Google Sketch Up, 3D Floor-Plan Model

sirineou

I Have seen the question asked " How to design a house"

In This Thread I will show how to download a Floor plan in to Sketch Up,and convert it in to a 3D model. and how to modify the plan to meet your needs.

I downloaded one of the free government house plans, the single story home that many people have shown interest in this forum , and will be using that floor plan

My YouTube videos are limited by size so I will do it in a series of videos

First How to download a floor plan in to Sketch up

and Video #2

I welcome any inputsmile.png Please keep in mind that this is my first time posting instructional videos in YouTube , so I am still working out the bugs, and that I am not an expert in sketch up by any stretch of the imagination. so if I can do it, any one can do it.

Edited by sirineou

Thank you guys

As I said I am new to this also, and as you also see I make plenty of mistakes, So remember you Alt+Back space or under edit the UNDO button is your friend.

post a question about any function in Sketch up and i will do my best to answer as best as I can.

Sketch up is really no that difficult to learn and best of all it is free.

so far, aside from making the videos and posting them in to Youtube, I only have about one hours of work in to this model, and trust me when I say I am neither an expert in Sketch up nor the brightest light bulb in the Christmas treebiggrin.png

Edited by sirineou

Ok I had to wait until the last video for this weekend finished downloading in to You Tube.

I will post the roof video in TV and the is Football and beer timebiggrin.pngPlay off game starts in 0ne Hour (I am in the US now) so off to buy a case of beer, and I am off to my friends house to watch the game. drink some beer, eat some Hot wings Buffalo wings) and have some fun.Then tomorrow is back to work so no more videos until next weekend.

Edited by sirineou

Well what to say, on a scale of 1 to 10 i would give it a 2.

Making a video to teach would require that you understand the subject. Otherwise it is a "look how i am practicing" video.

Anyone who is following your instruction is now handicapped for the future because the first steps were learned wrong.

Sketchup is very forgiving when making very simple 3d, it is why it got that name.

However it will be terribly difficult when you want to make small changes later when you not follow a few rules.

One of those rules is that you need to make components, or groups.

Drawing precise is very easy when you draw a few ruler lines.

A good candidate for components are pillars. You just make one of them and then copy them and place them.

Same with the outer walls and inner walls. You create a free standing wall for each type you need of the exact height and thickness you need and then make it into a component.

You then place copies of that in the right place and scale them on only one axis to the right length. If needed you can rotate it 90 degrees.

If you need to modify a specific wall with unique features first right click it and make it unique.

Doors, windows are also perfect to use as a component.

Practice until you get comfortable with it.

Then make this video series again and it will be something that really teaches.

Making a video to teach would require that you understand the subject. Otherwise it is a "look how i am practicing" video.

Anyone who is following your instruction is now handicapped for the future because the first steps were learned wrong.

Sketchup is very forgiving when making very simple 3d, it is why it got that name.

However it will be terribly difficult when you want to make small changes later when you not follow a few rules.

A good candidate for components are pillars. You just make one of them and then copy them and place them.

Same with the outer walls and inner walls. You create a free standing wall for each type you need of the exact height and thickness you need and then make it into a component.

You then place copies of that in the right place and scale them on only one axis to the right length. If needed you can rotate it 90 degrees.

If you need to modify a specific wall with unique features first right click it and make it unique.

From a scale of 1 to 10 I give your response a ZERO !!

I suggest you practice you response skills and when you are proficient enough come back and post again.

In Post #3 I said and I quote" I welcome any inputsmile.png Please keep in mind that this is my first time posting instructional videos in YouTube , so I am still working out the bugs, and that I am not an expert in sketch up by any stretch of the imagination. so if I can do it, any one can do it."

I am sorry if I disappointed you I am sure my video is not on Par with yours, I am sorry I missed them , I will try searching for them later, can you please provide me with a link to them?

In the mean time I will share what I know .

Please keep in mind that not many of as are as intelligent as you , also please note that in video#2 8:32 in to the video when I was pulling the columns and walls up. I say that I do not have to pull them up individually, and that I could make them in to components, but I don't want to confuse people at this point by explaining components.

By raising This model from the floor plan I was hopping to explain some of the basic commands not by teaching but by doing.and as we got comfortable with the basics bring up components , groupings, and sections later.

But since you seem to be an expert in the subject and seem to be volunteering, I will leave the component section to you.

I look forward to your video explaining Components and I thank you in advance.

I suggest you practice you response skills and when you are proficient enough come back and post again.

In Post #3 I said and I quote" I welcome any inputsmile.png Please keep in mind that this is my first time posting instructional videos in YouTube , so I am still working out the bugs, and that I am not an expert in sketch up by any stretch of the imagination. so if I can do it, any one can do it."

I am sorry if I disappointed you I am sure my video is not on Par with yours, I am sorry I missed them , I will try searching for them later, can you please provide me with a link to them?

Please keep in mind that not many of as are as intelligent as you , also please note that in video#2 8:32 in to the video when I was pulling the columns and walls up. I say that I do not have to pull them up individually, and that I could make them in to components, but I don't want to confuse people at this point by explaining components.

By raising This model from the floor plan I was hopping to explain some of the basic commands not by teaching but by doing.and as we got comfortable with the basics bring up components , groupings, and sections later.

But since you seem to be an expert in the subject and seem to be volunteering, I will leave the component section to you.

Ageed. I appreciate your videos and the time it took to make them. Thanks for that. The above poster is a chump.

i think they're pretty good for a first effort, certainly helpful to people who are new to the program, and the time and effort taken to make them has to be commended, as the OP is only trying to help people.

My only comment is about your first post which states " how to design a house"

the videos are about using sketchup, not design.

did you use this: http://www.nchsoftware.com/voicechanger/index.html for the voice over? maybe ditch the accent and use your original voice.

biggrin.pngtongue.pngthumbsup.gif

i think they're pretty good for a first effort, certainly helpful to people who are new to the program, and the time and effort taken to make them has to be commended, as the OP is only trying to help people.

My only comment is about your first post which states " how to design a house"

the videos are about using sketchup, not design.

did you use this: http://www.nchsoftwa...nger/index.html for the voice over? maybe ditch the accent and use your original voice.

biggrin.pngtongue.pngthumbsup.gif

Thank you for that link, it looks like an interesting program, and it is free, you know I can never pass anything that is free.

Perhaps I can be made to sound like James Earl Jones.

as it is , the software I used to make these videos was also free , and it showsbiggrin.png the Audio quality is pretty bad,

So Far we have looked at How to import a floor plan in to Sketch-Up and how to convert that floor plan in to a 3D model.

Many of as embark in to building a home obtaining plans from the various sources available , these plans provide all the information necessary to build the structure, but is difficult to visualize how that structure will fit in your land . the size of the rooms, the placement of windows and doors as they relate to your furniture, placement of electrical outlets and lighting,. etc.

A 3D model even a simple one, goes a long way towards making the adjustments necessary , at the design stage where it is easy and less expensive to adjust.

At this point let me provide a disclaimer: This is how I know how to do it and it works for me. others who know better rather than criticize my lack of ability would do well to be helpful, and provide input of how it can be done better, such input is solicited,and would be greatly appreciated..

First I need to place the windows in the model, In the floor plan that we imported you can see the placement of the windows, but you cant see their height from the floor, that information is contained in the widows and doors page of the architectural plans. and are .85 m bottom and 2.05 m top making them 1.2 m high for most windows except for the bathroom windows that are 1.45 m bottom and 2.05 top making them .60 m high.

After we add the window openings I will introduce the "section Plane" tool to make working in the rooms more manageable, and we will import furniture from the warehouse, scale them to true size and place them in the rooms to see if the size of the rooms will be adequate for our needs and what kind of adjustments we need to make to improved the floor plan.,

I apologize for the audio quality, i realized that the audio was set too low after I made this video and don't have the time to remake it.sad.png

Ok Now that we have the window openings we can place some furniture in the model to get a sense of the scale.

To do so we will use the "section Tool" to gain easy access to the interior of the model, Import some furniture from the sketch-up warehouse, size it ti scale and rotate

While I was rotating the furniture,my video timed out and I did not have time to explain why it was not it was not rotating properly, The problem was, that I was not zooming in to really see what I was doing, The rotate tool aligns it;s self on the horizontal (blue) the vertical (Green,or Red ) and black when in between these orientations, if I was zoomed in I would had seen that it was not blue but black, and I would had corrected.

Edited by sirineou

So Now that we have the basic model It is time to start dressing it up and have some fun with it.

we introduced the "Follow Me" tool when we made our roof, now we can show how this tool can be used to dress up the model, and simplify things that you would have to do many times over.

Ok so I don't know if I am talking to my self, I see over 200 views but only a couple of comments, and no likes.

I don't need likes, they don't get me beer, and they don't get my laid, but they do give me an indication that some one derives a benefit from what I do.otherwise what is the sense?

so unless I get some feedback , this will be the last video on the series. I suggest if any one finds this useful that they save this thread to their favorites,or subscribe to my YouTube chancel otherwise in a relatively short time it will have moved down to the back pages and joined the dust heap of TV history, where it can only be found by a search, and we all know how well the TV search function works.

So this video is on how to do stairs, many people ave trouble designing stairs because there are a couple of parameters you have to maintain, and adhere to. First the riser (height of the step) cant be more than 8 inches or .2 Meters and the Thread (the part you step on) cant be less than 10 inch or .25 meters, Higher than 8 inch and you will be tripping over the step, less than 10 inch thread and you will not have enough room to step on. So if you were to take your height,, in this case 3 meters plus .1 for the slab= 3.1m , what number goes a equal time in to 3.1 and is not greater than 8 inch??

it works out to be 15 because 3.1/15=.206 M so our riser is .206m. and since our thread is ,25, and we have 15 of them .25x15=3.75m and that's how far from the landing we have to start, to end up on the landing with 15 steps each being.206 meter high and a thread of ,25 meters.

while his tone was nasty he was right, it is very easy to create a quick and dirty model in sketchup, unless you use components, groups and layers, you will end up wasting time when you need to make changes.

while his tone was nasty he was right, it is very easy to create a quick and dirty model in sketch up, unless you use components, groups and layers, you will end up wasting time when you need to make changes.

What I want to do is to show some one who is new to Sketch up how to make an easy Model, Easy because they are new.

once they know how to make an easy model then you can proceed to more complicated items such as components , groups and layers.

So I showed how to easily import a floor plan, then I showed (to the best of my ability) how to turn that floor plan in to a 3d model, I introduced layers ,the section tool, and in the stairs video I introduced groups,

Before we learn the number Twelve (12) it helps to learn the numbers one (1) and Two (2), apparently the clientele of this forum is more advanced in Google sketch up than I thought and is no need for any help from me .

This answers my question

Thank yousmile.png