Piano Tuner Required - Pattaya Area

Mobi

I'm looking for a locally based piano tuner, and was pondering if anyone knew of one based in the Pattaya area.

I know I can get one down from Bangkok, but would rather avoid that, if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mobi

Not sure if you've had any luck here, if not, you might call Mike over at the Yellow Music Guitar Hospital. He's quite the musician and very knowledgeable with regards to instrument repair. He's a fantastic guy.

081-782-1402 Open after 12:00.

I'm not sure that "Piano tuner" is a profession that exists in Thailand, unless there happens to be an ex-pat here with that skill. You can find some useful tutorial videos on YouTube about piano tuning, and there are also software packages available for the purpose. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an iPhone App for it.

A friend some time back had a baby grand that needed tuning, on my advice he contacted Yamaha shop on Sukhumvit, they had no one thre that could do it but got someone down from Bangkok to do it.

I don't think MIke will be of any help he is a guitar luthier but you never know.

Failing that as Spalpeen says do it yourself, chromatic electronic tuners are not expensive and all you need is the tuning knob key.

I am sure you have some musical friends who can assist biggrin.png

I'm not sure that "Piano tuner" is a profession that exists in Thailand, unless there happens to be an ex-pat here with that skill. You can find some useful tutorial videos on YouTube about piano tuning, and there are also software packages available for the purpose. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an iPhone App for it.

They exist all-right and they're as good as anywhere in the world. Anyway, The city of Bangkok has thousands of pianos which are used in orchestras and in many up market hotels, and there's a huge middle class who send their kids to piano lessons and have them play the piano in their homes. There's at least 3 dedicated piano showrooms that I know of in the city.

The trouble is, as far as I know they are all based in Bangkok and work for companies such as Peterson piano. There used to be a tuner who periodically came to Pattaya and tuned all the pianos in town when he was here, but I just wondered if anyone knew of a local tuner as the Bangkok guy wasn't cheap. Maybe there's a retired farang here who used to be a tuner.

Tuning is a special skill and you have to have a perfect ear in order to do it properly and it takes many hours of painstaking work.

Incidentally, there is also an incredible piano museum in Bangkok which has some very old and rare pianos - some of which were dug up out of lakes at the end of the second world war and lovingly restored.

My own upright Yamaha is a bit of an antique, being close to 90 years old with a cast iron frame. It weighs a bloody ton but has a beautiful sound. After being stored in extremely hot humid conditions for the past 4 years, it is still only slightly out of tune, and still playable. They don't make them like that any more.

A friend some time back had a baby grand that needed tuning, on my advice he contacted Yamaha shop on Sukhumvit, they had no one thre that could do it but got someone down from Bangkok to do it.

I don't think MIke will be of any help he is a guitar luthier but you never know.

Failing that as Spalpeen says do it yourself, chromatic electronic tuners are not expensive and all you need is the tuning knob key.

I am sure you have some musical friends who can assist biggrin.png

Yes, that's a good idea.

We could also pick up some part time workers from BC to hold the G stringsbiggrin.png

• 7 months later...

I tune (and voice) my Steinway grand. Never tried an upright. Been tuning mine for 20 years. You can hear it here. I tuned it for this performance:

I'm planning to invite my old tuner from Hongkong to visit me in Pattaya for regulation and repairs. He tunes for concert halls in Hongkong. Wouldn't be cheap though.

Contact me if I can help.

Edited by goatfarmer

I tune (and voice) my Steinway grand. Never tried an upright. Been tuning mine for 20 years. You can hear it here. I tuned it for this performance:

I'm planning to invite my old tuner from Hongkong to visit me in Pattaya for regulation and repairs. He tunes for concert halls in Hongkong. Wouldn't be cheap though.

Contact me if I can help.

I'm not sure I could afford your HK friend's fees - if I could, I would have arranged a tuner from Bangkok to come down and tune it.

However, I am very willing for you to have a look at it and see what you can do. There is no rush as it still doesn't sound too bad. I live at Mabprachan Lake so if you are serious I will PM you to try and make arrangements.

Thanks

Mobi

• 5 months later...

Hi Mobi,

Just in case you need again a Piano tuner, you can call me in (0814501952). I am a Piano Tuner by family trade, tho I am a musician too. I used to work there in one of the hotels there in Beach Road, but I went home to the Philippines for my father died and I have to attend to the transition of our piano shop.

A piano needs to be tuned at least twice a year, so I thnik you need a piano tuner soon if not already.

Thanks.

tiri

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, I'm new here but I just want to share that I actually found and seen a piano tuner. I watched him tune a Kawai Piano of my friend there in Pattaya for practically two hours. He was authentic a real piano tuner, not a tuner using the "digital tuning apps. He explained to us the dangers of hiring tuner using apps. He said that tho' the tuners are fast and cheap, there is a big chance that instead of fixing the piano , they really are making more damage to your piano. The point is, tuners using digital tuning apps are mostly novice and have no right experience. Yes they can buy the tools but really dont know how to handle it right. I am used to seeing good tuners and he is one of them.

But this guy dont just accept tuning jobs without recommendation from a friend or from former clients. He is from Bangkok , speaks English (not local) and not really cheap. But his work is convincing. He did my old Bosendorfer alive again. I did "pamper" him a lot to do my piano that was so awfully done by locals for years.

Maybe if you need a tuner badly then contact me <deleted>, so that I can recommend you or maybe contact my friend there in Pattaya ( Shirley Xu {facebook account}) how to contact him.

Regards to everybody.

Edited by Rimmer
phone number removed as per forum rules, please use PM function thank you