant process and returned my passport with the Cambodian visa, + in/out stamps, all within 10 mins. The queue to exit Thailand took 3 mins and the queue to re-enter Thailand took 5 mins. The entire process from from leaving Thailand and re-entering was a grand total of 20 mins. Unbelievable!! And the cost to me from the visa-service company, which included the Cambodian visa, was 1300 Baht. Again, unbelievable, considering the visa is 800 Baht.

Would highly recommend the above. Pain free (no queuing) and low cost (1300 Baht + fuel).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Then another representative took my passport and new application through the relevant process and returned my passport with the Cambodian visa, + in/out stamps, all within 10 mins. The queue to exit Thailand took 3 mins and the queue to re-enter Thailand took 5 mins. The entire process from from leaving Thailand and re-entering was a grand total of 20 mins. Unbelievable!! And the cost to me from the visa-service company, which included the Cambodian visa, was 1300 Baht. Again, unbelievable, considering the visa is 800 Baht."

500B for 20 minutes of assistance with paperwork sounds rather expensive to me. That's nearly 2 days wages for many Thai people.

• Like 1

It would seem to me the service was worth it in education value alone as they quickly spotted two errors / omissions that OP had made and corrected them. So next time - when properly prepared with forms and photos OP will not need the service. I learned something from just reading the account... Thank you OP.

• Like 1

"Then another representative took my passport and new application through the relevant process and returned my passport with the Cambodian visa, + in/out stamps, all within 10 mins. The queue to exit Thailand took 3 mins and the queue to re-enter Thailand took 5 mins. The entire process from from leaving Thailand and re-entering was a grand total of 20 mins. Unbelievable!! And the cost to me from the visa-service company, which included the Cambodian visa, was 1300 Baht. Again, unbelievable, considering the visa is 800 Baht."

500B for 20 minutes of assistance with paperwork sounds rather expensive to me. That's nearly 2 days wages for many Thai people.

I think that extra 500 Baht was good value. 300 Baht of that would pay the "tea-money" to the Cambodian official to give an entry and exit stamp together without having to spend 24 hours in Cambodia. And 200 Baht of that would save me queuing for the visa, then queuing to enter, then exit Cambodia

For border runs like that I get a Cambodian E-Visa on the net - $25 and no page in my passport.

Ride my bike to border, which is a nice ride out of the city (BKK). Put in my iPod and walk through the scammers. Walk back through with my stamps 5 minutes later.

Brilliant.

• Like 2

500 KM with a Pickup = ~50 l Diesel = 1500 Baht (more, if you have "benzine" car)

+ 1300 Baht for the Visa = 2800 Baht, plus you have to drive yourself...

Travel agencies will charge you 1800-1900 Baht for the same service, all incl.

But you have the risc, getting a suicidal driver bah.gif

I think that extra 500 Baht was good value. 300 Baht of that would pay the "tea-money" to the Cambodian official to give an entry and exit stamp together without having to spend 24 hours in Cambodia. And 200 Baht of that would save me queuing for the visa, then queuing to enter, then exit Cambodia

There is no rule stating you have to spend 24 hours in Cambodia........just a Cambodian Immigration trick to fleece some easy money.

• Like 1

500 KM with a Pickup = ~50 l Diesel = 1500 Baht (more, if you have "benzine" car)

+ 1300 Baht for the Visa = 2800 Baht, plus you have to drive yourself...

Travel agencies will charge you 1800-1900 Baht for the same service, all incl.

That's certainly how I did it, before I got my retirement extension. I just looked on it as a day out.

There is no rule stating you have to spend 24 hours in Cambodia........just a Cambodian Immigration trick to fleece some easy money.

It's amazing how the suckers get sucked in.

Probably paid for the 500b one day exit/entry Thai stamp on the way out so he could leave and come back on the same day too. cheesy.gif

Pay your $25 online for the Cambodian E-Visa and that is it in fees. Anything else is you being conned.

