Thai Teacher Makes Me Wait..every Week :(

chonabot

Since the second semester I have had an issue with a Thai teacher.

Apparently he doesn't like non-Thai teachers and makes this plain to everyone.

I teach a M3 class on Wednesday, period 4 - 11:00 - 11:50, he teaches the same class in period 3.

Each week he teaches into my lesson time - by 15 minutes, this has happened for the last 4 weeks.

At first he was quite apologetic and muttered something about the students not finishing on time, with a nice smile.

Last week there was nothing, just a cold stare and he marched off down the corridor.

I'm no shrinking violet, but this being Thailand I thought...Sabai Sabai and all of that :)

To be honest I think he is mocking me, I heard one of the students telling him that I was outside last week, but he still taught on.

I'm due to teach them this week and will be doing something about it, but I'm not sure what.

He is a big guy - teaches them P.E and health education, but a confrontation doesn't bother me, I just want to finish the year without any incidents.

Here are my options : -

1. At 11:00 march into the room and point at my watch whilst smiling - expecting him to leave.

2. Ask my department head to have a word with him.

3. Do nothing.

4. Any other ideas?

Before anyone tells me to man up and do whatever I want, I usually do, but thought it would be nice to discuss it here first. wai2.gif

I assume you have mentioned it to him specifically in a polite way and he has chosen to ignore you.

If it bothers you, take it to your dept. head and leave it at that. There could be all sorts of political undercurrents you are unaware of.

I am sure it is annoying, it appears to be a slap in the face and is most certainly bad manners, but is it such a massive deal in the big scheme of things?

Edited by Briggsy

I assume you have mentioned it to him specifically in a polite way and he has chosen to ignore you.

If it bothers you, take it to your dept. head and leave it at that. There could be all sorts of political undercurrents you are unaware of.

I am sure it is annoying, it appears to be a slap in the face and is most certainly bad manners, but is it such a massive deal in the big scheme of things?

I think it's a big deal if I can't teach my correct lesson plan to this class, through no fault of my own.

I suppose I could do a 35 minute plan and hope they do 'ok' in the Finals?

OK, so you consider it serious enough for it to be taken to your dept. head. That would be your next step after ensuring the P E teacher knows you want him to finish on time.

For 'finals' in Thailand, I can guarantee that copying and other forms of grade inflation are rampant and endemic so the students will do fine. If you are really lucky, the teacher in charge of printing the exam paper will pass a copy to some of the students in the class so then they will do particularly well.

Of course you are correct here, sad but true :)

I will probably have a polite chat this Wednesday and expect the usual vacant grinning reply.

Just walk in when your lesson starts and wait until he pisses of. He'll never bother you again, as he doesn't want to loose face.

I've met so many ignorant people, but usually let it go, if it happens occasionally.

But this seems to be a sort of power play.Give it a try, never forget to smile and he'll get it.

Some people need a little longer to understand. Good luck from lower north-east.--biggrin.png

• Like 2

I haven't been in many Thai schools while they were in session, but it sounds like they don't have a bell that dismisses all the classes at the scheduled time. In which case, how does a school keep all of their classes' start and end times from running over each other? Sounds like chaos.

Why don't you keep them for the extra 20 minutes that the other teacher cost you? If some teacher after you gets mad about that, introduce him to the first teacher who started the problem.

Edited by attrayant

During exam time, I lost it and marched into the Thai teacher's class and explained it with the extreme pressure to do verbal tests on some 50 students for each and every class that week. Alone.

It's bloody rude and you have your own curriculum to follow... No way Jose!

He's baiting you, of course - like some do. (An ass**** director embezzled my December salary. So I used HNY greetings to pass on my bank details. Then I made a Thai speaker call him. He claimed he would have to speak to "HR". Ten days later, nothing, nada). There is indeed a passive-aggressive way by some Thais... Some deserve a thorough beating IMHO. Not that I'm advocate violence. But that smirk should get wiped off some faces.

• Like 1

I'd say just keep your cool.

Sometimes teachers go over time, sometimes by a lot (10-15 minutes over time is something I'm regularly guilty of if my students haven't finished their work)

If it keeps happening, then yeah maybe say something to him, but do it very politely. As it's unlikely that he's going over time deliberately, his class is probably just slow or maybe they even arrive late, or perhaps he has a class earlier in the day which is always late, thus making him go over time with them, which in turn forces him to go over time with all of his classes.

It's his problem to fix, however, you want to be polite about resolving the issue, as our working relationships with other staff are really important, and can potentially be the bane of your existence if poorly managed.

• Like 1

Good luck. I had this problem at the uni where I'm teaching. I followed a Thai teacher who ran over into my time by 15-20 mins. I had complaints from students after three weeks of this (class met 2x week)as attendance is a uni requirement for grades-lates and absences. After three weeks, I went in when class should have officially ended--most teachers finish class 5 minutes early because classes are back to back and some students have to go across campus for their next class. I asked politely if he could finish the class on the hour--still giving him the "5 minute grace". Apparently he felt he lost face as he got very angry. He started finishing his classes at the time requested but since then has done several passive aggressive things.

