Underage Sex Workers Found At Jomtien Beer Bar

Rimmer

@wolf5370. It appears to me that, if you give links to the correct info people do not want to take the time and read it, then give their interpretation and constructive comments of the actual facts.rolleyes.gif

t'was always so :D

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it illegal? I was of the understanding 15 was the legal age, and for it to be underage prostitution it had to be at a brothel (and then it is 18 minimum) - so were the girls going to ,erm, service the guy on the establishment?

Not that that I am interested in teenage prostitutes or their services you understand, just wondering which law they were ceased on.

Yes, it (prostitution), is illegal in Thailand no matter what the age. The legal age of consent between to individuals is 15, to work in a bar serving beer etc, I believe is either 18 or 20. Thai's are not legally allowed to drink until they are 20 or 21.

wrong. offering sex for money is legal from the age of 18.

Here is in general terms a simple overview of the situation:

1- prostitution is legal for persons older than 18, if done outside prostitution establishments

2- solicitation is mostly illegal, though it is ok if done discreetly and outside prostitution establishments

3- profiting from prostitution of third parties is illegal in all cases (procuring, promoting, trafficking, facilitating, etc.)

Edited by manarak

so young such sad start to life

On and on it goes....way too young to ruin their lives.

Assuming of course the pot the jumped from was better than the fire they landed in, so to speak.

Edited by wolf5370

Assuming of course the pot the jumped from was better than the fire they landed in, so to speak.

It aint Kansas....but it aint a land of such grinding poverty either. I've no idea what drives a 16 year old girl into a bar, all I know is its a waste of a life.

• Like 2

Is it illegal? I was of the understanding 15 was the legal age, and for it to be underage prostitution it had to be at a brothel (and then it is 18 minimum) - so were the girls going to ,erm, service the guy on the establishment?

Not that that I am interested in teenage prostitutes or their services you understand, just wondering which law they were ceased on.

Yes, it (prostitution), is illegal in Thailand no matter what the age. The legal age of consent between to individuals is 15, to work in a bar serving beer etc, I believe is either 18 or 20. Thai's are not legally allowed to drink until they are 20 or 21.

1- prostitution is legal for persons older than 18, if done outside prostitution establishments

2- solicitation is mostly illegal, though it is ok if done discreetly and outside prostitution establishments

3- profiting from prostitution of third parties is illegal in all cases (procuring, promoting, trafficking, facilitating, etc.)

"The bottom line is that if she is over 18, agreements are kept and she is not being forced to do anything against her own free will, then there is nothing to worry about when it comes to the law." - Kathu Police Superintendent Col Grissak Songmoonnak:

http://www.thaivisa....ce-of-thai-law/

It aint Kansas....but it aint a land of such grinding poverty either. I've no idea what drives a 16 year old girl into a bar, all I know is its a waste of a life.

hear, hear

As always it is the money............and you can bet they`ve already been plying their trade in some local karaoke bar before they came to Pattaya !!

"The bottom line is that if she is over 18, agreements are kept and she is not being forced to do anything against her own free will, then there is nothing to worry about when it comes to the law." - Kathu Police Superintendent Col Grissak Songmoonnak:

http://www.thaivisa....ce-of-thai-law/

yes... with the slight restriction about prostitution establishments.

it is time to eradicate this urban legend about prostitution being illegal in Thailand - It think a police colonel is a qualified source.

• Like 2

Just thinking about it...one would have to be seriously warped to want to sleep with a 16 year old girl here anyway. In the west, 16 can lookl 20 something (often too easily) - here at 16 they look 9!

You would be surprised if you knew how many 16 year olds work in popular bars and from which you think they are of the legal age.

Their age group in the UK are in discos on the pick up. Getting drunk, etc.., a friend ended up in court. The little darling turned up in court in her school uniform.

Officers from the Police Region 2 Child and Women Protection Unit conducted an undercover operation at the Bar located within the complex next to the Lompor Market on Jomtien Second Road opposite Soi 5.

This beer bar complex is brand new, has over 60 bars, all with ladies and operated by the police, no?

If underage girls were being rented out here, the police would know it and most likely 'fining' the bar every month.

I have heard stories of young girls being 'encouraged' by thier families to enter the 'entertainment' industry for the purpose of supporting the family, sometimes a matter of grandma did it, mum did it, now its the daughter's turn.

To clarify a bit, in as far as it is possible.

