What Is The Proper U-Turn Etiquette

Martinpeter

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are both at fault. The vios for using the outside lane, the bus for driving in to him.

Being cought in a ridiculous position does not give the bus the right to drive into the vios.

I see the same thing almost every week. Scene looks so familiar (including even the insurance guy) that I have to ask, where was it taken?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They are both at fault. The vios for using the outside lane, the bus for driving in to him.

Being cought in a ridiculous position does not give the bus the right to drive into the vios.

I see the same thing almost every week. Scene looks so familiar (including even the insurance guy) that I have to ask, where was it taken?

CM,Ring Rd.....for me it almost looked like,that the Vios was able to actually stop,but the bus hit it while turning to close (minor damage and no skid marks).....

BTW,driving on the outside lane it's not a crime inside the city limits,isn't it?...specially if you see a big bus on your left smile.png

How on earth do you come to the conclusion the bus ran into the car ?

I see exactly the same picture about once a week. What typically happens is that the car is on the second lane to the right, trying to squeeze into the u-turn, driving around the others. This happens often when the u-turn has a long waiting line. Many drivers think it is normal to drive around the other waiting cars.

next comes the bus, going to the far left, to manage his larger turning circle.

The bus, whilst turning, looks more to his left to check for oncoming traffic than to his right.

the car is by now half way into the u-turn. That is when and how I see these type of accidents.

For this particular one, I have no idea, as I have not seen it. Position of the car however makes me GUESS that is what happened.

I have never seen a car driving into a slow ubturning bus, although that might happen too. But then it would be more of a front to side impact than a nipped left front corner.

I see the skid marks in pic one and read it as the vios locked the brakes up and ran into the bus.

...look closer at pic 1,the skid marks are from Jazz(?),which was fortunately not involved in this accident....for me it is clear,that the bus caused the accident,by starting it's U-turn without having a clear path...

...no skid marks behind Vios(pic2-3)...

Edited by funcat

I see the skid marks in pic one and read it as the vios locked the brakes up and ran into the bus.

...look closer at pic 1,the skid marks are from Jazz(?),which was fortunately not involved in this accident....for me it is clear,that the bus caused the accident,by starting it's U-turn without having a clear path...

I agree with that except that...The Vios is attempting to u-turn from the outside lane, which again, is one of my biggest complaints in Thailand. Not sure in Thailand because almost everyone does it, but in the west, that Vios would also be cited for improper U-turn.

I agree with that except that...The Vios is attempting to u-turn from the outside lane, which again, is one of my biggest complaints in Thailand. Not sure in Thailand because almost everyone does it, but in the west, that Vios would also be cited for improper U-turn.

...or Vios was actually going strait and was cut off by the bus?

• Like 1

...or Vios was actually going strait and was cut off by the bus?

We both missed our calling in life - should have been insurance adjusters or investigators. wink.png

That is what I speculated from the beginning. Both get the blame.

Another thing, don't both cars, Vios as well as Jazz have an ABS? Would that not cut in and cause somewhat intermitted skid marks? Anybody knows?

It has been years that I watched CSI....

That is what I speculated from the beginning. Both get the blame.

Another thing, don't both cars, Vios as well as Jazz have an ABS? Would that not cut in and cause somewhat intermitted skid marks? Anybody knows?

It has been years that I watched CSI....

I guess ABS would not cause any skid marks as its role is to unblock the wheels.

I clearly notice 3 skid marks on the road, so I guess the Jazz must have a third wheel mounted in the middle smile.png

If you take an even closer look you can see that the far right skid mark is right behind the frontwheel of the Jazz, while the far left mark doesn't match with the left wheel.

So my opinion is that at least 2, if not all three, of the skid marks are from other cars.

Edited by jbrain

I clearly notice 3 skid marks on the road, so I guess the Jazz must have a third wheel mounted in the middle smile.png

If you take an even closer look you can see that the far right skid mark is right behind the frontwheel of the Jazz, while the far left mark doesn't match with the left wheel.

So my opinion is that at least 2, if not all three, of the skid marks are from other cars.

Are you suggesting that a similar accidents could off happened there before?....no laugh.png

Are you suggesting that a similar accidents could off happened there before?....no laugh.png

I agree, looks like the marks are from before.

Most times you need to break abruptly on that particular lane is not because of a bus making a wide turn, but because of some idiot making a u- turn from the other side, blocking your lane at least half way, and you cant evade left, because there is another car...