Missing Swiss Student Tourist Alive And Well, In Thai Prison

Lite Beer

Of course the girl was very silly and deserved to be put into jail, her own fault if this story is true as it reads.

internationally respected nation, or face diplomatic consequences at the highest level. ...........

You are obviously an expert in Thai truth, when it comes to 'authority' positions.

As for Thailand being an internationally respected nation, when it comes to law..... ahum... are you a representative lawyer in balcony jump cases, food poisoning cases, and mysterious deaths by anti-malarial spray insecticides?

Thailand is the hub or international law........ in your mind. I think a mighty 'few' might just disagree with your impetus.

-mel. wink.png

Whoa Did I say any of that ?? What I said was what should be the case with Thailand. I never ever said Thailand was the hub of international law, but it is an accepted democratic nation which treasures its friendship with the USA and most of the western world therefore it needs to respect internationally held legal procedures. I am sure it does in most cases but there really should never be any exceptions to that rule and where mistakes happen then proper apologies issued and necessary compensations made as would or should happen everywhere else.

Big trouble with some (thankfully a minority) in this forum is that they put words in folks mouths that have not been said or written or even implied. Please do not do that, just read what has been said and do not read in your mind's eye what is not there !!! Oh and also I never claimed nor even pretended to be a lawyer of any kind nor even particularly knowledgeable in law, but some aspects of law are pretty much common knowledge and that is what I quoted. So why is that so difficult to comprehend ??. Anyway I have said all I want to say on this issue so agree or not it is up to you, no skin off my nose, but to me it makes perfect sense so I will make no further comment.

• Like 1

She was locked up by immigration immediately....... do you know what that REALLY means???

Ummmm, is this multiple choice?

A) She was waterboarded until she confessed to stealing the camera. ermm.gif

B ) She was served swiss hot chocolate and the air was turned to -4 °C to make her feel more at home.

C) She was put into solitary confinment with a copy of The Damage Done: Twelve Years of Hell in a Bangkok Prison to keep her occupied.

D) They forced her to teach English to the other inmates at a wage that is barely livable. ermm.gif

If you think this was funny I have to disappoint you... wasn't funny at all.

All of us (who lives here) know that there is corruption between police/authorities in Thailand and they do whatever they want and don't really care about real law because they can always make up some "nice" story for foreigner... just try to be involved in car accident - even this is not your fault you will see reaction of policeman who will arrive on the accident scene - you never gonna be equal to Thai citizen (even if you will live here 20 years you will be always farang).

Btw I can hardly imagine even professional thief who is stealing something from police while he is in trouble already...

This story just doesn't add up, and I am not accusing anyone of anything. It's just bloody bizarre.

she probably made a big scene about the over stay, and yelled obscenities at the officers, so they planted the camera on her to teach her a lesson, stupid girl, she should've just paid and moved on quitely, she was at fault.

Yeah and police were right doing this... maybe in your opinion they should also rape her and this still would be ok because she wasn't polite with police officer ?

It could also be that the Swiss girl had a fight with her mother. Maybe she didnt want to be rescued. Maybe she denied to take the phone call that she was allowed to by the Thai authorities. .

Maybe she just wanted to rot in a jail .

• Like 1

Throughout history, the Swiss have always had a weakness for little baubles and cash.

Cut the kid a break for gods sake! cheesy.gif

Seriously 1500 baht? Now she is eating fish-heads and white rice on her one meter square straw mat?

What an idiot!

Edited by RedOctober

It's obviously a case of this woman being falsely imprisoned for a fake "theft" of a camera, which the police planted on her in order to put her more securely in prison. Then they didn't warn her embassy to punish her more thoroughly. This is how they arrest and imprison people they don't like, under false charges. The comments on this page are pretty ignorant to say she got what she deserved or "serves her right" for refusing to pay a fine. Maybe she didn't even refuse, maybe she was arguing that she hadn't really overstayed her visa for one day. It's a sick and ridiculous example of police corruption and misuse of the legal system.

• Like 2

Silly girl, the overstay was easily handled, all she had to do was pay and that would have been it, but pocketing an Immigration officer's camera, big mistake.

From 1500 baht to 130,000 baht is a huge jump.. At 22, you are considered an adult.. Maybe the age requirement for an adult should be moved up a bit. Say about 10 years...

I hope she didn't show up alone at Immigration with less than B1500 on her with a 3 day overstay. Could her refusal to pay be "unable to pay" - because I doubt that Immigration officers would let her walk out to find an ATM/bank.

She had entered Thailand on December 8 with a tourist visa, which allowed her to stay for 15 days

Why is a Tourist Visa only valid for 15 days ? if she came overland with NO Visa she would have been given 15 days........ so say in the report. she had a Tourist Visa

• Like 1

She's stupid to be too proud to don't pay the fee ! She never hear about the immigration problems to avoid ?

They like to insist on the fact she's Swiss ! She's not representative of Swiss people and maybe she isn't a Swiss Native ! mad.gif

Maybe the camera case is a trap ! Only an overstay wasn't enough to serve her of lesson and too much zealous policemen would punish the stupid farang young woman !

Another f...ing farang giving a deplorable picture of Westerners ! The Russians are enough there to show the bad face of farang with their very bad habits ! Por laeo !!!

Edited by Westaurel

There is no point in guessing. You do not know, have absolutely no idea, of what actually happened!

The above quote is the best and most applicable one here so-far.

Read it and keep repeating it to yourselves every time you feel the urge to punch the keyboard about this news story and sadly the majority of "News" items reported here.

It could be possible that the Swiss embassy was well notified but as in other case not show up. I know a case where they not contacted a prisoner for more than 4 weeks. And this prisoner was put with no guilt in jail. During this 4 weeks the police helped a "person" to steal all his belongings of more than 1 mio bath. TIT and TIS (switzerland).