The law only allows for certain situations/acts to be punishable.The Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996) states that:

"persons who solicit sex "in an open and shameless manner" or "causing nuisance to the public" are subject to a fine of 1,000 Baht" and

"persons mingling in a "prostitution establishment" face a jail term of up to one month and/or a fine of up to 1,000 Baht"

Prostitution is defined as: Any act done to gratify the sexual desire of another in exchange for money or any other benefit. While prostitution itself is clearly defined and considered illegal, no punishments against the act itself are specified. Not for the provider nor for the customer.

The law is specifically geared towards prevention/suppression of the actual soliciting, not the act per se.

The term "prostitution establishment" is not clearly defined in the act, The act does allow for heavy punishment (jail up to 15 years) of owners of such establishments, specifically when underage prostitution is involved. In that case the judicial system can take advantage of the "open" interpretation of "prostitution establishment" to allow for punishment of the owners.

Strangely enough, the "Entertainment Places Act of 1966" does specify and allow for places where services of "sexual nature" (not necessarily the sexual act itself) are being offered, the act specifically differentiates between "non-sexual staff" and so called "service" providers.

It states for example that "staff offering sexual services" should wear a red circular disc with their number, and non sexual staff need to wear a blue disc.

The act does not specifically allow for prostitution, but for example allows a customer to pay a fee for service staff, go to a private room and "bathe" together. For this the establishment needs to obtain the so called "entertainment" license, which is very hard to get, usually only in specified "entertainment area's.

Thanks @Monty for the clarification and the finding of "Entertainment Places Act of 1966" , laziness and flippant remarks are not a great way of communication. Unfortunately, I have seen far too many, in quite a few postings, on here.

Thanks again Monty for a real answer. smile.png

• Like 1

Oh, dear. I guess I've been told!

Lucky for me I don't feel obligated to do anything on this forum other than be reasonably civil and entertain myself. Sometimes (too often) I write way too long posts packed with information that only a few if any enjoy reading and sometimes (for example when I'm on holiday and it's Saturday morning) I can't be bothered to write about something that I've written extensively about over the last two decades.

Sorry it doesn't meet your requirements Psych! (THAT was flippant) :)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 1

As always it is the money............and you can bet they`ve already been plying their trade in some local karaoke bar before they came to Pattaya !!

It is always money...and when the monthly payments arrive back in the village, the money will be spent on whiskey and gambled away on the jungle lottery.

That's what really makes my blood boil...

I just dont get that facet of Thai culture. If I had a young daughter, I would live on the street, and eat cockroaches before I would see her sell her body.

I wouldn't demand that she send me money so that I can get drunk and gamble...

Edited by Phronesis

i am shocked!!!

Yeah you're right, I'm shocked also.

6000 Baht for some sexual services in Pattaya. w00t.gif

"Using a foreign operative who was armed with 6,000 Baht in marked bank notes, he was able to purchase the sexual services of a 16 year old girl. The undercover agent paid 2,000 Baht to the bar, a further 2,000 Baht to the girl and the other 2,000 Baht was used to purchase drinks at the bar."

So the sex part was 'only' 2000 Baht.

Edited by Semper

i am shocked!!!

Using a foreign operative who was armed with 6,000 Baht in marked bank notes, he was able to purchase the sexual services of a 16 year old girl. The undercover agent paid 2,000 Baht to the bar, a further 2,000 Baht to the girl and the other 2,000 Baht was used to purchase drinks at the bar.

6,000Bt. Was this his first offer or did he keep raising the fee until the young girl said yes?

Could this be considered entrapment?

Throwing that kind of money around a beer bar would temp any poor young lady.

Just thinking about it...one would have to be seriously warped to want to sleep with a 16 year old girl here anyway. In the west, 16 can lookl 20 something (often too easily) - here at 16 they look 9!

I slept with lots of 16 year olds

Of course i was 15!!!!

• Like 1

Using a foreign operative who was armed with 6,000 Baht in marked bank notes, he was able to purchase the sexual services of a 16 year old girl. The undercover agent paid 2,000 Baht to the bar, a further 2,000 Baht to the girl and the other 2,000 Baht was used to purchase drinks at the bar.

6,000Bt. Was this his first offer or did he keep raising the fee until the young girl said yes?

Could this be considered entrapment?

Throwing that kind of money around a beer bar would temp any poor young lady.

