Rimping By River

uptheos

Main reason I'm not even considering Tops is that they're located in big malls, where getting in and out takes as much time as the actual shopping.

In addition to being freshest and best price, Makro is also fastest to get in and out of. (Rim Ping not too bad in that respect either, except when they're organizing bullshit events in their parking lot.)

Agree with your point. I've had to wean my tribe off of quick visits (and parking) at airport plaza, especially on week-ends to buy something very simple and often not urgent or critical and easily bought elsewhere.

They know now to not suggest airport plaza, and on week-ends we also now avoid Big C Extra for the same reason.

Although the parking can be a hassle, I much prefer Airport Plaza when it's full with people, it just makes it more vibrant. I wouldn't go there especially for TOPS, but I might pick up a few items if I am in the plaza.

I guarantee that whichever 'supermarket' I go in, there is a farang with wife/gf in tow, trolley with mostly western items for him and a small fish sauce for her. He is trying not to look worried or look at her and keeps some distance from his wife/gf, who is currently examining and considering trying some expensive western item, which of course he doesn't like. Sometimes I overhear "oh you won't like that", when she shows it to him. biggrin.png

Yep seen this before and even more severe, have an acquaintance in Pattaya who has a Thai wife, and I'm surprised the marriage has lasted.

The farang tries to insist that his wife eat western food only and there is a large stock of western food producst in their kitchen. Nothing Thai whatever, not even a pack of mama.

This even extends to her underwear and lots more, he insists that she have everything from Marks and Spencer only.

For the food, the reality is of course she makes numerous excuses to get away from the house to quickly eat on the streets, and I don't blame her.

And the type of western food is most often dictated by the farang. If the Thai lady wants to try something a little bit pricey that he doesn't like, that's when he becomes nervous and twitchy.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this thread is like watching a knifefight at the Price Is Right Bar. I never imagined people were so passionate about the prices and quantities of grocery items.

That made me laugh. how long have you been reading Thaivisa ? Thanks for brightening up my day as a Thaivisa moderator biggrin.png

Dueling salamis? Dawn? By the river?

• Like 1

And the type of western food is most often dictated by the farang. If the Thai lady wants to try something a little bit pricey that he doesn't like, that's when he becomes nervous and twitchy.

Only the extremely pussy whipped go shopping with their Mrs.

Mine buys her own stuff, using her own wallet, without me along.

Just to mention the best Sausage and Bacon sandwich in the world can be readily assembled from products sold in Rimping.

G&M Nerberger sausages (4 for 31bht)

Hapico Dry cured smoked bacon (300g for 105bht)

Dannie Butter Salt Added (227gm for 75Bht)

JJ Bakery White Wholemeal Delsing English Bread (720gm loaf 58bht)

The bread is very solid and firm, you can spread the butter on it straight from the fridge with no danger of breakage.

The sausage should be fried for slightly longer than the bacon (2 sausage + 2 bacon). Best to cut the sausage lengthwise before insertion.

Now the only debate is unspiced, HP sauce or Colemans Mustard as the final additive ...... I can go either way.

• Like 1

Just to mention the best Sausage and Bacon sandwich in the world can be readily assembled from products sold in Rimping.

The bread is very solid and firm, you can spread the butter on it straight from the fridge with no danger of breakage.

The sausage should be fried for slightly longer than the bacon (2 sausage + 2 bacon). Best to cut the sausage lengthwise before insertion.

Now the only debate is unspiced, HP sauce or Colemans Mustard as the final additive ...... I can go either way.

I just tried Hapico's dry cured back bacon 2 days ago. As an American, I am hurt to confess that I now prefer back bacon to pork belly bacon. Curse you, Hapico, for undermining my morale.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

In my humble opinion Rimping is by far the best supermarket in town for quality and variety of product. The only Tops store I go into is at Kad Suan Gael and I would say the claim to fame at that store would be for empty shelves. For general all purpose shopping Makro is the go to store.

Rim Ping by the River, friendly staff, friendly checkout girls, but the service if you are looking for a particular item is absolute <deleted>, and the endless lies "TiT" are getting more and more unacceptable.

Some items (some locally produced) I have been told that they were no longer being made and then they are back on the shelf.

Waited more than 6 months for an item (being told no longer being imported and I go to Big C and I buy 10 of them)

Fray Bentos Pies, they start stocking them and next thing they are no longer available. If they are not serious about stocking 1st world quality merchandise why put it on the shelves in the first place.

Imported items should now be cheaper with the strong baht, but prices are going through the roof at present.

Locally made puff pastry was THB 195 and then no stocks, I ordered some and it was THB 290 (I should have told them to stick it where the sun don't shine)

But it is the endless lies and a complete indifference in terms of service. (and I have a thousand examples in my memory bank)

Nim City branch is a 100 times better. Admittedly pricing is the same.

Edited by johnlandy

#55 '...the wrath of the expert on every thing you know who....'

Pray tell deutschman, 'the expert', has not now moved from the financial sectors to trample free opinion here. sad.png Say t'aint so Dooly.

