Ikea Ad Upsets Thai Transgender Group: Bangkok

webfact

Watch any of these silly comedy shows or series and you'll see ladyboys being mocked.

so that makes it OK?

Nope! Not one bit!

But they are on for...centuries and I never heard any 3rd -gender organisation speak up about them.

As I also never heard of any Isan- people- organisation, speak up about the constant mocking of their "kind".

Why not start with cleaning up your "own"mess, before attacking IKEA?

you are making assumptions that complaints haven't been made in other areas and you are dichotomising the issue. The actions about other media don't mitigate the complaint against IKEA. in fact it would seem logical as an international or foreign company they need to look to an international code of behaviour rather than stereotyping part of their new customers' nationals.

Edited by wilcopops

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch any of these silly comedy shows or series and you'll see ladyboys being mocked.

so that makes it OK?

Nope! Not one bit!

But they are on for...centuries and I never heard any 3rd -gender organisation speak up about them.

As I also never heard of any Isan- people- organisation, speak up about the constant mocking of their "kind".

Why not start with cleaning up your "own"mess, before attacking IKEA?

you are making assumptions that complaints haven't been made in other areas and you are dichotomising the issue. The actions about other media don't mitigate the complaint against IKEA. in fact it would seem logical as an international or foreign company they need to look to an international code of behaviour rather than stereotyping part of their new customers' nationals.

What is the actual huff about? We have a guy who like to dress up in womens clothing and prance about. On this occasion he is getting paid to do it and I am sure no one was holding a gun to his head. You see these guys in the cosmetic/womens clothing sections of the department stores, all have voices like lumberjacks and no one is complaining about the thai owned stores. You see them in Tesco and 7/11 the local markets. The best thing to do that will avoid upseting people is not to hire these guys.

What is the actual huff about? We have a guy who like to dress up in womens clothing and prance about. On this occasion he is getting paid to do it and I am sure no one was holding a gun to his head. You see these guys in the cosmetic/womens clothing sections of the department stores, all have voices like lumberjacks and no one is complaining about the thai owned stores. You see them in Tesco and 7/11 the local markets. The best thing to do that will avoid upseting people is not to hire these guys.

you completely misinterpret the situation - we are talking transgender here.

It is precisely this lack of understanding that the complaint is about.

Why dont they pick on the ladyboy in the advert for selling them out? Oh yes he/she is Thai therefore CANNOT be wrong!

That's a bit of an assumption, isn't it? Forgive me, but you seem in need of a rest home cure.

Totally disagree.

You've got ladboys/transgenders all over Sukhumvit/Pattaya/Cowboy etc plying their trade. Why dont the 'Transgender appreciation commitee' have a go at them for giving the impression that all transgenders are hookers?

Or maybe the Transgender on 'Thailands got Talent (but you wont see any on this show)' He/she switched voices mid song.

Very much a case of if Thais mock them/use them in soaps it's ok. if foreigners do it, its evil.

I wonder if the actor/actress? in the commercial thought it was negative and stereotypical when she/he picked up his/her cheque?

i think it is very funny.

shes pretty hot to boot

I woke up one morning with someone with a voice like that.

After a cough and a fart the previous nights voice came back and all was good with the world again.

You shouldn't drink so muchthumbsup.gif kidding.

Why dont they pick on the ladyboy in the advert for selling them out? Oh yes he/she is Thai therefore CANNOT be wrong!

That's a bit of an assumption, isn't it? Forgive me, but you seem in need of a rest home cure.

Totally disagree.

You've got ladboys/transgenders all over Sukhumvit/Pattaya/Cowboy etc plying their trade. Why dont the 'Transgender appreciation commitee' have a go at them for giving the impression that all transgenders are hookers?

Or maybe the Transgender on 'Thailands got Talent (but you wont see any on this show)' He/she switched voices mid song.

Very much a case of if Thais mock them/use them in soaps it's ok. if foreigners do it, its evil.

I wonder if the actor/actress? in the commercial thought it was negative and stereotypical when she/he picked up his/her cheque?

Why dont the 'Transgender appreciation commitee' have a go at them for giving the impression that all transgenders are hookers?

Absolutely spot on. I did watch that M-phone commercial, which seemed to me to equally degrading to lady boys. Not a peep about that as it is home grown apparently.

I don't see all that much 'derogatory' towards the transgender grouping in this brief vdo; slightly humorous perhaps,and at best.

On the subject of "transgender" have you seen this amazing vdo-clip:

Certainly blew me away !

Worth a look & listen.

clap2.gif

Note to self and the boys

We're going to have to be VERY careful in TL!blink.png

Totally disagree.

Why dont the 'Transgender appreciation commitee' have a go at them for giving the impression that all transgenders are hookers?

Absolutely spot on. I did watch that M-phone commercial, which seemed to me to equally degrading to lady boys. Not a peep about that as it is home grown apparently.

yet again making assumptions on a personal and limited scan of the Thai press?

I wonder how they felt about the sperm bank robbery ad?

555555 both are extremely funny the one from the sperm bank I can see over and over again. funny facts of life that's all.

OK i'm a newbie here so i'll use one of my newbie silver bullets to ask a stupid question.

what is the reference to the "5's" and "sperm bank robbery ad"?

Thanks in advance for your reply and patience :)

OK i'm a newbie here so i'll use one of my newbie silver bullets to ask a stupid question.

Thanks in advance for your reply and patience smile.png

Check that, i found both on youtube.

555555 both are extremely funny the one from the sperm bank I can see over and over again. funny facts of life that's all.