Anyway I doubt this girl has stolen a cheap camera as I know a lot about the doing of officials, specially if they lost face.

This could well be true. It happened on Xmas day. Anyone know what the Swiss Embassy holiday details are over the Xmas/New Year period ?

Edited by I Like Thai

I had an encounter with these Imm.DHs last week.One says this another says that-we all know about this problem in Thailand-in my case the officer who had told me that I didnt have to bring a witness into the office for my marriage visa application wasnt in the office when I returned with a signed reference,the girl at the desk immediately refused the paperwork saying I did indeed have to bring the witness in and I tried to explain that another officer had just one hour previously told me not to bring the witness in.At that time three other officers lounging around doing nothing and looking for trouble pounced and started a whole hubbub,threatening to arrest me,none of them spoke English well or perhaps they pretended to not understand so eventually I said allright,I'll bring the witness in , if you are the boss then thats it I will bring the witness,finish,they werent having that and they played it up on and on until the commander finally came out from his office and joined in with them,at least he spoke English, so again I relayed everything to him and eventually he calmed down after threatening to tear up my application etc.Who knows how these chaps got their jobs but they are definitely uneducated and it seems they are ready to pounce on any foreigner just to extract some easy money from them.I was not rude to them and I simply tried to tell them what I was told by the other officer whom we had dealt with on the previous two visits,but they werent listening, so I suspect that this was also the case here,with this girl who presented a easy mark for them and they played it up to get some real money out of her, and I would not put it past them to have actually planted the camera on her as well.Sad to say but that is what we are up against here.Not all of them are predators of course but there are unacceptably too many of them that make the visitors very wary of getting more involved here,

• Like 2

Why on earth didn't the authorities contact the Swiss Embassy informing them of her arrest?

If it wasn't for pure luck she could have been in jail for a very long time.

The Thai authorities care little for their own people so it goes to follow even less for foreigners

• Like 1

This has the smell of extortion all over it, held incommunicado against international rules. Makes one wonder what pics were on that 7 year old camera.

She over stayed her visa and as such was ilegal. How can the authorities sell her along with the burmese if they notify the embassy of her whereabouts? Probably bring a better price than the Rohingya as the market is flooded with them.rolleyes.gif
  • Like 1

I had an encounter with these Imm.DHs last week.One says this another says that-we all know about this problem in Thailand-in my case the officer who had told me that I didnt have to bring a witness into the office for my marriage visa application wasnt in the office when I returned with a signed reference,the girl at the desk immediately refused the paperwork saying I did indeed have to bring the witness in and I tried to explain that another officer had just one hour previously told me not to bring the witness in.At that time three other officers lounging around doing nothing and looking for trouble pounced and started a whole hubbub,threatening to arrest me,none of them spoke English well or perhaps they pretended to not understand so eventually I said allright,I'll bring the witness in , if you are the boss then thats it I will bring the witness,finish,they werent having that and they played it up on and on until the commander finally came out from his office and joined in with them,at least he spoke English, so again I relayed everything to him and eventually he calmed down after threatening to tear up my application etc.Who knows how these chaps got their jobs but they are definitely uneducated and it seems they are ready to pounce on any foreigner just to extract some easy money from them.I was not rude to them and I simply tried to tell them what I was told by the other officer whom we had dealt with on the previous two visits,but they werent listening, so I suspect that this was also the case here,with this girl who presented a easy mark for them and they played it up to get some real money out of her, and I would not put it past them to have actually planted the camera on her as well.Sad to say but that is what we are up against here.Not all of them are predators of course but there are unacceptably too many of them that make the visitors very wary of getting more involved here,

Sounds like you had a bad experience. What I try to do when dealing with Thai officials, is basically do what they say. If they tell me I need a blue duck with an egg on his head, then I'll go get it and bring it back. I find if you try to tell or explain things to them, it goes downhill fairly fast and will rarely go back up hill again.

• Like 1

She's stupid to be too proud to don't pay the fee ! She never hear about the immigration problems to avoid ?

They like to insist on the fact she's Swiss ! She's not representative of Swiss people and maybe she isn't a Swiss Native ! mad.gif

Maybe the camera case is a trap ! Only an overstay wasn't enough to serve her of lesson and too much zealous policemen would punish the stupid farang young woman !

Another f...ing farang giving a deplorable picture of Westerners ! The Russians are enough there to show the bad face of farang with their very bad habits ! Por laeo !!!

Are you mad? You reckon a kleptomaniac swiss woman could be bothered to risk stealing a policemans camera?

As thefts go, that is one of the stupidest. Ergo, stupid thieves are normally in jail already, and certainly aren't normally studying in Singapore university

This has the smell of extortion all over it, held incommunicado against international rules. Makes one wonder what pics were on that 7 year old camera.

She over stayed her visa and as such was ilegal. How can the authorities sell her along with the burmese if they notify the embassy of her whereabouts? Probably bring a better price than the Rohingya as the market is flooded with them.rolleyes.gif

Given that it is also officials in Ranong that have been uncovered by the BBC as people trafficing early this week it might be interesting to see who else is in their prison there or what else they have been up to.

Edited by Orac

Silly girl, the overstay was easily handled, all she had to do was pay and that would have been it, but pocketing an Immigration officer's camera, big mistake.

At this stage, you can only believe her version or the immigration officer's.

Pick your choice.

There is no point in guessing. You do not know, have absolutely no idea, of what actually happened!

Agreed, because it certainly doesn't make sense as it stands.

I didn't know Thailand gave out 15 day Visas...... , I am guessing she came in overland Dec 8th without any visa. If she had a tourist visa she would have received 60 days surely.