Did you actually read the second quote - the one that Semper wrote and that explained what happened? rolleyes.gif

Little wonder the place is full of perverts and paedos.

What an enlightened and logical comment that was.

By the way, not sure what constitutes a pervert in your eyes but someone who has sex with a 16 year old may be many things worthy of disdain or disgust but they aren't a pedophile.

Little wonder the place is full of perverts and paedos.

You mean like the US, UK, Australia, Ireland, Belgium and all the other places where there having such issues?

I get your point Baerboxer but I 'll point out that "such issues" are extant in every single country of the world and throughout history - pedophilia is hardly a contemporary phenomena nor one confined to a specific group of countries. It's a tragic and horrifying condition that has always been part of humanity.

....the two girls remain in the care of district welfare officers pending contact with their parents.

Parents are gonna be mighty upset they got caught. sad.png

correct unfortunately ...my mates neighbours in the province just packed their twin daughters off to bangkok to WORK .the older sister already in patts ...the father is a real bludger ....drinks all the sent home money ...tit

To clarify a bit, in as far as it is possible.

The law only allows for certain situations/acts to be punishable.The Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996) states that:

"persons who solicit sex "in an open and shameless manner" or "causing nuisance to the public" are subject to a fine of 1,000 Baht" and

"persons mingling in a "prostitution establishment" face a jail term of up to one month and/or a fine of up to 1,000 Baht"

Prostitution is defined as: Any act done to gratify the sexual desire of another in exchange for money or any other benefit. While prostitution itself is clearly defined and considered illegal, no punishments against the act itself are specified. Not for the provider nor for the customer.

​The law is specifically geared towards prevention/suppression of the actual soliciting, not the act per se.

The term "prostitution establishment" is not clearly defined in the act, The act does allow for heavy punishment (jail up to 15 years) of owners of such establishments, specifically when underage prostitution is involved. In that case the judicial system can take advantage of the "open" interpretation of "prostitution establishment" to allow for punishment of the owners.

Strangely enough, the "Entertainment Places Act of 1966" does specify and allow for places where services of "sexual nature" (not necessarily the sexual act itself) are being offered, the act specifically differentiates between "non-sexual staff" and so called "service" providers.

It states for example that "staff offering sexual services" should wear a red circular disc with their number, and non sexual staff need to wear a blue disc.

The act does not specifically allow for prostitution, but for example allows a customer to pay a fee for service staff, go to a private room and "bathe" together. For this the establishment needs to obtain the so called "entertainment" license, which is very hard to get, usually only in specified "entertainment area's.

Hi Monty

Thank you for trying to explain a bit - maybe I can add some info to your post.

It comes from Wikipedia, where a nitwit kept reverting my edits when I tried to clarify the situation.

He can't give any sources for his baseless affirmations and confuses solicitation with prostitution.

There are details in the "Talk" section of the Wikiedia article.

While prostitution itself is clearly defined and considered illegal,

yes, it is clearly defined, but no, it is not considered illegal in the Law.

There is no Law article or preamble saying that it is wrong to sell one's body in exchange for money.

The term "prostitution establishment" is not clearly defined in the act,

Not so, the act defines:

"prostitution establishment" means a place established for prostitution or in which the prostitution is allowed, and shall include a place used for soliciting or procuring another person for prostitution;

I don't know why some people stay on a position that prostitution is illegal, whereas:

- The Law does not outlaw prostitution

- There are knowledgable Thai persons who commented on prostitution as being legal, there were a series of articles in the Bangkok Post by two lawyers, as well as members of the police force such as the Colonel cited earlier in this thread

- Did you ever hear about anyone sentenced for "prostitution" ?

The current act PREVENTION AND SUPPRESSION OF PROSTITUTION ACT B.E. 2539 (1996)

can be summarized as follows:

2- solicitation is mostly illegal, though it is ok if done discreetly and outside "prostitution establishments"

The "prostitution establishments" are supposedly governed by a Law from 1966, which I haven't been able to find nor in English nor in Thai.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

@manarak

Thanks for that break down and interpretation of prostitution laws in Thailand.

I found some articles relating to "Sex Laws in Thailand Part 2: Laws Regulating Commercial Sex and Entertainment Places", through Google, this could be what Monty is on about. Quite an interesting read.

This link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Thailand, also from Wikipedia, states that the act of prostitution is illegal in Thailand.