Edited by cbrer

Probably paid for the 500b one day exit/entry Thai stamp on the way out so he could leave and come back on the same day too. cheesy.gif

Pay your $25 online for the Cambodian E-Visa and that is it in fees. Anything else is you being conned.

and to save miserly 500 baht, should you encounter some problems at the border, can always come on Thai Visa to "warn" others.rolleyes.gif

Really some people just can not help themselves but to bring others down

I had and will always use the agents to do my visa's in a country like Thailand where in a split of a second depending on the mood or the angle of the sun shine things can change.

I do my visa extensions through my lawyer and happily pay the fee because i do not need to go queue up or have any hassles at all.

OP, thanks for sharing, the only part of your trip i do not agree with is driving yourself, as going with a mini van is cheaper, though if one enjoys driving it could also be fun.

• Like 1

and to save miserly 500 baht,

You referring to this:

Probably paid for the 500b one day exit/entry Thai stamp on the way out

huh.png

That would be borderline extortion by officials inventing a visa stamp they say you must have, and have to pay 500b for, but is a complete fabrication and doesn't even exist. laugh.png

So yes, every time I've done a border run I've just walked past them with my iPod plugged in.

Are you suggesting I should stop and give money to criminal extortionist for nothing? huh.png

should you encounter some problems at the border,

Problems by already having a Visa to enter Cambodia? cheesy.gif

What on Earth are you on about man? huh.png

"I had and will always use the agents to do my visa's in a country like Thailand where in a split of a second depending on the mood or the angle of the sun shine things can change."

You realize that we're talking about visas for Cambodia, not Thailand??

A visa you can buy online in about 5 minutes up to (and probably beyond) a month in advance?

Never mind lad, perhaps there's another thread you can big yourself up on. giggle.gif

Edited by cbrer

Why the need to shatter his illusion and try to make him look stupid.blink.png

You must be new to internet forums.

No I'm not but sometimes the bickering gets to me.

Not enough good experiences come to TV just because of this.

OP will think twice before posting again, and that's a shame.

End of rant tongue.png

Yermanee wai.gif

Only if he's delicate of nature/ego. He's been given some stellar advice on here by yours truly. That's what it should be about. :)

That would be borderline extortion by officials inventing a visa stamp they say you must have, and have to pay 500b for, but is a complete fabrication and doesn't even exist. laugh.png

So yes, every time I've done a border run I've just walked past them with my iPod plugged in.

Are you suggesting I should stop and give money to criminal extortionist for nothing? huh.png

"I had and will always use the agents to do my visa's in a country like Thailand where in a split of a second depending on the mood or the angle of the sun shine things can change."

A visa you can buy online in about 5 minutes up to (and probably beyond) a month in advance?

Never mind lad, perhaps there's another thread you can big yourself up on. giggle.gif

Yes sorry to take away your glory of trying to put someone down, because Cambodian officials never extort or come up with silly rules.

After all, you have almost 1000 posts so an expert and 500 baht is such a huge amount of money and one should worry about it endlessly

I had and will always use the agents to do my visa's in a country like Thailand where in a split of a second depending on the mood or the angle of the sun shine things can change.

I do my visa extensions through my lawyer and happily pay the fee because i do not need to go queue up or have any hassles at all.

I dont think that many people on visa runs get refused entry into Cambodia, so there wont be much for an agent to do there.

And if you need to make a visa run then you have to cross the border in person anyway, at least you do if you want it to be legal.

So there's not much an agent can do for those who have to make visa runs. One could use an agent to get a Thai visa extension issued, but it's such an easy and quick procedure for retirement extensions that I really dont see the point paying anyone to help.

I dont think that many people on visa runs get refused entry into Cambodia, so there wont be much for an agent to do there.

And if you need to make a visa run then you have to cross the border in person anyway, at least you do if you want it to be legal.

