Cheapest Or Best Value Pickup Truck In Thailand At The Moment?

bombis

1. What is the cheapest/best value pickup truck in Thailand money can buy?

2. And what is the cheapest Diesel engine pickup truck?

Im not looking for any "space cabs" or other "specials" that reduce the space available in the back,

just a simple 2-seater pickup workhorse.

Thanks.

Edited by bombis

thanks. Wasnt aware the triton is this cheap.

For the Suzuki Carry that you mean, its 357000 last time I checked....I also like that one and was thinking how much more are pickup trucks like the Triton.

The 400000 Triton is not a Diesel engine I assume?

Cheapest and best value not necessarily the same. The OP does not say new or used but new are generally better value in Thailand so some contenders for cheapest single cab RWD new list price are:

- Triton petrol ~430k

- Cheapest diesel is probably Tata Giant around 500k baht, but Toyota, Mitsu and Nissan also have base models close to this price and probably better value if resale is considered.

That is assuming the little Chinese DFM or Tata Ace trucks are not considered as pickups.

I consider the Tata Ace also a pickup...but for this class I would pay a bit more for the Carry.... Those ace trucks and also a couple "Cary ripoffs" form China come with even smaller engines....50 to 70 hp jut doesnt seem enough for this.

But going over the Tata website they actually have some very interesting models I have to say.

Test drove the Chevy Colorado in December... Was in there looking to give one of top spec ones a drive but they only had a selection of the 2.5l's 2x4 in various specs so had a spin any way and IMO gotta be one of the best value cars around the 500k-600k mark! Top quality in and out for the price, very decent power-train! Looks slick aswel!

-Micro trucks

DFM Truck 1.1L LPG - 289K

DFM Truck 1.3L LPG - 339K

TATA Ace 1.4L Diesel - 356K

Suzuki Carry 1.6L Benzene - 396K

- Pickups

Mitsu Triton 2.4L Benzene - 433K

Mitsu Triton 2.5L Diesel - 495K

TATA Xenon 2.2L Diesel - 499K

Toyota Hilux 2.5L Diesel - 507K

Nissan Navara 2.5L Diesel - 510K

Isuzu D-Max Spark 2.5L Diesel - 513K

Edited by IMHO

- Pickups

Very helpful. Could you identify which of these (or others not mentioned) is "best value" or "most truck for the money"? Thanks. Are any of these going through a major change in the near future, providing a reason to wait to buy?

I only have the Nissan and Chevy to compare from testing first hand to buy myself and the Chevy is more truck for the buck IMO! Slightly more expensive than than the ones on that list but you see why upon test drive.

See: Chevrolet Colorado 2.5l S-Cab LS, THB570k

- Pickups

I am actually in the market for much the same thing, just a basic diesel pickup for the office for the engineers to throw equipment in and head off to project sites. Manual transmission and no need for spacecab or anything else that eats into tray space. I have taken the liberty to edit down IMHO's list to the options that I have found and I am strongly leaning to the Isuzu Spark as all the other options on the list are quite dated. Another positive is that there is always a market for passing on a used Isuzu pickup when we are done with it.

- Pickups

Very helpful. Could you identify which of these (or others not mentioned) is "best value" or "most truck for the money"? Thanks. Are any of these going through a major change in the near future, providing a reason to wait to buy?

Out of that list, I would personally eliminate the Benzene Triton and the TATA off-hand - form there it becomes a question of what's most important to you, as each have their strengths.

Triton Diesel - nicest interior, 128HP engine is solid, tray a little smaller than others here.

Hilux - weak engine (120HP) and aging, but huge dealer network (~400) and great residual value.

Navara - strongest engine (144HP) and biggest tray, but thirstier than others here.

D-Max - weakest engine (115HP) but best fuel economy. Newest design in this price range, huge dealer network, engine lasts forever.

If I was going to be hauling a full ton all the time, or spend the bulk of my driving in the mountains (but not doing huge KM's) it'd be the Navara.

If I was going to be travelling in the provinces regularly and minimizing down-time was my primary concern, it'd be the Hilux.

If I was going to do monster KM's, or ride quality was the primary criteria, it'd be the D-Max.

If I was looking for the best deal, and a general all-rounder, it'd be the Triton.

very helpful again MHO. Many thanks.

It would seem that the Navar is what Im looking for. Has the strongest engine and most space in the back as you say but still the lowest price of all.

Any specific reason for that? Nissan seems to me to be one of the best or most successful Japanese car manufacturers of the past years I would have no trouble choosing them.

The Isuzu would probably a close second.

I only have the Nissan and Chevy to compare from testing first hand to buy myself and the Chevy is more truck for the buck IMO! Slightly more expensive than than the ones on that list but you see why upon test drive.

See: Chevrolet Colorado 2.5l S-Cab LS, THB570k

Chev has priced itself out of the ballpark in the single cab segment, due to not having a cheaper down-spec 2.5L anymore..

very helpful again MHO. Many thanks.

