2013 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

Thanks Trop, I might give it a go, I'm game for this soft English stuff.If I don't like it, I have a recipient.wink.png

I’m told that it is far superior to that stuff in Oz made out of vegetarians whistling.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Trop, I might give it a go, I'm game for this soft English stuff.If I don't like it, I have a recipient.wink.png

oh darn...w00t.gif

..... too slow on this offer... but Rooo won't appreciate the finer quality....of Marmite.... tongue.png.... really you won't Rooo.... stick to your vegemite biggrin.png

Ok Jimmy, you can have it.

oh darn...w00t.gif

..... too slow on this offer... but Rooo won't appreciate the finer quality....of Marmite.... tongue.png.... really you won't Rooo.... stick to your vegemite biggrin.png

I think we should have a tasting at the next TV party.... just to see the looks on peoples faces.... it can be priceless! sick.gif ...... (ex pat Brits excluded though!) tongue.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Any recommendations for an Italian restaurant that serves vegetarian lasagna?

To my last post , if you search google a number of hotels serve it.. Poppies , best western

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

oh darn...w00t.gif

I think we should have a tasting at the next TV party.... just to see the looks on peoples faces.... it can be priceless! sick.gif ...... (ex pat Brits excluded though!) tongue.png:D

Are there any other nations who eat Marmite etc. other than UK, Aus and NZ?

Aussies eat Vegemite smile.png Wussies eat Marmite.

The Queen is on her way over to have a word

OldladyGunSupressor.jpg

Oooops. You do know that we will have to delete these frivolities soon & clean this topic up.

OldladyGunSupressor.jpg

Oooops. You do know that we will have to delete these frivolities soon & clean this topic up.

We are not amused! biggrin.pngtongue.png

In response to Notmyself's question, don't know, but in my 40 or so years in Canada, I never meet a native born Canuck who would eat Marmite or Vegimite.... both were readily available there... thumbsup.gif

OldladyGunSupressor.jpg

Yerp...get the broom out m8 biggrin.png

Wow! I will be forever indebted to you. Well at least until it runs out. :-)Thank you.

I think mjj has od'd on Marmite.

Impossible!! Now that the Marmite saga is over, when was the last time anyone saw Jaffa Cakes on the island? :-) Got to say I'm loving the Bountys in Tesco.

Rooo, thanks again. ;-)

• Like 1

Just tried " The Grand Father House " opposite Farmers in Maenam. Great surroundings, food good , excellent service & decent reasonable pricing.

Black canyan coffeeshop in Tesco naton is closed/furniture & fittings removed. The nearest place for a drink/lunch is the resteurant on the other side of the road opposite the Govt buildings on the corner around 100m away.

Edited by evadgib

As promised - it's yours Rooo. You could always eat the marmite and put vegimite in the jar!!!!ohmy.png

I am back next week cool.png (12 to 14 C in the UK with a biting wind and rain. Oh joy! I really cannot wait to feel warm again)

• Like 2

Froggies: Opposite Shamrock in Lamai opened last night. Burgers, wraps, paninis, kebabs and some other fast food like dishes. It's a bar which serves food rather than a restaurant which has a bar.

They do a chicken shawarma which you can see on a vertical spit (electric) which I don't think is a good idea given the ambient heat. I'll post a picture I found on the net below but firstly I would say that leaving a large chunk of chicken in the open which is going to be heated then allowed to cool repeatedly is a sure fire way to make people seriously ill. I mean to say that come the end of the evening it needs to be thrown away and not put in the fridge for the following day.

lr+Chicken+Shawarma.jpg

I went for the lamb shawarma which came from the small kitchen behind and have no idea if it was spit roasted though it did taste like it had been at some point. More about that later.

I went for the lamb shawarma but was told by the owner (one of two) that the shawarma is served in a pancake (I don't know what that means) while the lamb doner is served in bread. I know the owner and have done for years, he is an excellent chef and I love his food. However, in this definition of doner and shawarma he is wrong in that both words refer to the method of cooking and not what it is served with or how it is served. They are in fact exactly the same thing.

Shawarma

Shawarma (Arabic: شاورما‎ Urdu: شوارما‎) is a Levantine Arab meat preparation, where lamb, chicken, turkey, beef, veal, or mixed meats are placed on a spit (commonly a vertical spit in restaurants), and may be grilled for as long as a day. Shavings are cut off the block of meat for serving, and the remainder of the block of meat is kept heated on the rotating spit. Although it can be served in shavings on a plate (generally with accompaniments), shawarma also refers to a sandwich or wrap made with shawarma meat. Shawarma is eaten with tabbouleh, fattoush, taboon bread, tomato, and cucumber. Toppings include tahini, hummus, pickled turnips and amba. It is now a fast-food staple worldwide.

