What Is The Proper U-Turn Etiquette

Martinpeter

slowly creeping out on a u turn despite oncoming traffic

on coming traffic sees you creeping out, flash instead of slowing down

continue creeping out despite being flashed

bang!

who is wrong? certainly not the poor bloke with his entire family on his wave right behind the collusion

I recall being in the Pattaya - Bangkok bus some 15 years ago when they still drive through all the cities instead of taking the highway.

I'm sitting in the middle of the last row, so I can look straight through the windshield.

At one point somewhere between Sriracha and Chonburi a pick up with people in the trunk is making a u-turn bet get's stalled in the middle of the road for some reason.

The bus is still a few hundred meters away from the pick up, but makes no attempt to slow down, I assume he must been flashing his lights at that time, when comes closer he still doesn't slow down but start blowing his horn.

When he reaches the point where the pick up was stalled, the pick is actually still there, and the bus crashes into it and actually overturns it.

I'm sure there were a few deaths in the back of the pick up and our bus has a big hole in the windshield and every ones has to wait for another bus to continue the trip.

I don't know if de driver named Spoonman. biggrin.png

...now,if it comes to the recollections...it was almost at the same spot ,but 12 years ago....the motorbike with the side car was making a U-turn and it broke down in half(!!)...so it could not move out of the way the bus I was in...well,the driver did not have time to flush lights ,but hit the horn...and brakes as well...we stopped few inches off this poor guy in the bike.......

.....I was going to BKK,but I thought it will be wise to get out of the bus and give thanks to God,since this happened in Sriracha,right in front of the Catholic School ...smile.png

Edited by funcat

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bang!

who is wrong? certainly not the poor bloke with his entire family on his wave right behind the collusion

I recall being in the Pattaya - Bangkok bus some 15 years ago when they still drive through all the cities instead of taking the highway.

I'm sitting in the middle of the last row, so I can look straight through the windshield.

At one point somewhere between Sriracha and Chonburi a pick up with people in the trunk is making a u-turn bet get's stalled in the middle of the road for some reason.

The bus is still a few hundred meters away from the pick up, but makes no attempt to slow down, I assume he must been flashing his lights at that time, when comes closer he still doesn't slow down but start blowing his horn.

When he reaches the point where the pick up was stalled, the pick is actually still there, and the bus crashes into it and actually overturns it.

I'm sure there were a few deaths in the back of the pick up and our bus has a big hole in the windshield and every ones has to wait for another bus to continue the trip.

Thats awesome, I need to buy that driver a beer.

You like to buy beers for premeditated murderers ?

bang!

Thats awesome, I need to buy that driver a beer.

You like to buy beers for premeditated murderers ?

Are you saying Somchai left his house that morning with the intent to run into a a clueless idiot and kill him, I best be buying Somchai the whole box of beers not just a couple.

No, I'm saying that the bus was still a few hundred meters away from the truck when he started flasing his lights and blowing his horn, so he could still have stopped in a safe way.

Yet he didn't even attempt to slow down for which was a truck with several human lifes inside, who was trapped in de middle of the road for reasons beyond his willingness.

So yes he killed those people with intend.

Now stop profiling yourself as a tough guy who runs at full speed into other cars, even if they are easily to avoid, if they dare to make a minor mistake.

Because real tough guy's are not scared to ride a bike they recently purchased, as you have shown in your other thread.

But NOBODY driving in Thailand knows anything about defensive driving which is what you are referring to. In your homeland, most everyone will slow down when they see the road ahead isn't clear. However, in LOS, the preferred method is to 'shoot the gap'. Flashing the lights and tootling on horns are for the gap-shooting amateurs. The consummate, professional gap-shooter blows silently through the gap, letting only the air blast speak of his prowess. After a few years, foreigners get the hang of it too, especially foreign Fortuner drivers.

Enjoy the legal battles as a foreigner living in Thailand. Remember, they won't follow the law. They'll follow convention. And convention says that you will be faulted. Should probably pack up and go home now before you kill someone and face the music.

