What Is The Proper U-Turn Etiquette

Martinpeter

Hi there folks/.

Just wondering about U-turns maneuvers?

Who has the legal right of way? the main road driver or the person making the U-Turn? in Thailand,

i begin to wonder?

After a few years of driving here, still don't get the sense of some drivers attempting this maneuver? cutting up traffic, to their best interest!

What are the traffic laws regarding this if it causes an accident? who is at fault? for insurance purposes as well?

never really found an answer? glad i have in car video now? shows some interesting situations on Phetkasem Road, not only U-turn then crossing 3 lanes of traffic quickly to get into a side soi! or Big C.

Cheers - thanks for your replies.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go like hell when you get the chance...

lol I did this a few days ago, through a greasy puddle of water and in an instant the ass kicked out and I was into the car next to me...was kinda hairy to be across 3 lanes of highway sideways with traffic coming whilst untangling bent panels as I hit reverse.

To the OP, yes I was in the wrong and admitted as such when the insurance man arrived.

Edited by Spoonman

No idea what the law is, just be careful, as Farang you tend to be the guilty one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is BS, as is the earlier answer indicating the same. The person to blame according to the law is the one at fault. Just make sure you do involve your insurance guy.

• Like 1

Ok/. thanks interesting answers so far/. clap2.gif

Let's take another situation!

I am the one making the U-Turn (waiting) and slowly creeping out into the oncoming traffic - then a driver flashes his lights at me?

I keep pulling out and he hits me/ who is at fault? him/me (because he warned me not to pull out) by flashing his lights at me?

there are endless situations like this/.

Think it's time to upgrade car for a Tank! maybe!

thanks in advance thumbsup.gif

cheers

I am the one making the U-Turn (waiting) and slowly creeping out into the oncoming traffic - then a driver flashes his lights at me?

I keep pulling out and he hits me/ who is at fault? him/me (because he warned me not to pull out) by flashing his lights at me?

The "proper" etiquette, initially, is as you describe. Gradually pull out into oncoming traffic until you choke off the right of way, and then complete your u-turn. The "flashing light" thing is usually a bluff.

If they hit you, the traffic on the main road is at fault, because the police will tell them they should always drive in a manner that will allow them to stop for any unexpected situation. This is not necessarily the law. This is how it works out in reality.

My advice? Don't choke off the traffic like the Thai do, and don't play chicken with the occasional "flasher" who may not be bluffing. Why? You may end up "dead right." And as has been said many times before on this thread and on other threads, you, as the foreigner will usually be treated with less fairness than a national.

cheers

You pulled out into oncoming traffic, you will be at fault, ask your insurance company if you do not believe me.

• Like 1

cheers

Of course you're at fault, you're pulling into oncoming traffic, so have to wait for the road to be clear. Whether or not he flashes his lights is immaterial.

• Like 2

cheers

Of course you're at fault, you're pulling into oncoming traffic, so have to wait for the road to be clear. Whether or not he flashes his lights is immaterial.

If you've got the balls to pull out into oncoming traffic, go ahead, but be prepared to face up to the consequences if it all goes pear shaped wink.png

cheers

If you've got the balls to pull out into oncoming traffic, go ahead, but be prepared to face up to the consequences if it all goes pear shaped wink.png

...or you may end up dead tongue.png

Been driving many years in Thailand and all over the country. It's the same crap everywhere (*outside major cities like Bangkok). People who are attempting a U-turn, usually see fit to create 2 or even 3 turning lanes, thereby dangerously taking away the view of the first (correct and legal) turning car, creating a situation where the original turning car has to gamble that the others turning are not turning in death-creating error. In addition, these extra vehicles in forced extra turn lanes thereupon choke off the fast lane in which they were driving, making those who are coming fast behind swerve at the last minute to avoid them and move into the slow lane....And,... as said earlier, the turning cars often creep dangerously forward, not only throwing off oncoming drivers who may be flashing their brights or not, and eventually again, jamming, again, the fast lane in the opposite direction, causing faster drivers to do the same crap as on the other side.

I'll never understand why they have such horrible, horrible U-turn etiquette (dare I use that word?), nor have I ever had a Thai explain to me the reasoning. As far as who would get the blame in an accident? who knows?

I do know that I've learned to anticipate the worst, and it usually happens, and I suppose that is what Thais think too.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

cheers

...or you may end up dead tongue.png

As I said, "be prepared to face up to the consequences" w00t.gif

If you are in a rear wheel manual drive pick up, come to a fully stop, give it some revs, dump the clutch and slid around giving plenty of opposite lock!

I know its childish, but its just one of those things I cant grow out of.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Traffic going on the main road has right of way.

although, the translation by the authorities seems to be a little fluid.

Only Fluid when the entering vehical doesn't even look at the main road and just drives out at you. Sometimes I wish I was in a BIG truck and just run em over, they really are twits. sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

If you think U-turns are bad, try negotiating a roundabout here! Is the rule different from everywhere else in the world? I thought traffic on the roundabout has right of way.

They aren't in the test if you can call it that apparently so if there is a rule it doesn't get learnt. Or did every Thai that told me that not remember learning it while guessing at the test.

Proper etiquette is, drive untill the middle of the first drive lane, then stop.

Very important that you come to a complete stand still in the middle of the lane, otherwise not a chance you obstruct oncoming traffic.

Also recommended is that you always go right away for the outer drive lane, but slowly and edgeway, don't speed up or go straight ahead, and for sure don't make the mistake to stay on the inner lane untill traffic has passed as that would have no effect.

Go like hell when you get the chance...

lol I did this a few days ago, through a greasy puddle of water and in an instant the ass kicked out and I was into the car next to me...was kinda hairy to be across 3 lanes of highway sideways with traffic coming whilst untangling bent panels as I hit reverse.

To the OP, yes I was in the wrong and admitted as such when the insurance man arrived.

555 w00t.gif FWD car would never do that tongue.png biggrin.png......

Been driving many years in Thailand and all over the country. It's the same crap everywhere (*outside major cities like Bangkok). People who are attempting a U-turn, usually see fit to create 2 or even 3 turning lanes.

If I am in a shitty mood, I do let all the cars on the correct turning lane pass, but stop so close that second or third lane cannot.

This is in the hope to edjucate them, despite some concern that one day someone will pull a gun....

Been driving many years in Thailand and all over the country. It's the same crap everywhere (*outside major cities like Bangkok). People who are attempting a U-turn, usually see fit to create 2 or even 3 turning lanes.

If I am in a shitty mood, I do let all the cars on the correct turning lane pass, but stop so close that second or third lane cannot.

This is in the hope to edjucate them, despite some concern that one day someone will pull a gun....

Apart from the annoyance of it all, the most dangerous part, IMO, is that if you are correctly attempting a U-turn, and a tall truck comes up and blocks your way, then proceeds, and you follow, you are putting your life in the hands of the maybe M-150 fueled idiot who may be, and often is, making a wrong decision. Could cost you your life. If you don't follow the idiot, people behind you get mad, but I don't follow anybody I don't trust. I wait for a clear view if the driver seems sketchy.