Thai Traffic Again

mackes

OK, I know this is not a new issue and it's been discussed a lot but maybe this is a new angle.

Is there someone out there how can explain or have a theory about the Thai style of traffic?

As I see it it is a very aggressive and egocentric way of driving. Thai people who normally tend

to be nice and helpfully really change attitude when the sit behind the wheel. I drove many many

miles and years in Europe but have never seen anything like this.

If I catch up with a truck in the left lane and flash right to pass him in the right lane I can guarantee

that the car 100 meter behind will speed up as much as possible to not let me out. And this is not

a unique behavior, it's very very common. Or if I am waiting to pass the opposite lane in a right-

or U-turn, people fare away will flash frenetic to have me not to try to get out before they passed.

How come? Where are all the Thai smiles and helpfulness when coming behind the wheel?

Most Thai people are nice and intelligent and many things are better here than in the west

so spare me all the stereotype views of Thai peoples lack of knowledge or intelligence.

Yep so selfish on the road for most, there are some with brains that drive defensively though.

It's got even worse now since the car discount. It sems anyone with red plates wants to hog the outside lane seemingly thinking having a new car makes them more important than everyone else.

Eco cars and pajeros seemingly have taken over from pick ups as the worst on the road.

Don't forget the Merc and BM's who really do think they own the roads.

Even out in the sticks I am seeing more and more red plates, who seem to have never owned a car before.

They are predictably "unpredictable" would be my description of drivers I see.

Cheers.

• Like 2

It's got even worse now since the car discount. It sems anyone with red plates wants to hog the outside lane seemingly thinking having a new car makes them more important than everyone else.

Sounds like you want to use the outside lane yourself. tongue.png

Sounds like you want to use the outside lane yourself. tongue.png

smile.png Yes , but I'm not afraid to use the go pedal and use some petrol for fear of not affording the HP payments.

• 3 weeks later...

there all nobs

theres a one way road near or local market the amount of them that come up the wrong way is unreal back in uk no no

police would be better stopping them and fining them maybe they would think twice .

how many time you pulled on to a dual carriage way and had a thai family come at you the wrong way on a scooter . they then look at you as if your wrong .

ask the missis this all the time she just smiles

So, Mackes, you expect the car coming up in the outside lane, the short distance of 100 metres behind you, to slow down and let you pull out in front of him just because you used your indicator?

Have you considered checking what's coming up behind you, indicating, then pulling out when the road is clear, or do other drivers already executing an overtaking manoevre have to give way to you?

Regarding the other situation you describe, why shouldn't an oncoming motorist give you a visual warning that he's there to avoid your pulling out into his path and possibly creating a dangerous situation

Seems like it's you with the "egocentric" driving manner.

So, Mackes, you expect the car coming up in the outside lane, the short distance of 100 metres behind you, to slow down and let you pull out in front of him just because you used your indicator?

Have you considered checking what's coming up behind you, indicating, then pulling out when the road is clear, or do other drivers already executing an overtaking manoevre have to give way to you?

Regarding the other situation you describe, why shouldn't an oncoming motorist give you a visual warning that he's there to avoid your pulling out into his path and possibly creating a dangerous situation

Seems like it's you with the "egocentric" driving manner.

Seems that we find a Thai driver, glad to hear from you. Maybe I can have an understanding for you manners.

Let me explain the situation a little bit mor in detail in case one with a car in the left lane.

Normally I drive in plus 100 km/h in the left lane, when I catch up with a truck which drive in 70 km/h I approach him with appx 250 met in 30sek.

About 200 met (20 sek) in advance I blink right to pass him in the right lane. I can see a car about 100 met behind me driving in appx 110-120 km/h,

he approach me with appx 100 meter in 30 sek. There is plenty of time for me to go out, pass the truck and go back left before he will catch up with me.

I prepare to accelerate and pass the truck as quickly as possible.

But when the driver behind me see my blinker he suddenly accelerate to 140-150 and blink frenetic with headlight to stop me. It is not uncommon that

even before my signal to go out, he understand my situation and speed up thus force me braking for the truck.

Instead of just lift his right foot slightly and let me pass without inconvenience for any part. Now I have to brake and slow down to 70 km/h behind the

truck and will disturb traffic even more when going out the next time.

This happen almost every time I need to pass someone so the simplest way for me is to go up in speed and stay right as most other people do, but that will

not be my traffic pace and would definitively be more dangerous for everyone. But thats the result of your traffic culture, forcing everyone to exceed his limits.

So I am not talking about cars cruising in 140, I would never even think of trying to get out in front of a car with that speed.

Regarding case number two, I can have an understanding for your point of view. the thing is that in the rest of the world a blink means, please pass before me...

But that seem not to be a part of Thai traffic culture, it seems to always be "me first".

Edited by mackes

But when the driver behind me see my blinker he suddenly accelerate to 140-150 and blink frenetic with headlight to stop me. It is not uncommon that

even before my signal to go out, he understand my situation and speed up thus force me braking for the truck.

Strange, I never have this happening to me.

• Like 1

...it's easy...be "me first" also,drive on the right lane whatever speed you desire 100-110 is fine ..and if anybody wants to pass you,let them do it on your left(the fast ones normally do that w00t.gif )...or,if you want to be "nice guy",go to the left lane yourself,but early enough,so the other driver knows your intentions before he turns to the left line as well and crush into your rear end....smile.png