I always ensure Iam not at fault and to date the insurance company has agreed 100%.

And how many U-turners have you T-boned while with this insurance company (as you have so arrogantly blustered about what you would do, in your earlier posts)?

Enjoy the legal battles as a foreigner living in Thailand. Remember, they won't follow the law. They'll follow convention. And convention says that you will be faulted. Should probably pack up and go home now before you kill someone and face the music.

I always ensure Iam not at fault and to date the insurance company has agreed 100%.

And how many U-turners have you T-boned while with this insurance company (as you have so arrogantly blustered about what you would do, in your earlier posts)?

Only the one, but my insurance did not pay to repair my vehicle as I was not in the wrong.

Only the one, but my insurance did not pay to repair my vehicle as I was not in the wrong.

Hmmmm. You were not at fault, but insurance denied benefits. I call that a mixed-message. wink.png

• Like 1

Hmmmm. You were not at fault, but insurance denied benefits. I call that a mixed-message. wink.png

On the contrary, very clear message: he was not at fault, so not his insurance but the insurance of the guilty party paid for his repair.

On the contrary, very clear message: he was not at fault, so not his insurance but the insurance of the guilty party paid for his repair.

Perhaps different but in UK your insurance, if fully comprehensive, pays for all your repairs and they claim the cash back from the guy at fault.

Perhaps different but in UK your insurance, if fully comprehensive, pays for all your repairs and they claim the cash back from the guy at fault.

Maybe that's what they did (I did not actually ask to see the paper trail for the claim), either way the coin for repairs came from the guilty parties insurance company.

I presume here it to be the same, but that is a detail, only important because the different insurance companies may use different garages, and I would presume he communicated with his company who told him where to go.

But that is a detail, the intent of the post was clear.

I wonder if any Thai understand the concept of legal right of way the way people are used to in most ohter parts in the world. After all my years I only see a few things that are commonly accepted here :

1. ... right of way ... you just claim it...

2. ... the bigger your car is, the more right of way you're likely to have ....

I wonder if any Thai understand the concept of legal right of way the way people are used to in most ohter parts in the world. After all my years I only see a few things that are commonly accepted here :

1. ... right of way ... you just claim it...

2. ... the bigger your car is, the more right of way you're likely to have ....

Exactly. Thais are only concerned with the 1-meter space in front of their vehicle. If it's empty--fill it! Regardless of anything happening outside that 1-meter bubble. It's a mindset that's baffling, but very real. You best be aware of the mindset before you get out on the road.

If you think U-turns are bad, try negotiating a roundabout here! Is the rule different from everywhere else in the world? I thought traffic on the roundabout has right of way.

It has. And it differs from the basic rules of yield which are that you should yield to traffic coming from your left. This is the law, which of course almost no thai has a clue about. And if figures if you think about a country with righthand traffic where you have to y ield to traffic from your right.

Been driving many years in Thailand and all over the country. It's the same crap everywhere (*outside major cities like Bangkok). People who are attempting a U-turn, usually see fit to create 2 or even 3 turning lanes.

If I am in a shitty mood, I do let all the cars on the correct turning lane pass, but stop so close that second or third lane cannot.

This is in the hope to edjucate them, despite some concern that one day someone will pull a gun....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You want to educate thais?? You are joking, right?

U turn, traffic lights, roundabout, straight road....

It doesn't matter what the situation, the roads are a nightmare and the majority of drivers are muppets..

Unfortunately it gets pased down the generations, so looks like it will not improve for a long time yet !!

Muppets

You have something against Fozzie Bear?

Pull out in front of me and I reckon you will be feeling the brunt of it more than me, in a straight line seat belts and airbags are very effective but when I plow into your passenger door at 100km/h both your seatbelt and airbags will do <deleted> all to protect you, assuming you live I wish you all the best on learning to walk again..... will give you plenty of time to think if playing chicken was the right thing to do.

