General Bike Maintenance.

karlos

Fuel (gasoline) in Issan.

I have on old Suzuki step 125cc had the engine re coned in Phuket a year ago and it has been running strong until recently. I have been in Issan for a few months and the engine has been pinging (pre Ignition) I believe this is from poor quality fuel also the way the engine is behaving now suggests the valves may have burned, it's now become hard to start, idles rough then cuts out.

Is there any fuel outlets that have quality gasoline as I suspect some maybe cutting with other substances? I have been buying gas from any where, major outlets and corner shops.

Also as I am having reliability issues with my current scoot, I'm considering a new one how ever I have concerns that the gas quality may shorten the engine life of a new bike.

Anyone with similar problems?

• 2 weeks later...

Would,nt a center stand be cheaper? im sure the fitting lugs must be there, also very handy for roadside problems,punctures ect,and front wheel removal with a weight on the pillion,

No fitted lugs or anything on the ZRX. They used to. My Z1, Z1000, GTR1000 and the XS 750/850 all had centre stands. Most bikes did up until the 90's. Then they topped. Not on sports bikes at first. But then more and more bikes didn't have them. I would not suggest my ZRX is a sports bike. Modelled on a Z1000 from the 80's. But no centre stand. it is a pain.

I can go to my mates garage who has proper bike ramps. But I tend to get by with Paddock stands, trolley jacks, axle stands and bits of wood.

Fuel (gasoline) in Issan.

I have on old Suzuki step 125cc had the engine re coned in Phuket a year ago and it has been running strong until recently. I have been in Issan for a few months and the engine has been pinging (pre Ignition) I believe this is from poor quality fuel also the way the engine is behaving now suggests the valves may have burned, it's now become hard to start, idles rough then cuts out.

Is there any fuel outlets that have quality gasoline as I suspect some maybe cutting with other substances? I have been buying gas from any where, major outlets and corner shops.

Also as I am having reliability issues with my current scoot, I'm considering a new one how ever I have concerns that the gas quality may shorten the engine life of a new bike.

Anyone with similar problems?

Why don't you get it rebuilt using ping resistant valves.

The high compression engine on the Step is notorious for pinging.

Maybe throw in a big bore kit and some new forks.

That would be really cool.

Also how to make proper cider

Is the cider for before or after the maintenance ? Video not clear on this vital point !

Different team for the Cider making. Motorcycles and Cider generally don't tend to mix well, unless we are using the cider for paint stripping

Also how to make proper cider

Is the cider for before or after the maintenance ? Video not clear on this vital point !

Different team for the Cider making. Motorcycles and Cider generally don't tend to mix well, unless we are using the cider for paint stripping

I did not know cider was an effective paint stripper.

Good to know.

Before I used acetone and zylene.

Both dangerous.

Cider in the future for me.

Thanks so much for sharing this valuable tip.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently bought a Honda Phantom and did not realise til after buying that it must be the only motor-bike in the world that did not come with a centre stand. Now I love the bike but for a number of maintenance tasks a centre stand is a must so is there any simple way I can SAFELY stand the bike with either the front or back wheel off the ground.I expect to make something to "hang up in the garage".Lets face it many one man corner repairers must have had to do something------ Thanks in anticipation--Dougal

My ZRX1100 does not have a center stand. If I need to remove the back wheel I often do it by using a trolly jack on one side and a bit of wood under the side stand on the other.

This may sound dodgy but done properly can be a safe and cheap way to sort it.

Otherwise buy a paddock stand.

My ZRX1100 does not have a center stand. If I need to remove the back wheel I often do it by using a trolly jack on one side and a bit of wood under the side stand on the other.

This may sound dodgy but done properly can be a safe and cheap way to sort it.

Otherwise buy a paddock stand.

Excuse my ignorance Carol,but what is a Paddock stand,and can it lift either front or back as required

Morning,

Does anyone know where I can buy a chain breaker and rivet press. All in one jobbie. I need it for touring and emergencies.

I'm looking for alternative places to AP RAcing and Dirt Bike in the BKK area.

Thanks in adnvance

• 3 weeks later...

Hey AK86, thanks for that helpful post. I have a Yamaha Mio MX 125cc DI45iL automatic scooter with 28,500km. I like to learn so I was watching the guys at the shop change the front brake fluid, coolant fluid, oil, brake pads and air filter.

However, I didn't see anything that looked like automatic transmission fluid being changed or even a spot where it would be stored. I have no idea what I'm looking for though.

They replaced a 4th fluid on the back left side near the transmission and rear brakes, but I think that might have been rear brake fluid? It was a black dirty looking fluid. Language barrier in Thailand made it difficult for me to discuss this with them properly.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Brake fluid is clear-ish save for colored tints added for ID typing.

Type 3 is common in bikes.

Best change it out every 2-3 years.

Sounds like the 4th was the CVT gear oil.

Not exposed to engine heats, this oil doesn't break down.

It should be changed @ break-in [important], thereafter only ever 40-50,000.

Coolant does't really need changing often either.

Oil change @ 4000 is fine on a water-cooled type engine.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by papa al

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a 2nd hand Honda Dream 110, previous owner used it with a sidecar, gearbox is making a "whirring" sound, ..... what to do?

Mechanic or earplugs.
Can i just drop the earplugs into the oilfiller hole, how many should i use?

I bought a 2nd hand Honda Dream 110, previous owner used it with a sidecar, gearbox is making a "whirring" sound, ..... what to do?

Mechanic or earplugs.
Can i just drop the earplugs into the oilfiller hole, how many should i use?
Of course!

About 0.8liter for that bike.

• 4 weeks later...

I own 3 motorbikes. A Honda Phantom, a Honda Wave and a Honda Click.

All the bikes are getting on in years now although I bought them from new.

Since I`ve had them, every 3 to 4 months I take the bikes into my local Niyom Panich for a full service. Cost between 200 to 300 baht a service by professional engineers and if there are any parts needing replacements the mechanics tell me and usually replace or repair on the spot.

Never seen any reasons to service or repair the motorbikes myself, considering that having them regularly serviced is so very cheap. The staff will also come out in my local area during the day if any of my motorbikes refuse to start and take to their workshop for repair.