Doner

Doner kebab (/ˈdɒnər kəˈbæb/; Turkish: döner kebap, [døˈneɾ̝̊ ceˈbap]) is a Turkish dish made of meat cooked on a vertical spit, normally veal or beef but also a mixture of these with lamb; a cheaper version of chicken is also found. The dish is also widely known by its Arabic name, shawarma, or, as in the United States, by its Greek name gyro.

The sliced meat of a Doner kebab may be served wrapped in a flatbread such as lavash or pita or as a sandwich instead of being served on a plate. It is a common fast food item in the Balkans, Middle East, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. Seasoned meat in the shape of an inverted cone is turned slowly against a vertical rotisserie, then sliced vertically into thin, crisp shavings. Toppings include tomato, onion, lettuce, pickled cucumber and chili.

In practice, what is usually found is that a doner is made from seasoned mince formed into a block which is then spit roasted while a shawarma is made from layers of meat which is also spit roasted.

The Australians, in their infinite wisdom, have muddied the waters even more with their usage of the word souvlaki to describe a large piece of meat spit roasted horizontally when it is in fact small skewers of meat with or without vegetables that have been spit roasted or in effect BBQd.

Anyway. The lamb doner came with lettuce, onion, pickle (?) and tomato with a drizzle of some kind of garlic yoghurt and was very nice indeed. For some reason the bread was of the cake like texture you often see in Thailand rather than the pitta, unleavened type traditionally used. 230 Baht so it was not cheap but it's lamb so it never was going to be cheap. Would I have it again? Yes.

Stand alone burger is 90 Baht I noticed.

Edited by notmyself

• 1 month later...

Would anyone happen to know if the sausage skins on sale at Makro are natural hog casings or collagen casings?

I think they are natural. I have a new box at home that I didn't use , let me check. You can have it if you want.

Would anyone happen to know if the sausage skins on sale at Makro are natural hog casings or collagen casings?

I think they are natural. I have a new box at home that I didn't use , let me check. You can have it if you want.

A box?

Do you have a sausage stuffer for sale?

sausage_stuffer.jpg

A box?

Do you have a sausage stuffer for sale?

sausage_stuffer.jpg

I do have a stuffer, but it is part of the mincer. Not for sale. But might be able to get one on my next trip.

I do have a stuffer, but it is part of the mincer. Not for sale. But might be able to get one on my next trip.

I too have a mincer/stuffer which is fine for the most part except that the filling has to pass through the cutting plate which will destroy any grains or seeds in the mix, such as cooked rice or cumin seeds. The stand alone stuffer pictured above acts like an icing bag or tube of silicon which will overcome this issue. I'm in the UK at present so will purchase one here but thanks for the offer.

I have no desire to manufacture anything other than high end sausages using natural hog casings but they have a limited shelf life even when salted (3 months maximum). Freezing has an adverse effect on cell integrity but this is not an issue when the casings are already used, only before being used. However....

Went to Cassidy's in Bangrak for Sunday lunch today.

Excellent.

200 baht for chicken/beef/pork/mixed lunches. 250 baht for lamb.

Great value. They are doing crumble from next week.

The meal is roast spuds (cooked in the oven - not deep fried), yorkshire pudding (yummie), meat, veggies (3 types), gravy and mint sauce where appropriate.

Best value so far and great quality.

where is Cassidy's please ? Also what time do they serve lunch, and any need to book ?

Thanks

AG

It used to be called the Admiral Lord Nelson in Bangrak (near Shambala). It is on the land side of the main road - opposite where the old Cosmic bar used to be. About halfway between Big Buddha and the Ghost Road.

Other places opposite are Baker's Dozen and Berlin.

We arrived at 1 pm and lunch was in full swing. As long as you do not arrive 'en masse' you should be OK. Sorry - I do not have a number to call for bookings

where is Cassidy's please ? Also what time do they serve lunch, and any need to book ?

Thanks

AG

It used to be called the Admiral Lord Nelson in Bangrak (near Shambala). It is on the land side of the main road - opposite where the old Cosmic bar used to be. About halfway between Big Buddha and the Ghost Road.

Other places opposite are Baker's Dozen and Berlin.

We arrived at 1 pm and lunch was in full swing. As long as you do not arrive 'en masse' you should be OK. Sorry - I do not have a number to call for bookings

They do an excellent 120 baht breakfast too. Pot of tea or coffee, egg, bacon, beans sausage and toast. The bacon and sausages are excellent.

• Like 1