I reckon you should not be allowed to drive a car.

I reckon people should not be idiots by playing chicken in a game they have no possibility of winning.

Ok, for all the thai-bashing I habitually read here, I found at least one farang who is dumber than them. You do not play with lives, and it is not a question of playing chicken... Just some courtesy and cautionary behavior. I believe you are master in none of the two arts.

Having such an aggressive attitude is why people die every day without necessity.

Courtesy and caution work both ways. And if one does not adhere to it, neither will the other. This is Thailand, country of the self-centered and where the majority never rise above the mental capacity of retarded 13-yearolds.

Ok, for all the thai-bashing I habitually read here, I found at least one farang who is dumber than them. You do not play with lives, and it is not a question of playing chicken... Just some courtesy and cautionary behavior. I believe you are master in none of the two arts.

Having such an aggressive attitude is why people die every day without necessity.

Courtesy and caution work both ways. And if one does not adhere to it, neither will the other. This is Thailand, country of the self-centered and where the majority never rise above the mental capacity of retarded 13-yearolds.

I can count to potato.

Edited by Spoonman

I take it you mean that you should not extend courtesy, or exercise caution either?

Just as a sidenote, for having been to a truly reckless country in terms of driving (Pakistan), I swore I would never ever complain of Thai drivers thereafter. As bad as it can be, it will never be as bad as there!

• Like 1

There are many good drivers amongst the Thais, if you let them chauffeur you around, they don't do the old white knuckle thing when they get their lives endangered, they think it is normal and that the fact that they bought amulets at the last traffic junction will protect them, after all they made merit at the temple recently. I have to agree about Pakistan, the guys there don't seem to want to kill you, they want to kill you.

This might help. I was parked two drunk Thai men on a Honda smashed into my car causing a great deal of damage to them and both vehicles. The next day at the police station the family of the poor men came and asked if I would pay for the emergency operation for one as they had no money. The estimate for repairs to my new car over 30 grand. Did I pay no I would not. So the police asked me very nicely if I would sign to say I was part to blame (I was assured it was a small matter and no come back for me) so the lads could get the government insurance to cover the private hospital bill then he could be taken to a government hospital to recover.I did sign but I was not very happy about doing this.

This might help. I was parked two drunk Thai men on a Honda smashed into my car causing a great deal of damage to them and both vehicles. The next day at the police station the family of the poor men came and asked if I would pay for the emergency operation for one as they had no money. The estimate for repairs to my new car over 30 grand. Did I pay no I would not. So the police asked me very nicely if I would sign to say I was part to blame (I was assured it was a small matter and no come back for me) so the lads could get the government insurance to cover the private hospital bill then he could be taken to a government hospital to recover.I did sign but I was not very happy about doing this.

...that's funny...firstly I thought,that you copy&paste my story,which I've posted some time ago in here...almost exactly the same!...and one of those guys who hit my parked car,actually have said to the BIB,that we hit them....even the BIB laughed smile.png ...what a country!! cheesy.gif

Been driving many years in Thailand and all over the country. It's the same crap everywhere (*outside major cities like Bangkok). People who are attempting a U-turn, usually see fit to create 2 or even 3 turning lanes.

If I am in a shitty mood, I do let all the cars on the correct turning lane pass, but stop so close that second or third lane cannot.

This is in the hope to edjucate them, despite some concern that one day someone will pull a gun....

You want to educate thais?? You are joking, right?

Only when I am in a bad mood. All reasoning disappears....:rolleyes:

Pull out in front of me and I reckon you will be feeling the brunt of it more than me, in a straight line seat belts and airbags are very effective but when I plow into your passenger door at 100km/h both your seatbelt and airbags will do <deleted> all to protect you, assuming you live I wish you all the best on learning to walk again..... will give you plenty of time to think if playing chicken was the right thing to do.

I reckon you should not be allowed to drive a car.

I reckon people should not be idiots by playing chicken in a game they have no possibility of winning.