It would seem that the Navar is what Im looking for. Has the strongest engine and most space in the back as you say but still the lowest price of all.

Any specific reason for that? Nissan seems to me to be one of the best or most successful Japanese car manufacturers of the past years I would have no trouble choosing them.

The Isuzu would probably a close second.

The Navara is a great truck at this price, but it's thirsty at ~13KM/L - which is why it lacks popularity with fleet buyers. The Isuzu will do 15-16KM/L (unladen), and the others all somewhere between these extremes.

- Pickups

Out of that list, I would personally eliminate the Benzene Triton and the TATA off-hand - form there it becomes a question of what's most important to you, as each have their strengths.

Triton Diesel - nicest interior, 128HP engine is solid, tray a little smaller than others here.

Hilux - weak engine (120HP) and aging, but huge dealer network (~400) and great residual value.

Navara - strongest engine (144HP) and biggest tray, but thirstier than others here.

D-Max - weakest engine (115HP) but best fuel economy. Newest design in this price range, huge dealer network, engine lasts forever.

If I was going to be hauling a full ton all the time, or spend the bulk of my driving in the mountains (but not doing huge KM's) it'd be the Navara.

If I was going to be travelling in the provinces regularly and minimizing down-time was my primary concern, it'd be the Hilux.

If I was going to do monster KM's, or ride quality was the primary criteria, it'd be the D-Max.

If I was looking for the best deal, and a general all-rounder, it'd be the Triton.

Agreed .....

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

- Pickups

As usual, your response was "spot on". A complete response that covers the full range of possibilities/preferences. Thanks.

Isn't the Hilux going through a pretty big change in the near future, like within 6 months?

Doen't Ford do a povert model pick-up?

Yep, just not in Thailand (yet)... the cheapest Ranger here is 680K

Whenever they get their production issues sorted out, we're likely to see a low power (120-125HP) 2.2L single cab in the mid 500's - but don't hold your breath... wink.png

Edited by IMHO

What is the wait time for a 419,000 petrol titan and how much is the lpg option?

The 2.4L benzene Triton is 433K (not 419) and wait times are usually somewhere between 0-6 weeks, depending on dealer.

No LPG option, but there is a factory CNG 2.4L model for 498K.

What is the wait time for a 419,000 petrol titan and how much is the lpg option?

Asking last year, as CNG is not an option...

Salesman got the mechanic and together they came up with a Triton LPG.......... remove spare wheel, mount in back, fit 2x LPG tanks under the back bed, total fee was truck + 49,000 baht for the conversion... + you still have petrol option.

I did not go with it, but a Company did, he is a friend, and the Triton goes to the deep South every month.. [very far and few CNG stations is why it had to be LPG]

The petrol TATA Xenon, CNG 2x tanks but they have removed the petrol tank, so if you cannot find a CNG Station, your stuck or is that out of gas..

Edited by ignis

From my Motor Show visit in Dec...

I quite like the wee pickups from China at summit like 269,000 Bt,full a/c and NGV as standard....but ??...Thai say look funny......

post-13-0-07441900-1359442438_thumb.jpg

Sokon is same but has Twin headlights........... also do a double cab.

http://www.one2car.com/SOKON_MINI%20TRUCK%20DOUBLE%20CABIN/L26120247

........ also seen as a pickup the DFM with the Hummer type grill

only picture is a Mini Van, but have seen as panel van and pickup....... only ever seen in white here.

post-42643-0-25243500-1359443018_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

From my Motor Show visit in Dec...

I quite like the wee pickups from China at summit like 269,000 Bt,full a/c and NGV as standard....but ??...Thai say look funny......

post-13-0-07441900-1359442438_thumb.jpg

To make them more liked by Thais there has to be an inference that they are really BMW pick ups. (Based on the front grill design).

The downside is that once accepted as pseudo-BMW the price would be doubled.

Edit... see that you changed the photo. My comment ref front 'BMW' grill refers to the micro pickup you had originally posted.

Edited by ThaidDown

To make them more liked by Thais there has to be an inference that they are really BMW pick ups. (Based on the front grill design).

The downside is that once accepted as pseudo-BMW the price would be doubled.

I think you're reading too much into it ;)

No Thai is ever going to be fooled into paying inflated prices for little POS micro trucks from China ;)

I consider the Tata Ace also a pickup...but for this class I would pay a bit more for the Carry.... Those ace trucks and also a couple "Cary ripoffs" form China come with even smaller engines....50 to 70 hp jut doesnt seem enough for this.

But going over the Tata website they actually have some very interesting models I have to say.

That would depend on what Suzuki Carry you are talking about....... here is an Automatic one

http://www.one2car.com/SUZUKI_CARRY/H31120285

There also a number of these about..

http://www.one2car.com/DAIHATSU_HIJET/K27120048

So maybe your post needs revising ?? "Those ace trucks and also a couple "Cary ripoffs" form China come with even smaller engines."