Bangkok Cops Caught On Camera Extorting Mall Vendor

webfact

Bangkok cops caught on camera allegedly extorting mall vendor

By Coconuts Bangkok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=WXYKkN6FB3M

BANGKOK: -- A Youtube clip of Bangkok police allegedly extorting a cashier for selling counterfeit goods at a mall has evoked angry reactions online.

The clip (ตำรวจหรือโจรเรียกค่าไถ่) was uploaded by Youtube user Mild Pond on Thursday and posted on the Facebook page of Mild Love Jrt, who claims to be the victim.

She says that a copyright owner came to the stall where she was working in a Bangkok mall and found that she was selling fake products. Police then brought her to the station for interrogation.

Mild Love claims that Pol Lt Col Choosak Chankwarng told her at the police station that she was under arrest for conspiring to sell counterfeit goods and had to pay at least THB50,000 bail to go home. [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...ng-mall-vendor/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-01-26

footer_n.gif

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say this had anything to do with extortion because:

1. Like most people on here, I don't speak Thai.

2. Would the cops discuss a bribe when they know they are being videoed? Can't see that myself.

• Like 2

Newly MintedThai post # 11

I don't see anything unlawful going on here, other than the shopkeeper selling fake merchandise.

Read the complete article that that is linked and accompanies the video clip and you might well come to understand the situation fully

• Like 1

Newly MintedThai post # 11

I don't see anything unlawful going on here, other than the shopkeeper selling fake merchandise.

Read the complete article that that is linked and accompanies the video clip and you might well come to understand the situation fully

Read it.

What part is giving you problems, exactly. Looks like "by the book" to me.

It's about time that all guilty parties would be taking responsibility instead of shuffling around the blame. The seller in this case is not only a victim, but also a perpetrator by selling those fake goods in the first place (and being fully aware that they're fake), thus equally guilty as the police trying to extort "bail money". If you're selling fake goods you shouldn't be all too surprised that eventually "someone" is going to take that as a pretext for fleecing you one way or another - and it serves you right.

• Like 2

She's guilty as sin for selling the fake crap - but this answers my amazement when I first got to Thailand as to how they get away with it day after day - and of course it's that the police just take a bribe so they get away with it. The only way this is going to stop is when the US threatens massive penalties so that the authorities finally do something about it.

• Like 1

Smile " You are on Candid Camera "

It is not unusual for police to solicit donations from all vendors, it is not extortion. In Chicago and Cook County they have the Police protection fund. There are dirty cops and bent politicians all over the world, it is a way of life and it will never change. 5 police convicted of murder are released on bail, because they can be trusted, a tourist accused of a crime no bail, tourist can not be trusted. cowboy.gifph34r.png

So her reaction is to blame the cop for extorting her when she was breaking the law herself, pretty bold

Both of them should be arrested

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes..but this is the problem here in Thailand...who ever is wrong thinks they are right while near everyone around her is doing something illegal ( if you go strictly by the book ) while the other vendors and the women complaining would have to pay some sort of "legal" operating fee for selling somewhere or something so paying off a police officer for say 500 baht per month is the same like paying a legal operating fee ...if everyone and everything was legal that is.

Either way if you do not pay money to someone or some entity, legally or illegally, someone is going to come around and ask for some money so you can continue operating there, legally or illegally.

It's about time that all guilty parties would be taking responsibility instead of shuffling around the blame. The seller in this case is not only a victim, but also a perpetrator by selling those fake goods in the first place (and being fully aware that they're fake), thus equally guilty as the police trying to extort "bail money". If you're selling fake goods you shouldn't be all too surprised that eventually "someone" is going to take that as a pretext for fleecing you one way or another - and it serves you right.

Is the software you use on your computer licensed? If are using fake goods and should be punished also. The fake goods would not exist, if there were not buyers My Microsoft 7 is licensed. cowboy.gifph34r.png

• Like 2

Neither the mall operator nor the "product distributor" can simply make a criminal charge go away. Their statements can be entered into the record as witness testimony, but the lady has still been charged with a criminal act which must be defended in Court.

You really need to improve your knowledge of criminal procedure.

Edited by NewlyMintedThai

So her reaction is to blame the cop for extorting her when she was breaking the law herself, pretty bold

Read it all again and get the facts right! w00t.gif

She was wrong in selling counterfeit goods as are many vendors and department stores are in Thailand.

However the police should be beyond reproach, this video proves yet again that the BIB are indeed rotten to the core a cancerous scourge upon the landscape of Thailand.

No wonder so many of these creatures go into politics it is of course the natural course to take for these despicable creatures.

The option to impose one's will on another is an option that position alone wrongly affords all too many individuals. Indeed this option to impose on, rather than work with, this option to impose on without any regard whatsoever for due process, becomes, in the hands of most, a license to harm, if not destroy the careers and lives of others.

http://www.huffingto...-power-corrupts

She was not doing the selling, she was only the cashier. The problem with counterfeit produce had already been resolved and they were waiting for the product to be collected, but the cops jumped in first, seeing some tea money of course. The cops cannot set bail, this has to be done by the court !

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 2

Both the store management and the copyright owner said that she was not involved in the selling of the product.

• Like 1