Burmese Refugees Sold On By Thai Officials

webfact

I think in a regular country the purpose of the military is to protect borders from invaders. And the military is generally under

the control of the civilian government. But people here seem to be implying that the military is above the government, and will

not be punished for their mind boggling actions regarding this trafficking. Wait, does that make Thailand the same

as Burma, run by a military junta, but with fake " democratic "elections to keep foreign investments rolling into Thailand ??

Seems to me there are at least 4 outfits running things here, all are indepenant of the others,

ARMY POLICE big BUSINESS GOVERNMENT ......now who wants to put them in the correct order of power,, sure to be some different opinions. ????

I think you forgot the mafia....Oh wait that was covered by your police option. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Well, given a choice, I am going to have to pick the army, since they can roll tanks and scramble fighters ( at least I think they can.....) Will be interesting to see what kind of punishment is meted out, and how far up the ladder it goes. I am going to make a wild guess here, and say a few low ranking sergeants will be assigned to inactive posts, and this whole issue will fade away. An always popular Thai defense is the famous " rogue elements". That seemed to work when the Thai army shot and killed those Chinese sailors on the Mekong River a while ago.

If the government was able to survive the bad publicity resulting from large number of refugees being towed out to sea and left to die, I am sure they can survive this as well.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right GK - PTP are as pure as the driven snow! Never a corrupt thought. Are you still driven to tears by the PM's compassionate humanitarian treatment of these poor souls?

Get a grip - if you're the government you are in control. The buck stops there. Let's see how vigorous and effective the government investigations are.

I addressed your criticism in the post above.

The reality is that the civilian government in Thailand has little say/control/influence over the military.

The military cheerleaders may finally begin to see what happens when there is an armed group holding power and that does not accept the concept of an elected civilian government.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

.....people here seem to be implying that the military is above the government, and will

not be punished for their mind boggling actions regarding this trafficking. Wait, does that make Thailand the same

as Burma, run by a military junta, but with fake " democratic "elections to keep foreign investments rolling into Thailand ??

Chaiyo! But Thailand does splitting the spoils of illegal activities between the military and the police. So there is some sharing. But as long as all those spoils find the correct path of righteousness, into the international banking system and out of Thailand, then all is forgiven.

But don't worry. Burma is slowly moving towards a similar "democracy" and there will be increased "investment" by the multinationals in Burma to take advantage of the cheaper labor and the human trafficking will be reduced over the next decade.

That's right GK - PTP are as pure as the driven snow! Never a corrupt thought. Are you still driven to tears by the PM's compassionate humanitarian treatment of these poor souls?

Get a grip - if you're the government you are in control. The buck stops there. Let's see how vigorous and effective the government investigations are.

The reality is that the civilian government in Thailand has little say/control/influence over the military.

The military cheerleaders may finally begin to see what happens when there is an armed group holding power and that does not accept the concept of an elected civilian government.

The reality, as several other posters have pointed out, is that there are several factions, all vying for control of the spoils, looking out for themselves and trying to grab more power for the future. It's like reading about the medieval European kings and their plots, or the American Mafia. Greed, treachery, corruption. I see nothing to indicate there is any drive or desire to change. Same same. Sad - and worrying.

• Like 1

You single out the military as a renegade group. What of the Royal Thai Police? The way I read the OP they are implicated in this as well.

Do you think this elected govt has control over this group?

UPDATE

HUMAN SMUGGLING

Army officers accused of trafficking Rohingyas

THE NATION

30198480-01_big.jpg

Probe into 3 Isoc officials based at Chumphon and their commander

BANGKOK: -- The Army is investigating at least three military officers accused of trafficking Rohingya refugees into the Kingdom.

The news came as a fresh group of 179 boat people landed in southern Phang Nga province yesterday, with more boats headed this way.

The three military officers were assigned to work for the Internal Security Operation Command (Isoc) Ranong Attachment, according to Fourth Army Area chief Lt-General Udomchai Thammasarorach. They have been stationed in Chumphon province.

"Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat has instructed me to order the investigation and we have already set up a committee to look into the case," Udomchai told The Nation yesterday.

Udomchai had a closed-door meeting to discuss the matter with Sukampol, who was in Pattani on an inspection of the far South.

The minister appeared angry to learn about the alleged involvement of military officers in the trafficking of Rohingya, a source close to the meeting said.

The accused officers hold the rank of major, colonel and lieutenant, the source said, noting that their commander - a colonel who heads their unit in Chumphon - is also being investigated.

"The military officers in question have said that they used military vehicles to transport the Rohingya for humanitarian assistance, not because they were involved in human trafficking," Udomchai said.

The allegation against the Army officers arose after more than 850 Rohingya were found in the far South earlier this month. Many of them complained of inhumane treatment in their homeland, Myanmar, because the government does not accept them as citizens.

Meanwhile, the latest group of 179 Rohingya refugees arrived in Phang Nga province after maritime police found them floating in a vessel offshore, according to Kura Buri deputy district police chief Laksanawong Rampansuwan.

