Carrying A Firearm

teej

I don't believe the impression that Thailand is "devoid of guns" is entirely accurate. My opinion based on talking with people and watching the news is that there are plenty of firearms in Thailand and they are increasingly being used in criminal activity.

I doubt that a foreigner could legally own a weapon in Thailand unless somehow authorized by diplomatic or military agreements.

But your Thai wife could own one, and if required to protect your family you could get to it first and utilize it as designed.

kenk3z

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i am against gun as you have well noticed...and I don´t need to be well informed to be pro or against gun...my moral values and brain will do for the matter...

1) Hope you are trying to get knifes banned since they amount to several times for deaths and wounded innocent in crime-related occurences.

2) I would never go into the gay-forum and ask "Why do you hate God?". Why do you think it was appropiate to ask if having a gun would stem out of fear?

(A sidenote: I have nothing against gay people and I don't belive in God.)

Moderators could be so nice to split this sidetrack into a new topic if they wished.

Incase of a drugged up junkie comes into your premisis at night, wielding an axe or knife, who is going to protect you? The police? Are you going to talk the man into staying while you dial the number and wait until you get an operator that understands your crummy thai? And then wait with you until the police shows up?

So, let's see.

Who here has experienced the above in Thailand?

Who here has children in the house?

Now, who is going to have a gun in the house, ready, loaded and easily accessible incase of the above senario?

Nobody with children in the house I hope.

Guns and Rednecks.... what a mixture.

Yes i am against gun as you have well noticed...and I don´t need to be well informed to be pro or against gun...my moral values and brain will do for the matter...

1) Hope you are trying to get knifes banned since they amount to several times for deaths and wounded innocent in crime-related occurences.

2) I would never go into the gay-forum and ask "Why do you hate God?". Why do you think it was appropiate to ask if having a gun would stem out of fear?

(A sidenote: I have nothing against gay people and I don't belive in God.)

Moderators could be so nice to split this sidetrack into a new topic if they wished.

Well may be you want to destroy all buses and cars in case they will kill one of your family members while crossing the road...

Sometimes people go out of topic within the topic... :o

The fact that you have a gun was not the sentence that imply that you live with fear ( maybe you don´t good for you) but all those sentence about a junkie and thiefs wanted to enter into your house and do something terrible to you....

The fact that you have a gun was not the sentence that imply that you live with fear ( maybe you don´t good for you) but all those sentence about a junkie and thiefs wanted to enter into your house and do something terrible to you....

It's called 'illustrating a point' and doesn't mean that the poster in questions believe it's going to happend to HIM!

Incase of a drugged up junkie comes into your premisis at night, wielding an axe or knife, who is going to protect you? The police? Are you going to talk the man into staying while you dial the number and wait until you get an operator that understands your crummy thai? And then wait with you until the police shows up?

So, let's see.

Not me.

Me.

Now, who is going to have a gun in the house, ready, loaded and easily accessible incase of the above scenario?

Not me.

The only drugged up junkie I have seen up here (and he probably isn't a junkie anyway) looks a bit like a glue sniffing village idiot.

I was 25 years in the military and I was taught

a) never carry a loaded weapon unless you are told to.

:o NEVER point a loaded weapon at anyone unless you are going to kill them.

c) guns are designed for one purpose only, to kill something be it a clay pidgeon, a cardboard target, an animal or a person.

d) a gun on its own is harmless, loaded or unloaded, only people are dangerous.

e) most of all a gun is NOT a toy.

In the 25 years I was in the military apart from range firing practice I only ever carried a loaded gun on one ocaission which was to protect some guided missles from being stolen from the convoy. I was given a rifle, a bayonet and 20 rounds of live ammunition and the instructions were to use 18 rounds if I really had to, shoot the driver with the 19th and myself with the last round and the "enemy" would kill me painfully if I fired on them. My thoughts were basically if you need the missles so badly you can have them, then go and steal an aircraft to fire them from.

