Cheapest Or Best Value Pickup Truck In Thailand At The Moment?

bombis

The only Suzuki Carry that I see on the official Suzuki Thailand website is a 1600cc engine Carry with 90hp.

Surely not the fastest thing but enough for most work duties.

The links you posted above...660cc, that sounds like not enough for even medium heavy duty work. My motorbike is more powerful than that.

660cc, that sounds like not enough for even medium heavy duty work. My motorbike is more powerful than that.

Many TukTuks have only a 350 cc, they appear to move well even when fully loaded..

Many cars and Vans here with the 660 cc engine, at least 4 different Honda's one being a Sports car........ Cars and Vans from Daihatsu, even the Copen which is a sports car.. even that Mini 4x4 look Pajero have 660 cc, and well as 1100 cc engines......... No idea what the new Daihatsu van badged Toyota has. [smaller than the Toyota Sparky]

Seen a few here the Tata Nano, that is 625 cc..... The Toyota Yaris called Vitz in Japan appears fine with the 660 cc engine... then something to do with Tax lots of cars in Japan have 660 or 800 cc engines.. UK has the Mondeo [next class up to the Focus] with 1000 cc engines..

Have been looking last few weeks as looking for a small Van, appear good reports on the 660 cc engines, even going back 10 years or more..

I love the quote: No one cares if you have a V12 or a 660cc engine in traffic.

From my Motor Show visit in Dec...

I quite like the wee pickups from China at summit like 269,000 Bt,full a/c and NGV as standard....but ??...Thai say look funny......

post-13-0-07441900-1359442438_thumb.jpg

I think it was a stroke of genius that DF came up with a front end design that hints at the vehicle being somehow related to a late 80's early 90's BMW.

Am I laying on the sarcasm a little to thick? biggrin.png

With leaps in technology and even bigger leaps in original design and an even bigger leap at higher quality I can see DF as being a 2rd rate auto builder within the next 10 years.

But that won't matter to a lot of people as their only interested in investing a small amount of money for a mini shopping cart which has 4 wheels and air-con.

But that won't matter to a lot of people as their only interested in investing a small amount of money for a mini shopping cart which has 4 wheels and air-con.

The DFM's are built to a price to attract SME fleet buyers (and it works).. I can't imagine buying one for private use though..

I passed a Tata Ace today and had a closer look. What I didn't realize before is the tray size. Its quite a bit longer than any pickup or thw Carry. Close to 3 meters which really puts it in a bit different class. The engine I looked yp has 103 hp which should be enough

So considering thw size advantage and 359000 price actually seems to be a better deal as I thought before.

@IMHO, you mentioned before you would never buy a Tata. Why? I would think for this kind if vehicle should be OK?

I passed a Tata Ace today and had a closer look. What I didn't realize before is the tray size. Its quite a bit longer than any pickup or thw Carry. Close to 3 meters which really puts it in a bit different class. The engine I looked yp has 103 hp which should be enough

So considering thw size advantage and 359000 price actually seems to be a better deal as I thought before.

@IMHO, you mentioned before you would never buy a Tata. Why? I would think for this kind if vehicle should be OK?

I had a look at the Tata website. The wheels on the Ace are a bit small don't you think?

I had a look at the Tata website. The wheels on the Ace are a bit small don't you think?

Never noticed so went to Tata website 5J x 14 with 165x14 tyres, ......went to Toyota website, Single cab Vigo..... 5.5x14 J with 195x14 tyres....and then to Mitz.Single cab Triton 175 x 15,

So not sure why they are too small ? Rims ½ " narrower then a Vigo Base model, after all it is sold as a Tata City Giant.. not for doing 100 + kmh over long distance.

Edit: As I remember the Mini Cooper S had 145x10 Tyres, and often travelled 4 up for long distance

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

Crash Safety (lack of). There's plenty of 4-star choices in this range...

Odd, is the one in Thailand different ?

Most places give it one of best, or best in class for Crash safety............ For safety, there are 4-channel ABS with EBD, disc brakes on all wheels, In an event of a crash, all steel strong shell and the Inertia Switch automatically cuts off the fuel.

In Safety it appear to out perform almost any other small truck... but this is Thailand maybe is different than the ones sold in Indonesia UK, Spain, Japan, India... I have No idea.

Edit: found the spec on Thai one YES is different,,,,,,,,, rear Drum Break with LSPV Valves.. Appears they have side impact Bars, Front impact crumple zone...... Like many other Thai cars/trucks, forget safety far more important is price.

Edited by ignis

Crash Safety (lack of). There's plenty of 4-star choices in this range...

Odd, is the one in Thailand different ?