Try to make it real - compared to what?

I went to a coffee shop 11 days in a row and ordered exactly the same thing, one thing. I was charged 5 different prices and on 6 days the price was incorrect because I was given the same incorrect price more than once. That was at a Starbucks in California last month.

I also ordered the same product 3 times from Amazon. The first delivery was the wrong product so they sent me another one which the wrong one again. After much assurance from them that they could provide the product described on their webpage, I ordered again and again got the wrong product. In each case their customer service assured me that they could deliver the correct product and after delivery in each case their customer service offered a different fix successively declining in desirability.

So try to be realistic about what we expect from Chiang Mai customer service.

A lot of time "lies" are a product of a lack of language proficiency or just not knowing the answer.

Ewe G, the manager (s) at more than one of the Rim Pings speak fluent English so language is not an issue and I have been here more than 20 years so I know the 'real deal'

If your small chain had a purchasing department and every inquiry made by a customer was referred to the PD of course they (the person fielding the question) wouldn't know the answer.

It is a managers job to manage, to deal with all issues, to find answers, and not to blame someone else.

I said that I could give a thousand examples of deceitful lies.

OK why do I deal there?, I have my reasons and one of them is I live in hope.

Reading this thread is like watching a knifefight at the Price Is Right Bar. I never imagined people were so passionate about the prices and quantities of grocery items.

That made me laugh. how long have you been reading Thaivisa ? Thanks for brightening up my day as a Thaivisa moderator biggrin.png

Actually, we had one member who proposed an Aspergerish project where we would all join and to create a spreadsheet to compare prices at various supermarkets. Oddly enough that venture was hooted down and this person seems to have disappeared shortly thereafter from thaivisa.

Alas you speak the truth I am misguided where therefore would one find this G&M Sausage at such a ridicules low price. Tis indeed strange that you know who has not started a thread on it proclaiming for all to hear Makro is high priced. Sausage here for 289 baht a kilo Makro 690 baht a kilo,

Purchased at Rimping by the river on Saturday. (there were four sausages in the packet originally)

post-151798-0-25643200-1369572638_thumb.

Still 289bht per kilo.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

All this good stuff was readily available in HK pre-1997. Then much of it gradually disappeared. It was not so exciting when HK had it. But when the good cheeses left, then times were bleak.

When someone mentions Mcvities, I always think of HK, and used to buy bags of them to take back to Taipei until I returned to HK about a month later when I would buy more.

Great product!!!

A lot of time "lies" are a product of a lack of language proficiency or just not knowing the answer.

Ewe G, the manager (s) at more than one of the Rim Pings speak fluent English so language is not an issue and I have been here more than 20 years so I know the 'real deal'

If your small chain had a purchasing department and every inquiry made by a customer was referred to the PD of course they (the person fielding the question) wouldn't know the answer.

It is a managers job to manage, to deal with all issues, to find answers, and not to blame someone else.

"A thousand examples of deceitful lies." Wow! Does that mean you've been to Rim Ring Narawat at least a thousand times and every one of those times, a a staff member told you a lie? Or do you bring a list with several items and they lied to you about the reasons for the absence of those items. Or have you been there even more than a thousand times with only the occasional question. Awesome! And what's even more awesome, you can give a thousand examples. Do you remember every one of those requests? Or do you keep a log of them? Maybe in an excel file? Oddly enough , I know the manager of Rim Ping Narawat quite well since she used to manage Rim Ping Mee Chok. And she always seemed to me to be an upright and conscientious person. In fact, there she was a great favorite of the customers on account of her excellent English and general helpfulness. She was never too busy to run off to the shelves to help a customer find something

Still, I can't help but wonder why you still put in requests. Is it out of masochism or a desire for martyrdom?

I was at Rimping Narawat last week browsing the cereal aisle. I was looking at the big orange lable across one of the shelves that had "Nestles Fitnesse Fruit & Fibre, buy one get one free". They were boxes stuck together with green tape with buy one get one free written on. I picked up one to look at it, but when I turned it around the other box was Corn Flakes not Fruit & Fibre. I looked at many boxes and they were all the same. I did speak to the manageress (it's verifiable) and she was ever so polite, said she saw this as a 'learning experience' whatever she meant. She went to the aisle and immediately took down the long orange sign that said Fitnesse Buy One Get One Free, but I notice they did not change the boxes, but simply left them taped together so you now just read the green tape that says "buy one get one free", which is actually correct, because it now doesn't say that the free one is Fitnesse Fruit & Fibre. biggrin.png

Edited by uptheos

• 2 weeks later...