If you need a gun in Thailand to protect yourself you must be living in the wrong place.

It's called 'illustrating a point' and doesn't mean that the poster in questions believe it's going to happend to HIM!

ahhhh ! you are talking about your neighbour´s gun...I see...

Well about ilustrating the point...I will never use that argument because that situations are not in my head...

My father used to have a gun in the house because he was in the army...and still thiefs and junkies never crossed my mind...

also as a woman sometimes i get scared when walking alone in a dark,solitary street but still i won´t carry a gun but an anti-rapist spray...

Edited by Glauka

Just wondering, is it possible to obtain a permit in thailand to carry a weapon (firearm) either on your person or in your vehicle? Is the law different for thai nationals? I'm asking sincerly here, as I'm not looking to be a Clint Eastwood-type, so i would appreciate straightforward answers rather than "Sure, you can carry a gun, just don't get caught" or "Why would you want to carry a weapon, better not to piss of a thai and die" etc. No, I'm not a police officer, nor am I in the military... so the question is directed at permits for civilians.

So what experience do you have in the maintainence, storage and more importantly the handling of a firearm....???

Sorry i though we were talking about the sizes of bras...Yes better to leave the room...because refering to your post about why someone could wanted to have a gun in the house is out of topic...

you brought that in here my friend I just continue your threat... :o

Sorry i though we were talking about the sizes of bras...

I heard you had a pair of 38's...... :D:D:D

size 95 in Spain i don´t know the size of a 38...

but is all natural...hard and soft at the same time...like guns (just to be on topic) :o

I would have 2 shot guns in each hand leaning over both shoulders while bargaining. would be fun and going to patong beach or having a drink in the pub, when i get too wasted i might go overboard and start telling people to buy me a drink (while i pump the gun).

So for my safety its probaly a good idea that i cant get a license as im not the sensible type

So many drunken drivers in Bkk area posses a gun, it's seems funny, really. Once we caught ugly m/f/ on Lexus 4WD early morning hours with Colt. He tried to freighten us with his piece, so we took it from him and threw to the nearest klong. The idea to stick it in his bunhole came later, after we threw it. What a mistake!

Near Old Siam there're so many gun's shops - must be a reason, right? No, foreigner cannot buy it legally, we tried

"Permanent residents are able to, I believe."

I have heard that as well. The laws here are more strict than where I come from; even airguns are under the same regulations as firearms. Getting a gun legally here is like pulling teeth, but you can buy just about any other weapon at JJ Market (brass knuckles, stun guns, knives, leather slappers and black jacks). If you aren't Thai or if you don't have PR, I suppose you would be limited to bows/arrows and wristrockets :o

Just wondering, is it possible to obtain a permit in thailand to carry a weapon (firearm) either on your person or in your vehicle? Is the law different for thai nationals? I'm asking sincerly here, as I'm not looking to be a Clint Eastwood-type, so i would appreciate straightforward answers rather than "Sure, you can carry a gun, just don't get caught" or "Why would you want to carry a weapon, better not to piss of a thai and die" etc. No, I'm not a police officer, nor am I in the military... so the question is directed at permits for civilians.

So what experience do you have in the maintainence, storage and more importantly the handling of a firearm....???

In a word, extensive. But that is not relevant to my original question, is it?

So, let's see.

Not me.

Me.

Now, who is going to have a gun in the house, ready, loaded and easily accessible incase of the above scenario?

Not me.

The only drugged up junkie I have seen up here (and he probably isn't a junkie anyway) looks a bit like a glue sniffing village idiot.

I was 25 years in the military and I was taught

a) never carry a loaded weapon unless you are told to.

:D NEVER point a loaded weapon at anyone unless you are going to kill them.

c) guns are designed for one purpose only, to kill something be it a clay pidgeon, a cardboard target, an animal or a person.

d) a gun on its own is harmless, loaded or unloaded, only people are dangerous.

e) most of all a gun is NOT a toy.

