I Did A Dumb Thing

Unless you have something constructive to add please don't reply to this thread.

I arrived in Vientiane for my first visa run this morning after an 14 hour bus ride with no sleep. The driver took us to these guys sat at tables opposite the Thai Embassy and one of them filled in the form glued the photos and photocopied my Laos Visa for 100 Baht (yes I know it's expensive but at that point I could barely sign my own name)

Anyway, he said for an extra charge I could get the Visa without having to stand in line, just come back tomorrow and pick it up from him. I was exhausted and the thought of standing in line for 1 or 2 hours wasn't appealing so I took him up on his offer. I gave him my passport and the money.

So basically I've just given my passport to a complete stranger. Has anyone else done this and how did it work out?

• Like 1

Done this in Penang several times in the past.

No, problems.

In Penang you just go to an agent on Chulia street and the will fix everything.

The service charge is actually cheaper than going to the consulate by taxi yourself.

• Like 2

rolleyes.gif Well, I once gave my passport, and my return ticket to a woman to get my arrival entry stamp instead of waiting in a VERY LONG queue at the arrival immigration area in the airport in Bangkok.

She then walked away with my ticket and my passport.

However, she had an immigration officer's uniform on .... and 5 minutes later she brought my ticket and my passport back to me with an entry stamp for a 30 day entry on arrival.

Actually, no gaurentee, but you'll probably get your passport back ... those guys do it for a living, and they woukd rather have more paying customers later than only one passport now.

Probably.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Ok, I feel a little better now.

Relax you did not do a stupid thing. I go to Vientiane every two months, whether I have to or just to get out of Thailand. Thousands of people use the services of the agents beside the embassy. They are not going anywhere with your passport. I should mention that they cannot get you same say service which they advertise. You will be fine, get the fellows name and phone number if you are happy and use him again, or for any other associated Thai/Lao business.

i did it yesterday in Laos as well.. Was promised back passport back the following day at 2pm, got it 1420, left for the airport at 1600. no problems.

Instead of worry now (you cant undo it anyway) take a walk to the temple in the city (sakikat or something) its only 5000 kip entrance, and its very nice place to just sit and relax, i can recommend it.

Ok, I feel a little better now.

Relax you did not do a stupid thing. I go to Vientiane every two months, whether I have to or just to get out of Thailand. Thousands of people use the services of the agents beside the embassy. They are not going anywhere with your passport. I should mention that they cannot get you same say service which they advertise. You will be fine, get the fellows name and phone number if you are happy and use him again, or for any other associated Thai/Lao business.

What sort of a place is it as an alternative visa run destination, i am looking for more. Thanks!

You will be fine. Even the hotels in Vientienne offer this service. Last time I went there my hotel receptionist offered it to me but I declined as I had just come from the consulate. The guys standing next to the embassy do this day in and day out and i've seen lots of people use them.

Edited by mcnad

What sort of a place is it as an alternative visa run destination, i am looking for more. Thanks!

Since Vientiane (Savannakhet Laos also) issues 2 entry tourist visa it is the best choice of any nearby consulate.

For multiple entry non immigrant visas it is not good at all since they don't issue them.

Fourteen hours is about the norm from Bangkok to Nong Kai.

Do it yourself by train in a 2nd class sleeper is the best low cost option IMO.

Flying to Udon Thani and then mini bus to bridge is fastest option.

Edited by ubonjoe