People on the boat said it took them 16 days to journey from Rakhine state to Thai waters, he said, adding that more Rohingya were on the way and expected to land soon.

On Monday, Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said any soldiers found to be involved in human trafficking would be expelled and prosecuted.

An investigation by the BBC, revealed on their website, alleges Thai officials have been selling boat people from Myanmar to human traffickers.

BBC news reports allege Thai Navy personnel are also part of the trafficking ring. A source close to Rohingya residing in Thailand said they learnt of Navy officers benefiting from the scam, through cooperation with Myanmar nationals and Rohingya agents.

The Phuketwan website, which won awards for helping to reveal the "pushback" of Rohingya boats four years ago, has similar claims.

Yesterday, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) officials visited ethnic Rohingya detained in Thailand to determine their need to move to a third country. At the time of their arrest, many Rohingya said they wanted a new, safe place to live.

Manasvi Srisodapol, who heads Thailand's Department of Information, said help would be needed from the international community, and third countries, to solve the problems of the Rohingya in the short and long term.

"We have already talked to the Myanmar authorities and the UNHCR about assistance," he said.

Security agencies in Thailand are concerned about the growing number of Rohingya arriving by boat on the Andaman coast other illegal migrants in Thailand.

"We are not ready to host more shelters for the Rohingya here in Ranong," Colonel Narin Phannarai said. He is a deputy chief of a unit overseeing internal security there.

Officials say national security will be jeopardised if the number of illegal aliens grows too big.

In a related development, Thais have donated food and clothing to the Rohingya now detained in Thailand. Songkhla Provincial Islamic Committee has opened a bank account (Islamic Bank of Thailand No. 934 1 48557 6,) to accept donations for the Rohingya. Bt2 million has already been donated.

Despite Thai authorities' pledge to treat the Rohingya well on humanitarian grounds, Ranong residents showed dismay over the influx of immigrants and vowed to oppose the setting up of a refugee camp in the southern coastal province, their leader said last Sunday.

Sucheep Patthong said his group would launch protests if there were reports indicating the government intended to open a Rohingya refugee camp in Ranong. Sucheep said he had sympathy for the Rohingya people but if they were allowed to live in a refugee camp in Ranong, it would have a negative impact on the local people.

"Ranong is already suffering enough from some 100,000 immigrant workers living in the province. This has led to social, security and public health problems," Sucheep added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-23

Thailand would most likely receive more assistance if it became a signatory to the various UN conventions for Refugees & Stateless people. Bit slack to demand support from the international agencies, when Thailand has yet to commit to these global conventions. As Malaysia, Bangladesh nor Indonesia have signed don't hold your breath for any co-operation.

I could be wrong, but I believe the only country in the region to have signed is the Philippines.

You single out the military as a renegade group. What of the Royal Thai Police? The way I read the OP they are implicated in this as well.

Only if it provides sufficient financial incentive. A government does have some measure of the criminal organization commonly called the police. However, I think the police have too much dirt on all of the political parties such that its position is not at risk.

I call it the Edgar Hoover approach to controling the government officials.

Only if it provides sufficient financial incentive. A government does have some measure of the criminal organization commonly called the police. However, I think the police have too much dirt on all of the political parties such that its position is not at risk.

Hahaha , exactly right, Hoover was the acknowledged master of holding dirt. This concept is probably why Chuwit is still alive as well.... Hard to tell from the bad reporting on this issue, but it looks like the army was the mastermind, and the police were simply acting as bag men. Since the agency involved is the Internal Security Operation Command (Isoc) , which is tasked with controlling the rebel issues in the south, it is no wonder things are not going well down there.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

" Hey Captain Sombat, what should we do about that car bombing the other day??? No no no. don't worry about that , we have some refugees to sell ! Get those police vans loaded up ....."

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Very sad, but very accurate. It would be nice, at the very least, if top govt officials would stop talking out of both sides of their face, and quit pretending their goal is to stop corruption and to be the champions of the poor and disadvantaged.

I think that the Swiss girl who is in custody in Rayon for overstay and allegedly stealing a camera should thank her lucky stars that she wasn't put on the same Malaysian bound boat!

Is it me or have things got worse or are they just being brought to light more?

There will be a few inactive posts filled on the strength of this?

Corruption and graft is so endemic, regardless of the Gov. promises etc to rid Thailand of it's international image nothing will change, there is no short term answer.

Thailand the hub of 'All blow and no show'

I think that the Swiss girl who is in custody in Rayon for overstay and allegedly stealing a camera should thank her lucky stars that she wasn't put on the same Malaysian bound boat!

Is it me or have things got worse or are they just being brought to light more?

There will be a few inactive posts filled on the strength of this?

Corruption and graft is so endemic, regardless of the Gov. promises etc to rid Thailand of it's international image nothing will change, there is no short term answer.

Thailand the hub of 'All blow and no show'

dam_n you beat me to the punch on that one !!!!!! clap2.gif Better to languish in a Thai prison than to be sold to slavers and shipped to god knows where.......Hopefully the police will not get their prisoners mixed up when they start shipping out.