"A thousand examples of deceitful lies." Wow! Does that mean you've been to Rim Ring Narawat at least a thousand times and every one of those times, a a staff member told you a lie? Or do you bring a list with several items and they lied to you about the reasons for the absence of those items. Or have you been there even more than a thousand times with only the occasional question. Awesome! And what's even more awesome, you can give a thousand examples. Do you remember every one of those requests? Or do you keep a log of them? Maybe in an excel file? Oddly enough , I know the manager of Rim Ping Narawat quite well since she used to manage Rim Ping Mee Chok. And she always seemed to me to be an upright and conscientious person. In fact, there she was a great favorite of the customers on account of her excellent English and general helpfulness. She was never too busy to run off to the shelves to help a customer find something

Still, I can't help but wonder why you still put in requests. Is it out of masochism or a desire for martyrdom?

Wow! Yes ‘wow’ indeed, The figure of 1,000 was a figure of speech "OK"? But it certainly got your attention didn’t it. Your attention however was not the

object of the exercise, I thought (yes ‘silly me') that the owner might have been interested enough to see what people (some at least) were saying on the

web about his enterprise and their level of satisfaction/dissatisfaction with it. (they are aware of the fact that they feature on this forum)

I should have known that he/she wouldn’t have been very interested as the feedback forms once submitted I am sure all go directly into the shredder. (particularly those that relate to constructive criticism)

I have never said that the staff were unhelpful, unpleasant, or anything of that nature, but I might go so far as to suggest that they (several) are at best incompetent.

There have been a number of posts on this (and other threads) stating that Rimping is either "expensive OR VERY expensive" quote: They also have by far the highest prices of any chain store in town. unquote:

So you might ask yourself also why anyone even walks in the door.

And as for “is it out of masochism or a desire for martyrdom?” I use them at and for my convenience, and again I will repeat, I have my reasons and one of them (not the only one) is that I live in hope.

Edited by johnlandy

Wow! Yes ‘wow’ indeed, The figure of 1,000 was a figure of speech "OK"? But it certainly got your attention didn’t it. Your attention however was not the

object of the exercise, I thought (yes ‘silly me') that the owner might have been interested enough to see what people (some at least) were saying on the

web about his enterprise and their level of satisfaction/dissatisfaction with it. (they are aware of the fact that they feature on this forum)

I should have known that he/she wouldn’t have been very interested as the feedback forms once submitted I am sure all go directly into the shredder. (particularly those that relate to constructive criticism)

I have never said that the staff were unhelpful, unpleasant, or anything of that nature, but I might go so far as to suggest that they (several) are at best incompetent.

There have been a number of posts on this (and other threads) stating that Rimping is either "expensive OR VERY expensive" quote: They also have by far the highest prices of any chain store in town. unquote:

And as for “is it out of masochism or a desire for martyrdom?” I use them at and for my convenience, and again I will repeat, I have my reasons and one of them (not the only one) is that I live in hope.

"Wow! Yes ‘wow’ indeed, The figure of 1,000 was a figure of speech "OK"? But it certainly got your attention didn’t it. Your attention however was not the

web about his enterprise and their level of satisfaction/dissatisfaction with it. (they are aware of the fact that they feature on this forum)"

And you thought that accusing the staff of "A thousand examples of deceitful lies" was a way to get the owner to get the owner to take you seriously? Really?

"I should have known that he/she wouldn’t have been very interested as the feedback forms once submitted I am sure all go directly into the shredder. (particularly those that relate to constructive criticism)"

Well, if your approach on those feedback forms was anything like what you've adopted here, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your comments were shredded. And maybe sprinkled with holy water for good measure.

"I have never said that the staff were unhelpful, unpleasant, or anything of that nature, but I might go so far as to suggest that they (several) are at best incompetent."

So, telling "deceitful lies" is somehow helpful or neutral? And if the staff were to hold you up at gunpoint, would you characterize that as magnanimous? I'm puzzled.

You realize that you're quoting an anonymous source? As I recall, on this thread, it was mainly one poster, namely The Vicar, who was doing the condemning. She asserted that she had no self-interest in her invidious comparison of Rim Ping to Tops and she challenged me to say the same. And she apparently believed that her assertion had some probative value despite the fact the she was anonymous. Bizarre.

And even if you are quoting from several different posters, of what value is that?. These are self selected samples.

Finally, Rim Ping and Tops are both going after the same demographic. We have as perfect a natural experiment as we can reasonably hope for in the former Rim Ping at Chang Puak that is now occupied by Tops. Used to be that the parking lot there was heavily occupied. Not any more. When it was a Rim Ping, there were lots of cashier lines open. Now that it's a Tops, I rarely see more than 2. ANd this despite the big increase in the farang population over the intervening years. I remember reading a fable somewhere about a sage who was asked to distinguish between 2 bouquets: one of real flowers the other a very artful imitation. His method was simple: he followed the bees.

For most of us, I think that question is a no-brainer.

I can't believe what I am reading, we men discussing food shopping!

You think that's unbelievable? I've heard that there are guys or blokes out there who get into heated conversations about some uniformed men on a field who either kick a large ball back and forth or take swipes at a small ball with elongated pieces of wood. I've even heard that these events often lead to violence off the field among people who are watching the event. But that I simply can't credit. In fact, now that I think about it, the whole thing sounds like bad fiction.

• Like 1