Ikea Ad Upsets Thai Transgender Group: Bangkok

webfact

And 5555555 is not a Thai text abbreviation. Thai language has its own numerals.

Yes it does, but there is a karaoke bar within one km of my house called 555, it has a big sign with the numerals 555 not in Thai, they know what it means, I know what it means, and everyone who goes there know what it means.

It's called cross cultural, the Thais are trying it, suggest you do too.

• Like 1

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And 5555555 is not a Thai text abbreviation. Thai language has its own numerals.

Yes it does, but there is a karaoke bar within one km of my house called 555, it has a big sign with the numerals 555 not in Thai, they know what it means, I know what it means, and everyone who goes there know what it means.

Huh? I'd try reading the relevant posts if I were you. I already know what it means, the person I was responding to didn't. Try reading the below quote and see if you can figure out why I wrote what I did...

I think what candypants forgets is that posts are suppose to be made in english and not thai and not everyone texts in thai on thier mobile phones so using thai text abreviasions is pointless. Personally I have never sent a text message in Thai.

Cross cultural, ummh. How does that fit in with transgender, or should I say cross sexual. Should I really try 'it' ? rolleyes.gif

Cross cultural, ummh. How does that fit in with transgender, or should I say cross sexual. Should I really try 'it' ? rolleyes.gif

If you wanna try it - I just got a new pair of garden shears that are quite sharp.

5555555 is used all over the Thai internet as their version of lol. It's very widespread.

Yes I'm aware of that. Please read the below quote I was responding to as it will clear up why I wrote what I did...

I think what candypants forgets is that posts are suppose to be made in english and not thai and not everyone texts in thai on thier mobile phones so using thai text abreviasions is pointless. Personally I have never sent a text message in Thai.

When one dresses as a woman and tries to act as one but really is a male is'nt that false advertising? Or in english deceit. To : decive an act to say or advertise something as real when in reality is not. So all you cupcakes out not judging your choice It is you who has to live with it.

The one that used to get me though was "eh" - for me that meant "I don't understand", when of course it means "Yes"/"I agree"/"I know"/"True"/etc.

Every second or third 'noise' in a Thai to Thai phone call!

• Like 1

I wonder if any of them ever thought that the chances are high that it was a Thai advertising agency who masterminded the commercial. I guess a perfect solution for them would be for Ikea to close its doors in Thailand so hundreds of their fellow countrymen are out of a job.

*Just like the government of the great state of South Carolina wanted to do to the French company Michelin because France did not support the war in Iraq. When they realized they had family and neighbors working at the company who would lose their job they quickly <deleted> and killed the bill.

• Like 1

We loaded up two cart loads of accesories for some apartments in Pattaya at IKEA to be told the delivery charge was 4200 b-about the price of four taxis, in addition to the circa 120,000 b for the lamps, tableware and other high margin junk.

I offered 1000 and they refused. So we left them to put it all back on the shelves at the checkout and bought it all in Pattaya for 30-40,000 less.

We loaded up two cart loads of accesories for some apartments in Pattaya at IKEA to be told the delivery charge was 4200 b-about the price of four taxis, in addition to the circa 120,000 b for the lamps, tableware and other high margin junk.

I offered 1000 and they refused. So we left them to put it all back on the shelves at the checkout and bought it all in Pattaya for 30-40,000 less.

It is overprised cheap looking trashy stuff. The bogans seem to like it tho Edited by chooka

5555555 is used all over the Thai internet as their version of lol. It's very widespread.

I am perfectly aware of that, but the numerals are not Thai, they are western.

And they are understood all over Thailand...

I am perfectly aware of that, but the numerals are not Thai, they are western.

If, by 'western' you mean Arabic then i see what you mean...

Now that everyone has enough photos of the Ikea displays for their Facebook profile, it's time the place was torn down and turned into a night bazaar. rolleyes.gif

...make that a Central shopping center...

• 3 weeks later...

Ikea is not getting it right in many ways here !

Warning !!

Ikea home delivery is overcharging big times !

Compared with their advertised rates on ikea.co.th di they want 8 times the price when i asked.

I was lucky that a good man in Ikea told me to check their delivery rates before i paied (a man employed by Ikea) and he was right !

So i kicked the wagon with goods for 35.000 back in the shop !!

They wanted to charge 7500 Baht for less then one M/3 to Khon Kaen, advertised rate is 900 Baht.

So take care !!!

offtopic.gifcoffee1.gif