Most places give it one of best, or best in class for Crash safety............ For safety, there are 4-channel ABS with EBD, disc brakes on all wheels, In an event of a crash, all steel strong shell and the Inertia Switch automatically cuts off the fuel.

In Safety it appear to out perform almost any other small truck... but this is Thailand maybe is different than the ones sold in Indonesia UK, Spain, Japan, India... I have No idea.

Edit: found the spec on Thai one YES is different,,,,,,,,, rear Drum Break with LSPV Valves.. Appears they have side impact Bars, Front impact crumple zone...... Like many other Thai cars/trucks, forget safety far more important is price.

I'm referring specifically to physical crash safety - i.e. the ability of the car to absorb an impact instead of it's passengers, and for people to be able to get out of the crashed vehicle without a rescue crew and cutting tools... There's a reason Tata haven't submitted the Ace or Xenon for any of the various NCAP tests wink.png

There's other options mentioned in this thread that are world class in this respect - which is why I would instantly dismiss the Tata and DFM off-hand.

Edited by IMHO

• 7 months later...

post-13-0-62071300-1379781658_thumb.jpg[attapost-13-0-56305200-1379781875_thumb.jpgchment=233305:2013-09-04 18.09.31.jpg]

Bit of an UPDATE...FIO..

Picked up a new KARRY a couple of weeks ago and its a wee cracker.

Chinese job and have been told by agents that we have the FIRST one imported to Chiang Mai.and must admit havnt seen any others on the road yet.

Everywhere we go..its same question...what,where and Torai krup...?

1.1 Engine runs on Benzine (start up) and LPG.as normal.

Wiffee negot price and recon she got at least 10 % off ...pioneers ...yes...with usual xtras..tints,DVD player,electric windows,sat nav,security system.good a/con.. etc...

No red plates yet as CM has run out.....so give us a wave...etc...You saw it first here..

Recon it can take a load of 1000 Kilos ...but only on the level...tried...uphill get the neighbours out...so sussed burt MPR.....

Zooom....

O Yea Price ...song loy gow sip pun Bt....

post-13-0-24325000-1379781773_thumb.jpg

Bit of an UPDATE...FIO..

Picked up a new KARRY a couple of weeks ago and its a wee cracker.

Chinese job and have been told by agents that we have the FIRST one imported to Chiang Mai.and must admit havnt seen any others on the road yet.

Everywhere we go..its same question...what,where and Torai krup...?

1.1 Engine runs on Benzine (start up) and LPG.as normal.

Wiffee negot price and recon she got at least 10 % off ...pioneers ...yes...with usual xtras..tints,DVD player,electric windows,sat nav,security system.good a/con.. etc...

No red plates yet as CM has run out.....so give us a wave...etc...You saw it first here..

Recon it can take a load of 1000 Kilos ...but only on the level...tried...uphill get the neighbours out...so sussed burt MPR.....

Zooom....

O Yea Price ...song loy gow sip pun Bt....

The topic my man says pick-up truck, I consider yours as a small truck so you are off topicbiggrin.png

How much was it, in English please?

MKJai...when is a pick up-truck.... not a pick up truck...?

Just heard that our red plates may be ready which means we can then apply for the Green Ones which are meant for......ups.

I want the ones with the pandas

Our Hilux has the black numbers (since having 4 doors) is if course classed as a normal car...so technically its not a....... up

anyway...

Karry...........Bt 290,000.................jao

Edited by Rinrada
  • Like 1

The only Suzuki Carry that I see on the official Suzuki Thailand website is a 1600cc engine Carry with 90hp.

Surely not the fastest thing but enough for most work duties.

The links you posted above...660cc, that sounds like not enough for even medium heavy duty work. My motorbike is more powerful than that.

The few suzuki carries I've seen have had nutter drivers...I think they probably don't weigh much so they move along nicely.

Karry...........Bt 290,000.................jao

Song saen gao muen baht.

totster smile.png

Totster...You are of course quite correct...R...

.incid wiffee has ordered a Quad Bike which arrives tomorrow.......zoom ..zoom.....

Hope it lasts longer than my fake Honda lawnmower, "made in China".

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We have just spent a couple of days re-clearing some upland hill locations and had the tractors,back hoe and trucks in doing the road,new drains etc.but its still a bit too steep for driving up even on a motorbike/mo-ped so hopefully the quad will suffice....

..don't know...its all a learning curve.

Next year we are looking at chickens/ducks on the hill but I recon there room for king Eddies on top.......chips tae go....

Anyway wiffee wanted the quad so as you suggested if it don't last... we can use it to cut the grass.