Hi Newbie, no stupid question at all, the 5 refers to the number 5 in Thai Language which is pronounced as HA so 55555 is pronounced hahahahaha the sperm robbery ad refers to a Thai advertising from a while ago have a look your self the English subtitles will help you get it. Once you have seen the ad you can click on many more of these Thai ads and they are very funny at least that's what I think

Have a great day in Amazing Thailand.!!

• Like 1

I am with you I have no idea what 555555 means either. I think it is sort alien code for hello or some private freemason talk.

Hi Newbie, no stupid question at all, the 5 refers to the number 5 in Thai Language which is pronounced as HA so 55555 is pronounced hahahahaha the sperm robbery ad refers to a Thai advertising from a while ago have a look your self the English subtitles will help you get it. Once you have seen the ad you can click on many more of these Thai ads and they are very funny at least that's what I think

oh so the response is written in a mixture of thai and english, that's why I couldn't understand what it meant. Might be easier to use lol.

yet again making assumptions on a personal and limited scan of the Thai press?

Nope. Apparently the Thai police in Chiang Mai use the same assumptions, as a few years ago they said they were tired of lady boys preying on tourists, and the police had a big crack down on them. I actually and truly do not care what people do at home, I just do not want to get pick pocketed walking down Sukumvit. Maybe if I lived "upcountry" that would not happen...clap2.gif

But back to topic. I actually had no idea a defense group for transgender people existed. Guess I am out of the loop......

I wonder if the girls who want to be men fall under the same protection umbrella. And yes I have watched the comedy shows

where they razz the piss out of the ladyboys, and that seems to be a non issue. Why ???

Edited by EyesWideOpen

shes pretty hot to boot

You mean "HE" not my cup of tea. I prefer women.

indeed, i do too, but there is no denying that the person in the ad is attractive, and in my estimation anyone who has gone to that much trouble to look like a woman has earned the right to be called she.

What intrigues me however is that you felt the need to both "correct" my use of pronoun and to assert your preference.

I am with you I have no idea what 555555 means either. I think it is sort alien code for hello or some private freemason talk.

anyone with the most rudimentary knowledge of thai (the ability to count to 5) understandsa the 555 = ha ha ha = laughter

shes pretty hot to boot

You mean "HE" not my cup of tea. I prefer women.

indeed, i do too, but there is no denying that the person in the ad is attractive, and in my estimation anyone who has gone to that much trouble to look like a woman has earned the right to be called she.

What intrigues me however is that you felt the need to both "correct" my use of pronoun and to assert your preference.

My appologies, He is not my cup of tea, I prefer women.

anyone with the most rudimentary knowledge of thai (the ability to count to 5) understandsa the 555 = ha ha ha = laughter

55555, you're assuming that long-termers bother to learn that much. tongue.png

or the TV members living abroad, the new arrivals and those that just joined TV should become fluent in Thai before doing so. I think what candypants forgets is that posts are suppose to be made in english and not thai and not everyone texts in thai on thier mobile phones so using thai text abreviasions is pointless. Personally I have never sent a text message in Thai. Also anyone with any knowledge also would know that candypants is a derogatory term for certain members of society. Edited by chooka

or the TV members living abroad, the new arrivals and those that just joined TV should become fluent in Thai before doing so. I think what candypants forgets is that posts are suppose to be made in english and not thai and not everyone texts in thai on thier mobile phones so using thai text abreviasions is pointless. Personally I have never sent a text message in Thai. Also anyone with any knowledge also would know that candypants is a derogatory term for certain members of society.

I would hardly call counting to five as being fluent, and I never said TV members living abroad, new arrivals, or new forum members should know what it means. Notice how I said "long-termers" in my reply, as in people who live in Thailand long term. But hey, I didn't know what it meant when I first saw it. But the difference is I asked a Thai person instead of just saying "I have no idea what 555555 means either" and leaving it at that.

And 5555555 is not a Thai text abbreviation. Thai language has its own numerals.

I don't see all that much 'derogatory' towards the transgender grouping in this brief vdo; slightly humorous perhaps,and at best.

On the subject of "transgender" have you seen this amazing vdo-clip:

Certainly blew me away !

Worth a look & listen.

clap2.gif

Love this - saw it when it was big news just after being aired. Sad though to hear how she talks about her father "trying to beat the gay out of her" - she still says "I love you.." and "...I made it".

or the TV members living abroad, the new arrivals and those that just joined TV should become fluent in Thai before doing so. I think what candypants forgets is that posts are suppose to be made in english and not thai and not everyone texts in thai on thier mobile phones so using thai text abreviasions is pointless. Personally I have never sent a text message in Thai. Also anyone with any knowledge also would know that candypants is a derogatory term for certain members of society.

I would hardly call counting to five as being fluent, and I never said TV members living abroad, new arrivals, or new forum members should know what it means. Notice how I said "long-termers" in my reply, as in people who live in Thailand long term. But hey, I didn't know what it meant when I first saw it. But the difference is I asked a Thai person instead of just saying "I have no idea what 555555 means either" and leaving it at that.

And 5555555 is not a Thai text abbreviation. Thai language has its own numerals.

Nah fluency is getting to 20 I believe :D

I use it all the time on MSN/Skype - I often forget who I am talking to and use it with non-Thais too - all my western family and friends know what it means now (some even use it back to me) - of course all the Thais I chat to know what it means (Thai for LOL). Won't be long before its wide spread - and Inuits will; be wondering why they are texting 555 to their mates next-igloo.

The one that used to get me though was "eh" - for me that meant "I don't understand", when of course it means "Yes"/"I agree"/"I know"/"True"/etc.

Thanks for that great explaination!

PS i was finally able to see all the vids.

Jr is very scared and wont come out of the boxers.

He keeps saying "theres no place like home, theres no place like home" cheesy.gif

After seeing the vids, i think dating in TL is going to come with some trepidation! :D

• Like 1