How Come Many Thais Seem To Think Farungs Are Christians?

pxlgirl

All Thais I've talked to so far are much more surprised to hear that I'm not a Christian, than by the fact that I'm an atheist. I was wondering where that comes from. Did some white christian folks try to invade Thailand and force it down their throats? I've seen some Philippino kids running around in BKK and trying to sell their little books and drag others to their "meetings". I sort of feel sorry for those kids being forced to do that, but that's a different can of worms. Yet on the other hand, all farungs I met so far were christians, so another assumption might be the fact that the majority or farungs are christians, which would explain why Thais would think that way?

• Like 1

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's because most people in the world finds westerners complete lack of spirituality disturbing. Like we are living shallow lives, which we are in most cases. So what kind of atheist are you? The informed kind who understands what science can and can't explain or the one who sees atheism as an excuse for moral relativism/nihilism?

• Like 1

I was thinking how come so many falang seem to think most Thais are buddhist?

BTW, did you know most buddhists are aethiests?

What about Karma???

I dont believe any Atheist would believe in Karma...

But I was under the impression that Karma was a pretty standard belief for Buddhists???

It's because most people in the world finds westerners complete lack of spirituality disturbing. Like we are living shallow lives, which we are in most cases. So what kind of atheist are you? The informed kind who understands what science can and can't explain or the one who sees atheism as an excuse for moral relativism/nihilism?

I think I am in the first... Although, I do not believe life has any real point or meaning.... I do not believe thats a bad thing though - It just furthers my belief that life is what WE make it and we are in control over how happy we are and how much 'meaning' our lives have.

Edited by Jigger
  • Like 1

I think I am in the first... Although, I do not believe life has any real point or meaning.... I do not believe thats a bad thing though - It just furthers my belief that life is what WE make it and we are in control over how happy we are and how much 'meaning' our lives have.

It does require a lot more thought as to how once's behaviour affects others. It seems to me that many atheists are in reality just hedonists who dislike the stigma of that label. Of course, a doubting Thomas kind of atheist could call himself an agnostic atheist. A hedonist may just call him/herself a nihilist instead, since that's what most atheists really are.

Karma comes from Hinduism, but like many aspects of Hinduism, it's kind of an "add-on" for Buddhists along with statues of Vishnu, animistic spirit-houses and many other "peripherals" which really historically had nothing to do with Buddhism, some of which Buddha himself would have shunned.

I'm one of the few real Buddhists in Thailand ........ of any race.

I don't know any Thai Buddhists .... do they even exist?

I thought there were several Buddhist directions, Thailand belonging to the 'middle road' faction? Also, I think it's very easy to see the Buddhist influence on just about every part of Thai culture and society, although Buddha himself likely wouldn't have liked being deified and used as a spirit to pray to.

Karma comes from Hinduism, but like many aspects of Hinduism, it's kind of an "add-on" for Buddhists along with statues of Vishnu, animistic spirit-houses and many other "peripherals" which really historically had nothing to do with Buddhism, some of which Buddha himself would have shunned.

Hmm.. I always though Karma was in opposition to the Hindu caste system?

So you have encountered spiritualism in thai buddhism?

My impression is that thai buddhism is only about money.

As a matter of fact, i consider the absence of spiritualism in thailand to be my biggest disappointment here.

Well, I mostly regret the lack of intellectualism here and probably also spiritualism, but I can't help but feel that Thais in generally have a better connection to life, family and death than westerners. Maybe it's more of a confucianistic influence though.

I'm one of the few real Buddhists in Thailand ........ of any race.

I don't know any Thai Buddhists .... do they even exist?

I thought there were several Buddhist directions, Thailand belonging to the 'middle road' faction? Also, I think it's very easy to see the Buddhist influence on just about every part of Thai culture and society, although Buddha himself likely wouldn't have liked being deified and used as a spirit to pray to.

The buddhist influence on just about every part of thai culture?

Sure.

With some exeptions, such as:

Blatant materialism.

Killing and eating animals.

Face.

Corruption.

Respect based on power.

• Like 1

There are about 1,000 Thai Christians spread among 4-5 churches in our mid-sized Isaan city. Virtually every Buddhist Thai I meet is either shocked at that number or simply doesn't believe it. "If you're Thai, you're Buddhist," is the prevailing stereotype in Thailand. "Farangs" are stereotyped just as well.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

Back to the original question... why do thais assume that farangs are christians?

Perhaps the thai educational system is not quite 21th centurish?

My wife was very surprised to hear that back home at school i learned about other religions then christianity.

She still does not believe that atheist humanism is a subject at belgian schools!

• Like 1

7 years here and I've never once been asked about my religion or had it referred to.

Is it mainly bargirls and the like asking about it? Over a game of connect 4?

bargirls asking questions about religion?

what is your point?

and do explain the 'connect 4' part of your post?

Edited by nidieunimaitre

All farangs speak farangese and are Christian.

I thought everybody knew that?

In Pattaya the Thais now are telling me that the farangs all speak Russian and live on pelmeni and red soup. Now I'm confused! Edited by Jingthing

7 years here and I've never once been asked about my religion or had it referred to.

what is your point?

You sound demanding.

Christian per chance?

• Like 1

All farangs speak farangese and are Christian.

I thought everybody knew that?

In Pattaya the Thais now are telling me that the farangs all speak Russian and live on pelmeni and red soup. Now I'm confused!

so your other tread was about not getting a pelmeni in your red soup?

what is your point?

You sound demanding.

Christian per chance?

I have many vices, but being a christian is not one of them.

Now i demand an explanation on the "demanding" part of your post