Why Do People Use The Word 'partner'?

MrHammer

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my world, "partner" indicates a more committed relationship than "girlfriend" and not as committed as "wife". It's the term I use when referring to my girlfriend of six years. It does not indicate exclusively a same sex relationship. Whoever believes that probably needs to broaden their life experience a little......wai.gif

One thing that is not disputed in Thailand.

Never ask where he meet his partner, girl friend or his wife !!!!!! Very true in Issan. tongue.png

Many people meet their future wife in a bar no matter where in the world.

In the UK I met my wife in a bar ...... she was a farmer.

In Thailand I met my wife on a farm ..... she was a farmer.

Same occupations, different meeting places.

I beginning to suspect I have a 'farm girl' fetish, oh well, Thailand is certainly the place to satisfy that need.

PS

I have never referred to any person as 'my partner'.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

slightly more serious than a girlfriend, slightly less serious than a fiance. If a man uses it to describe his girlfriend, it normally means she is (1) listening and (2) angry with him about something.

I see posters trying to prise the use of 'partner' into an accepted and established structure, the usage of 'partner' as a description of 'romantic interaction' appears to be a contrived cop out, a flaky non descriptive word for a person you are currently 'with'

(...)

Then some languages like German seem to have difficulty with specifying the extent of ones relations using 'freund' or 'freundin', which just means friend and female friend, but where English speakers would just use friend for both sexes if it is non-romantic.

So maybe it comes down to the English language being heavily used by protestant christians with a very strict view of how dating (a word which doesn't even have an equal in many languages) translates into marriage. You're either dating (boyfriend/girlfriend), engaged (fiancee) or married (wife/husband). Although there are words like lover/fling, I don't think they are appropiate in everyday conversation?

While more advanced societies in the aspect of love and lust (Thailand for example) have more words to describe the relations that people can have to each other.

Correct?

The terms in German "Freund/Freundin" translate as gf/bf and mean that you're committed, but it might or might not be on a long term and you're not married. The word "partner" in German referring to "Lebenspartner" = life partner (not sure if that expression exists in English) means a long term relationship w/o marriage, yet the words aren't gender neutrals, as for the word "Partnerin" is the female counterpart. As far as English goes, I've heard people of all orientations using this term to describe their relationship with someone they'd be committed to on a long term (if not for life) but w/o being married or intending to do so. But now as I think about it, the straight couples who used that word were mostly those who in some way went against the grain, for example when there was a huge age difference between them, or when one of them has a disability etc...

slightly more serious than a girlfriend, slightly less serious than a fiance. If a man uses it to describe his girlfriend, it normally means she is (1) listening and (2) angry with him about something.

I see posters trying to prise the use of 'partner' into an accepted and established structure, the usage of 'partner' as a description of 'romantic interaction' appears to be a contrived cop out, a flaky non descriptive word for a person you are currently 'with'

Oh that sounds cool. I should introduce my partner of six years as "this is the girl I am with". And that wouldn't be flaky, nor non-descriptive......

Oh that sounds cool. I should introduce my partner of six years as "this is the girl I am with". And that wouldn't be flaky, nor non-descriptive......

Apparently you have no idea if you would choose that route, not a very bright suggestion at all is it, and further more all conjured out of your own 'imagination', I suggest you stick with partner if 'this is the girl I am with" is the best alternative can come up with... Edited by 473geo

This is my girlfriend, we have been together now 6 years...... or........this is my partner..........which we are been told intimates a long term relationship.......you decide......I know which I prefer, but each to their own I guess.

Sometimes my 'partner' for the night looks like this ... 1028_ext_01_0.jpg

I would have great difficulty however to explain this as my 'significant other' ... biggrin.png

This 'partner' doesnt get jealous if you want another 'partner' or talk back to you and it even wants you to go out and stay out late!

I would have great difficulty however to explain this as my 'significant other' ... biggrin.png

This 'partner' doesnt get jealous if you want another 'partner' or talk back to you and it even wants you to go out and stay out late!

But it can't half give you problems the morning after....

It always goes down easy, and you don't need a shower before you have it.

And when you whisper 'I love you' the previous one doesn't go mad.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I use the word partner because to me, girlfriend makes it sound like we are teenagers. However, I don't think it really matters, it's just a personal thing. It does make me sound a bit gay I have to admit, but as for suggesting a lack of commitment as somebody else said, that's nonsense. Saying that it's about not loving someone enough to marry them is also rubbish...we don't all have the same feelings about institutions such as marriage and there's no need to impose one's own beliefs on others.

