Russian Man Falls Off Train, Chases It For 7 Km In Extreme Cold

News_Editor

Russian man falls off train, chases it for 7 km in extreme cold < br />

2013-01-20 02:46:23 GMT+7 (ICT)

BLAGOVESHCHENSK, RUSSIA (BNO NEWS) -- Wearing only sweat pants and a t-shirt, a Russian man was forced to run approximately seven kilometers (4.3 miles) at minus 40 degrees Celsius (-40 degrees Fahrenheit) after he fell off a train in Russia's Far East, transport police said on Saturday.

The unidentified 42-year-old man, who lives in the city of Bratsk in Irkutsk Oblast, was traveling on board a night train which connects Moscow to Neryungri in the Sakha Republic. The incident happened in a remote region of Amur Oblast in the East Siberian taiga, where stations are often far apart.

The man told authorities that he left his compartment and went for a smoke in the vestibule of the train carriage, which was the last carriage of the train. But when he finished his cigarette, the man opened the wrong door and stepped into the darkness, causing him to tumble out onto the railway.

Although he was not injured in the fall, the man was surrounded by taiga and was only wearing a t-shirt, sweat pants and slippers. Transport police in the far eastern region said the temperature was about minus 40 degrees Celsius (-40 degrees Fahrenheit) when the incident took place.

A spokesman said the man initially ran after the slow-moving train but failed the catch it, after which the train disappeared into the distance. But he continued running to avoid death by hypothermia and, after covering a distance of approximately seven kilometers (4.3 miles), he reached Richard Sorge station.

Police said the man received medical help after reaching the station, which is usually unmanned but happened to be staffed that night. Exact details about the man's injuries were not immediately released, but his injuries were not believed to be serious and he was not suffering from frostbite.

An investigation is underway to determine why the door of the last train carriage was left unlocked.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2013-01-20

whistling.gif

When I worked in Iceland a few years ago there was a confirmed story of a fisherman who was seen to be washed overboard from a fishing boat by a wave,

He swam 5 Km to the nearest beach where he could haul himself up onto the beach (it was a very rocky area so he had to swim all that way to find a decent beach aea due to the rough surf) and then walked 3 Km to reach a farmhouse.

This was at night and during a snowstorm.

Apart from minor frostbite and exhaustion he was fine.

Even had an interview with him on Icelandic T.V. with him recovering in the nearest hospital.

Tough old boys are those Icelandic fishermen.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

This may be a little bit off topic, but when I tried to board the sleeper train to Bangkok in one of the front carriages where I had a bed booked, the carriage door was locked, the train was ready to move off, after banging the window with my fist and getting no reply, I then smashed in the window which I think may have awakened the attendent, and boarded the train. The attendent looked at me, I pointed at the broken window shrugged my shoulders and went to bed. That was about three years ago, and I have never been on a train since. Only in Thailand.

I have been in -40 weather and if you run, you freeze your lungs....among other things. Maybe it was a little warmer than -40........

Russian lungs are different.

I too have been in - 40C - climbing Mt Denali in Alaska and was sure breathing as heavy as if I had been running. No damage to my lungs.

• Like 1

Reminds me of a story near where I used to reside. In the Sierra Nevada mountains, northern California, in winter, a visiting Vietnamese man got lost while driving at night. Luckily for him, a California woman was driving alone on that same desolate road, and noticed tire tracks going off the embankment. She stopped he truck, trudged down 20 or 30 meters in waist high snow. Found the small man who was only wearing a suit and tie (no jacket in middle of winter). He couldn't move, so she reached inside, grabbed him, hauled him up to her truck and drove him to safety.

People who live their lives in cold climates are pretty hardy folks.. I couldn't do it. I've lived the last 20 years in Arizona.. my blood is as thin as Singha lite beer. It's gets below 70 degrees F. I'm wearing sweatpants, t-shirt, sweatshirt, watch cap and double socks. laugh.png

I have been in -40 weather and if you run, you freeze your lungs....among other things. Maybe it was a little warmer than -40........

Yes but he was Russian ---- not a falang weakling

Russians are considered 'farang'.

• Like 1

People who live their lives in cold climates are pretty hardy folks.. I couldn't do it. I've lived the last 20 years in Arizona.. my blood is as thin as Singha lite beer. It's gets below 70 degrees F. I'm wearing sweatpants, t-shirt, sweatshirt, watch cap and double socks. laugh.png

But, I bet you can survive for days only on cactus juice. :rolleyes:

But, I bet you can survive for days only on cactus juice. rolleyes.gif

He doesn't need to survive on cactus juice in Arizona, unless one of the golf courses every 3 miles only serves that as a drink.

But, I bet you can survive for days only on cactus juice. rolleyes.gif

He doesn't need to survive on cactus juice in Arizona, unless one of the golf courses every 3 miles only serves that as a drink.

Okay, the Gatorade may kill him in a couple of days. :(

A moral lesson to us all upon about risk management

he reached Richard Sorge station.

An investigation is underway to determine why the door of the last train carriage was left unlocked.

Beware ending near Dicks esp if a terminal old bufferrolleyes.gif

Don't set fire to things in your mouth

If you cannot tell the exit from your bedroom you have probably reached your sensible drink quota for the day

Never conduct exertion without a strapping nurse to put you to bedwub.png

Yes but he was Russian ---- not a falang weakling

Hmmmm.....I have worked in Alaska for years, and have spent a lot of time at -30 to -40. I have also been in as cold as -60.

You breathe slowly and carefully through a ruff on the hood of the jacket. Or you frost your lungs....... Cannot believe a man

could run under full exertion at the temp and not severely hurt his lungs. Unless.......that endless consumed vodka somehow

alters the lung tissue and makes it cold proof.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif