New Regulations For Vitamin E, Co Q10 And Others

tropo

I got quite a surprise tonight when I went to Watsons to pick up some vitamins. Vitamin E, Co Q10 and some others were no longer on the shelf. There were empty display bottles on the shelves with labels saying that I had to get a doctor's prescription to buy them...and also some tags on the shelves saying the same thing - that I need to consult with an expert.

As it happened, I took the empty bottle up to the drug dispensary and was given a bottle of vitamin E.

Perhaps there's good reasons for the new regulations, but I can't think of any.

Have noted it getting some bad press recently as more longer term studies start to become available. May not be the safe/good answer that was thought. Below are just two of the many warnings from that Mayo web site that might fit us older types.

Use cautiously in patients with cardiovascular conditions. Vitamin E may increase risk of all-cause mortality and incidence of heart failure with doses #8805;400 IU daily for over one year.

Vitamin E should be used cautiously for long periods of time (>10 years) due to a possible increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke.

It is not prescription only, but it is now Category D:

D = Dangerous Drug (ยาอันตราย)

A first grade pharmacist shall be on duty at the premises selling modern drugs, at all times, while the premises are open for operation. Daily purchase and sale record required.

Whereas most vits are I think still category NDD

NDD = Non Dangerous Drug (ยาทั่วไปไม่ได้อยู่ในกลุ่มวัตถุออกฤทธิ์ ยาเสพติด ยาควบคุมพิเศษหรืออันตราย)

A first grade pharmacist, second grade pharmacist, person engaging in the medical profession or person engaging in the modern medical practice in the branches of dentistry, obstetrics or nursing shall be on duty at the premises selling modern non dangerous drug

Should still be able to buy it at any large pharamcy that has "real" pharmacists on duty but may no longer see it on open shelves in the Vit section of shops.