Edited by inthepink

The commitment part is how it sounds to your wife, you certainly don't need the paper in Thailand, I happily introduced my wife as my wife long before we completed the paperwork, I would not have ever used the word partner, I think as she was living with me as my wife and mother to my children she might just have been a tad dissappoined to be called partner. Just my opinion. Oh and just as an aside, in working out how to provide for my wife and family shoud I die first, I found if the marriage paperwork is in place it makes things a great deal more secure for her. Commitment you see smile.png

The commitment part is how it sounds to your wife, you certainly don't need the paper in Thailand, I happily introduced my wife as my wife long before we completed the paperwork, I would not have ever used the word partner, I think as she was living with me as my wife and mother to my children she might just have been a tad dissappoined to be called partner. Just my opinion. Oh and just as an aside, in working out how to provide for my wife and family shoud I die first, I found if the marriage paperwork is in place it makes things a great deal more secure for her. Commitment you see smile.png

The legal issues you mention are a good point but my partner (sorry, couldn't resist!) has never expressed any concern about how I refer to her. But to be honest, I don't go around introducing her as my partner, wife, or girlfriend as the people we meet already know us, if that makes sense. What I mean is, I cannot remember a social occasion where it was necessary to explain our relationship. I normally just use her name.

The legal issues you mention are a good point but my partner (sorry, couldn't resist!) has never expressed any concern about how I refer to her. But to be honest, I don't go around introducing her as my partner, wife, or girlfriend as the people we meet already know us, if that makes sense. What I mean is, I cannot remember a social occasion where it was necessary to explain our relationship. I normally just use her name.

I understand what you are saying and among ones social circle of course the name of your wife is used. When I meet people like other europeans on holiday and we make polite conversation, I have always from a very early stage in our relationship proudly introduced my wife as my wife despite not having the paperwork, I think it is this type of situation where 'partner' sounds...well to me....not quite enough, lacking in something. Edited by 473geo

Yes, I can see what you are saying too. The fact that I am quite unsociable means that it hasn't really been something I have thought about much until I read this thread. I'm struggling now to remember when I have actually used the word partner but I know I have in some context because I remember thinking it sounded like I was gay!

.....I think the only time I have used it is in her absence when having a general discussion with somebody I happened to strike up a conversation with at a bar. I don't think I have ever used it in her presence.

Edited by inthepink

As ozziebloke mentioned earlier, in Australia nearly everyone uses the term Partner, unless they are married.

Gf is reserved for teenagers.

Lover was briefly used but just too tacky.

Rarely do you hear 'significant other' just doesn't sound good.

Though my favourite was when I was going out with a very snobbish wannabe hi society girl in Aus.

We were on the way to a party and on the way were having a heated argument about her snobbish attitude and that she should just try and be sociable with people instead of trying to outdo them in everything. We were both pissed off with each other.

So we walk into the party and we go to see one of my friends and she walks up and says.......

'Hi, I'm his cum rag'.

Well didn't that just break the ice for the party, was a great night after I got over the shock. My friend still reminds me of it. :)

• Like 1

Apparently you have no idea if you would choose that route, not a very bright suggestion at all is it, and further more all conjured out of your own 'imagination', I suggest you stick with partner if 'this is the girl I am with" is the best alternative can come up with...

Sorry that was my weak attempt at sarcasm.....An extreme interpretation of your comment seemed to suggest you were recommending referring to one's 'partner' as the girl i am with, which was much better than using the flaky non-descriptive word 'partner'. Oh nevermind......why am I bothering trying to explain.......w00t.gifw00t.gif

your other 'significant other' says, please explain

wait till you return farm

Edited by MissFarmGirl
  • Like 1

I am amazed at how many etymologists we have here. Words have always been interpreted in different ways by folks. My guess is that most here never ever consult the OED and one might think that use of the language is on a 'up to you' basis and I ask why not? I have known three of four people who violently objected to being called a silly bastard although it was clear that no reference to their parentage was intended. Strange that they didn't objected to being called just plain silly.

I am married to my wife and she is also my best and most trusted friend, lover and companion. She is also my partner signifying in my mind that we share everything and make joint decisions. She has taken onboard the concept of not being an individual but one half of a pair. That is not to say that we do not like our own space; for example I will not accompany her on her regular visits to the wat and she has no inclination to trail after me on a golf course. Our close relationship makes us both stronger by our co-operation with each other. We are truly partners but I unfailingly always proudly introduce her to others as my wife indicating that we are a committed couple.

I don't disagree with any who have posted earlier and view the matter of attaching labels to a companion as one of personal inclination and indicative of ones upbringing and education. I don't see it as an absolute and feel there is no right or wrong form of address providing that the other party does not object.

Once at a company function my boss asked me if my female companion was my wife and I crassly replied that she was my mistress. She left the following morning which saved me the job of kicking her out as I had been feeling that our fling had run it's course. smile.png