So there's not much an agent can do for those who have to make visa runs. One could use an agent to get a Thai visa extension issued, but it's such an easy and quick procedure for retirement extensions that I really dont see the point paying anyone to help.

no they do not get refused, but they do get extorted for things like health certificate, also on the way back to Thailand with many stamps, they can make a problem, so paying 500 baht to ensure smooth deal is really not a big deal nor it is a huge amount of money.

It is silly to say that 500 baht is what thai people earn in 2 days, because we are not Thai, so no point trying to compare, not to mention only uneducated earn that little ie the minimum wage.

The reason for bringing up my visa extensions is merely to underline while a large number of "bargain hunters" would go jump through the hoops, stress and headache to save a few thousand to extend their visa, i personally ALSO prefer to pay the fee as my time and health is worth little more than a few hundred dollars.

Yes sorry to take away your glory of trying to put someone down, because Cambodian officials never extort or come up with silly rules.

That's why you get the Visa beforehand... not that quick at catching onto things eh.

BTW, the extortion happens to people before they get to the stamp-in desk, that's why you walk through it all with your visa already in your passport.

You walk through ignoring everyone with your headphones plugged in. Hand your passport over with the visa, wham, bam, thank you mam, stamped in.

After all, you have almost 1000 posts so an expert and 500 baht is such a huge amount of money and one should worry about it endlessly

huh.png

Not a good day for you mate? I'm sensing misdirected anger. sad.png

Edited by cbrer

That's why you get the Visa beforehand... not that quick at catching onto things eh.

BTW, the extortion happens to people before they get to the stamp-in desk, that's why you walk through it all with your visa already in your passport.

You walk through ignoring everyone with your headphones plugged in. Hand your passport over with the visa, wham, bam, thank you mam, stamped in.

huh.png

Not a good day for you mate? I'm sensing misdirected anger. sad.png

When i use to do visa runs they did extort 100-300 baht for health certificate at the desk giving you the stamp, an immigration official sat at the window giving out "health forms" and collecting fee

When i use to do visa runs they did extort 100-300 baht for health certificate at the desk giving you the stamp, an immigration official sat at the window giving out "health forms" and collecting fee

Border Crossing and year?

Just as cheap to use a service and leave the driving to someone else.

not as safe, i always drive myself from sattahip, no sevice available there

I personally love hopping on the bike and having a day or two trip out of it. A lot of the time I go from BKK-Mae Sot, some great biking up that way. A night in a nice hotel and steak at Khun Canada restaurant, then a nice ride back the next day. No visa needed just a $10 note. :)

For border runs like that I get a Cambodian E-Visa on the net - $25 and no page in my passport.

Ride my bike to border, which is a nice ride out of the city (BKK). Put in my iPod and walk through the scammers. Walk back through with my stamps 5 minutes later.

Brilliant.

are online visa's allowed at ban packard and Ban laem ?

the op starts a thread to inform others, and gets ripped to bits by the ' we could do it a better way' crowd

• Like 1

Why the need to shatter his illusion and try to make him look stupid.blink.png

You must be new to internet forums.

No I'm not but sometimes the bickering gets to me.

Not enough good experiences come to TV just because of this.

OP will think twice before posting again, and that's a shame.

End of rant tongue.png

Yermanee wai.gif

Only if he's delicate of nature/ego. He's been given some stellar advice on here by yours truly. That's what it should be about. smile.png

You need to check up on your advice before passing it on. E-Visa is not a viable option at the two border crossings near Pong Nam Ron, (i.e. Prum and O’Smach).

Additionally never heard of anyone getting away from at least paying a 100 Baht bribe to Cambodian immigration, at the smaller border crossings, for not staying 24 hours.

Nowadays they usually demand 300 Baht, but it’s negotiable.

Of course at the Aranyapratet/Poipet crossing, it’s possible to do the whole thing for $20, I’ve done that a few times myself.

And that’s even cheaper than your E-Visa option. thumbsup.gif

Don't be daft. It's a business to assist folk. 500bht, 10 English quid. When did you ever have a service for 10 quid. oooooooooop's, your washing. coffee1.gif