Wrongful Arrest

johnbarpic

Can anyone give advice on this one wrongful arrest policy in Thailand, My Friend was arrested by police saying that she had been selling drugs by two plain clothes officers they showed her no ID eventually bundled her into a car & took her to the Police station.

Questioned her for over 6 hours making terrifying threats of 30 years in jail, etc etc if she did not sign to confess they planted money I her bag which she knew she did not have in there, strip searched her then decided. Oh very sorry you are not the person we thought ,,, THOUGHT!!! You were very sorry you can go.

She has sustained bruises & cuts where she tried to refuse to go with these unidentified people. Had it been myself I would have fought hard also two guys trying to bundle me into a car!!!!! & we may have all have had more than bruises

This lady is 39 years old & Thailand’s answer to Mother Theresa’s sister. She is now in a very distressed state & terrified to stay alone in the house while her Husband is at work. Is there any process to make a complaint about the treatment of the police. Or is it best to say nothing & try to put it behind her. Thai happened last night at Treppasit market where she was about to set up her stall selling Handmade handbags.

Or is silence the best option??

Before anyone contemplates replying there is more behind the story, or only one side of the story, or any derogatory comment about Thai people please save for another topic.

Stay out of it, you have no idea what is going on. Could be a territorial dispute regarding the stall or 100 other reasons that you don't know about. She and her family are Thai. They will know better than you how to handle this. Maybe they will drop it, maybe they will take action. Up to them

I tend to agree with this.

Stay out of it, you have no idea what is going on. Could be a territorial dispute regarding the stall or 100 other reasons that you don't know about. She and her family are Thai. They will know better than you how to handle this. Maybe they will drop it, maybe they will take action. Up to them

ditto

There is a police complaints authority that SHE and her FAMILY can go to if they desire. Her family DOES NOT include you

Yes. This is the right answer.There is unlikely any monetary compensation but an official apology might be forthcoming. Disciplinary action against the undercover drug squad cops is also unlikely. They act upon tip offs and were doing what they are supposed to do. Mistakes happen though. Just what the alleged planting of money was all about is unclear, however.

1. You as a farang should not get involved. Not because it is dangerous for you, but simply because noone cares about your opinion.

2. The only thing the woman in question can do is to consult a lawyer, who can decide if she has a case or not. If she does, he can take it to court on her behalf.

Superb Advice!!!

There is a police complaints authority that SHE and her FAMILY can go to if they desire. Her family DOES NOT include you

Just like the one that Officially exists in the UK perhaps......!!

OP take it from me that the Police close ranks the World over, but more so in Thailand perhaps where too much unwanted enthusiasm directed against them, can suddenly end in a dark alley......

Stay away from them (Police) and the lady concerned no matter how aggrieved you and she feels.....

Edited by Chivas

+1.