Thai Teacher Makes Me Wait..every Week :(

chonabot

I always just waited a respectable 10 minutes and if the Thai teacher didn't turn the class over to me I just left. I only had to do this a few times and then after that it was never an issue. When I was asked by the school director, I simply told her the teacher saw me and continued to teach and I thought there had been a schedule change and I hadn't been informed as usual.

• Like 1

Ok - update - I mentioned this pain in the ass to the 'class leader' and they must have mentioned it to the teacher.

This week he was ready to leave on time and apologised for his previous tardiness.

I was gobsmacked but happy...go figure :)

• Like 2

Ok - update - I mentioned this pain in the ass to the 'class leader' and they must have mentioned it to the teacher.

This week he was ready to leave on time and apologised for his previous tardiness.

I was gobsmacked but happy...go figure smile.png

Congrats!!! Guess you mean the class leading student?biggrin.png

Edited by sirchai

Well I hope this will be the end of the problem for you with this situation. If it happens again maybe it will be because of test prep but just keep your cool and do as you did before. I think all schools now in Thailnd are feeling the ASEAN impending uncertaincy and realising they are lacking behind after years of feeling safe in their own little bubble. Well done for standing-up for yourself and not making him lose too much face.

• Like 1

I was gobsmacked but happy...go figure smile.png

Congrats!!! Guess you mean the class leading student?biggrin.png

Yes - I am almost embarrassed to have left it to a 15 year old to sort it out :)

• Like 1

I would be happy not to have to teach them the full 50 minutes...

Don't take your job so seriously or you will only cause yourself problems, is my motto.

I enjoy teaching them - is that a bad thing ?

Hi Chonabot. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching my kids and that moment when the penny drops and they get what you're trying to teach is priceless. biggrin.png

However, you must learn to 'play the game' as it were. Do your best but don't fight the system.

Best of luck.

• Like 2

The occasional or even habitual overrun by say 5 minutes might be due to some genuine reason (like bad lesson plan and time management).

But OTOH, I have encountered Thai and Philippino teachers who sometimes are dying for a fight. Just like some drunk bastard in some awful

low boozer might do when he thinks you glanced his way.

There is this passive-aggressive element (thanks Orchidlady, post #9). Sometimes, it seems the life-mission for some colleague to get you removed from the school. Can it be that this is not some undisciplined and eager or zealous teacher, but a guy who is spoiling for some fight? IMHO, most Thai teachers are very relaxed when it comes to a class not learning a particular lesson. (Take an issue about a change of classrooms or some other reason for you not being with your students ten minutes after the class should have begun. It stresses me out - but most don't think it matters).

But when someone is out to get you, be prepared! One such lady once obtained my salary in cash. She had been with the school for over 15 years. The salaries were transferred to the bank accounts we had to open at the school's bank. And I had the usual pay slip. Well, it took a few days with me pulling numbers and queuing to figure out that the salary was not transferred. When I asked, the Finance Dept. said "we gave it to Miss C.". You couldn't make this up.

Chonabot, what was the result of you trying to resolve this issue?

Chonabot, I just read it's over - good for you!

P would like to share what happened when I needed to print something for the job.

The pc was used by a Thai colleague to play some game a P2 student might play.

I was hanging around in her vision, clutching papers and glancing at my watch.

Finally, I asked the boss (Head of English, we were all in one big room).

Whenever we would pass each other, that fat lady would make these insulting sounds

Thais use when they think someone is acting absurdly or bizarre. Letting their voice rise and fall...

• Like 1

Yeah, I feel ya. I once had a coworker that used to come in early and tell me to take off early. It really pissed me off, I mean who in the hell did that guy think he was? Trying to take my work off my hands and all. Idiots. Anybody who takes this thread seriously I have a fence for you to whitewash.

Edited by utalkin2me

Some teaches have a curriculum that has to be completed and they may have more than 1 class (I once had 7 levels of the same class), when one was behind it was a problem because they all had to take the same exam. I didn't mind somebody taking some time from one of my classes, but I was pretty upset that nobody would take any time from the other 6.