He shuts off the AC, computer & overhead visualizer, leaves all his water cups and food trash on the desk, messes with the sound system(all controls are in Thai),hides the erasers and pens to write on the board, and has changed default on the computer and several key programs to Thai language and even unplugged some of the cords (like sound ). The normal PC input slots are not used on our computers. IT has installed a bundle of cords into various intermediary devices so it's not that simple to put them back in the correct component. None of this occurred before I spoke to him. All of these delay my starting and make me look like idiot having to look for these things. I have started carrying my own pens/erasers. I have taken a photo of the correct cord placement. I finally sent an email to him and to the dept head asking if these things could be left as is when he leaves the classroom. Whenever he sees me now, I just get a dirty look.

How bloody childish :(

I'm anticipating a similar response, but I hope I can react as professionally as you have :)

• Like 1

I haven't been in many Thai schools while they were in session, but it sounds like they don't have a bell that dismisses all the classes at the scheduled time. In which case, how does a school keep all of their classes' start and end times from running over each other? Sounds like chaos.

Why don't you keep them for the extra 20 minutes that the other teacher cost you? If some teacher after you gets mad about that, introduce him to the first teacher who started the problem.

Yes a school with over 5000 students, with at least 50 in a class could be classified as chaos :)

Thanks for the advice though :)

I'd say just keep your cool.

Sometimes teachers go over time, sometimes by a lot (10-15 minutes over time is something I'm regularly guilty of if my students haven't finished their work)

If it keeps happening, then yeah maybe say something to him, but do it very politely. As it's unlikely that he's going over time deliberately, his class is probably just slow or maybe they even arrive late, or perhaps he has a class earlier in the day which is always late, thus making him go over time with them, which in turn forces him to go over time with all of his classes.

It's his problem to fix, however, you want to be polite about resolving the issue, as our working relationships with other staff are really important, and can potentially be the bane of your existence if poorly managed.

Good advice, I am aware that my next step could affect the rest of my time here, and even my reference from this place in future.

Yes, I have had similar experiences....

I don't mind the occasional "late" finish of a class, as there may be a reason that I'm not aware of. However, repeated lateness is a pain and not something I can accept. Neither is it a polite way for any teacher to work.

For the repeat offender(s), my reaction is to stand inside the classroom door after a nominal, say - 5 minutes, and rustle papers, cough, even smile and wave to students and such - and of course smile when the teacher finally passes me on the way out. After doing this very few times there's no longer a problem - and the class is finished - or nearly so - every time I arrive.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

• Like 2

I also work in a government high school of 4,000 students.

When I first started, I had students arriving late to my class,

I thought they were being tardy on purpose.

Then I would later on learn that sometimes their previous class has gone

into overtime. Then I thought, why can't the teacher keep better time

management.

Now, sometimes I will go past my time allotment without realizing it.

I feel bad because when I leave the class, there is a another Thai

teacher sitting outside the classroom with her class waiting for the room.

I will apologize for being late, but they just laugh and smile. I sometimes

think they are happy with a shorter teaching time.

To return to the OP problem.

If I want to stay at the school, then I would work at trying to reach a compromise

to resolving this issue.

If I was planning on leaving the school then I would make life

uncomfortable for the teacher.

Edited by mike123ca
  • Like 1

Option 1. seems pretty good to me.

And maybe compound it a little by taking a seat in the class,and listen in on his Teaching style,he will not like that,and my guess is: the lesson could end pretty promptly.

Edited by MAJIC

That would be logic,and that's why it will not work!

• Like 1

Depending on your'e relationship with the head, or his, I would opt for no2. and it is also true about all sorts of political undercurrents.

And maybe compound it a little by taking a seat in the class,and listen in on his Teaching style,he will not like that,and my guess is: the lesson could end pretty promptly.

If you take a seat in his class, you will cause all sorts of problems, besides, you would have to ask him first, also, you would have to explain to the children why you are there, because they will all be asking you, both at the time and when you take the class.

I've had issue with Thai male 'managers' in the past. They always seem to have a giant chip on their shoulder (probably a penis thing) and many have openly stated that they hate farangs. Mindless and infantile I know. I have also found them to be less than clever and very quick to fire up if they are challeged, which usually gets them into trouble as they seem happy to lose their job as long as they don't lose face. My recommendation? Wind the guy up until he does something stupid.

• Like 1

If you take a seat in his class, you will cause all sorts of problems, besides, you would have to ask him first, also, you would have to explain to the children why you are there, because they will all be asking you, both at the time and when you take the class.

I have heard Farang Teachers who say Thai teachers sit in on their lessons uninvited.

I have heard Farang Teachers who say Thai teachers sit in on their lessons uninvited.

Yes Majic, that is very true, I sometimes had teachers sitting in my class, but only when I was teaching grades 5 and 6. But they never interfered in any lesson, or told me what to teach, and they were hardly ever there for the full period. I always had full control of everything including punishments. When I taught in High School M3 and M4, there were never ever any teachers sitting in the class.

Yes Majic, that is very true, I sometimes had teachers sitting in my class, but only when I was teaching grades 5 and 6. But they never interfered in any lesson, or told me what to teach, and they were hardly ever there for the full period. I always had full control of everything including punishments. When I taught in High School M3 and M4, there were never ever any teachers sitting in the class.

Well of course you would know the intricate details more that me!