In the 25 years I was in the military apart from range firing practice I only ever carried a loaded gun on one ocaission which was to protect some guided missles from being stolen from the convoy. I was given a rifle, a bayonet and 20 rounds of live ammunition and the instructions were to use 18 rounds if I really had to, shoot the driver with the 19th and myself with the last round and the "enemy" would kill me painfully if I fired on them. My thoughts were basically if you need the missles so badly you can have them, then go and steal an aircraft to fire them from.

If you need a gun in Thailand to protect yourself you must be living in the wrong place.

I Could not have said it better my self... :D

just a couple of additions to the above.

F) If you are going to own a gun you must have proper training.....

G) Most people who think they need to carry guns will at one time or another find a reason and try to use them.

I my self have guns at home under lock and key. I love to hunt, fish and all that..

I have carried loaded weapons in the line of duty and been forced to use them... Something I pray I will never have to do again... IF you think you need to carry a gun for protection then MOVE... (Harming some one with a firearm will lead to problems for you.) Killing some one is not something you want to live with either.. :o

<snip>

(Harming some one with a firearm will lead to problems for you.) <snip>

I wouldn't even want to know what would happen to you here if you were charged with wrongful use of a firearm. :o

I never owned a firearm myself and don't care to. Never could see the fascination. Aside from the rare need or for sport, e.g. target practice, clay pidgeon shooting, I don't subscribe to the hypothetical situations people come up with. As far as I'm concerned those situations are then much more likely to happen after the purchase of a gun for those reasons. The old what comes first question, the chicken or the egg? The gun does.

No doubt there's a lot of different mentality out there when it comes to owning firearms. I always like the people whose argument when asked why they want a gun is really nothing more than "because." "Because why?" "Because I do." These people really don't care to consider anything other that. Once somebody is able to justify something to themselves they become blind to anything else.

Guns = :D

... Harming some one with a firearm will lead to problems for you...
Excellent point,

The downside to shooting or killing someone, in self-defense or not, will always carry the specter of retaliation.

Whether its comes to realization or not, it's going to increase your paranoia.

Given the option, I'd pistol whip someone before I'd shoot them, then I'd beg them not to make me have to shoot them, but if your dealing with someone irrational or intent on moving forward with their agenda, well your options are limited.

In my neighborhood, everyone had a Walter PPK under their pillow, but an actually shooting was very rare. Best defense ? Live in a good neighborhood. :o

Glauka>> Do you have anything ontopic to say or do you just want to continue this drivel of yours?

I believe it is you who started on drivel. Glauka posed a question, made a remrk and you backhanded her.

So, do tell how uninformed one has to be to be anti-gun ownership? Only pro-gun people are informed?

If you can argue your point withourt being condescending then this should be taken on another thread. Seeing as this is not possible for you, just drop it. Glauka makes a lot more sense than you.

The authority to grant the required permit rests with the police. I've never heard that foreigners were specifically excepted from the process, but I've never tried to research the point either. Regardless, I suspect it would be the proverbial cold day in hel_l before a foreigner ever got a permit to carry a weapn here.

I'm a dual-citizen... which is why i asked if the laws were nationality-specific or not... any idea as to the process for a Thai citizen to get the permit?

Then I suggest that you visit the gun shops in China Town. If you are serious about purchasing a gun then they will advice you on where to get permits etc.

Allthough the permit itself cost Baht 50.- its not an easy process but as you are Thai you might find it easier to get.

If you are Thai or have Permanent Residence then you can apply to own a firearm as clearly explained by a previous Poster.

When I first came to Thailand nearly 35 years ago part of my job involved carrying quite large sums of money around up-country, so my Company arranged for the Permit plus the additional Permit required to carry the gun outside my residence.

Being only about 25 at the time I felt like James Bond ……….. until I very nearly was shot by a couple of American MP’s in Takli who thought I was an American off base with a weapon.

I never carried the thing again and, indeed, have since destroyed it – if someone wants my money they can have it, if someone wants my Company’s money they can have it even quicker!

Incidentally, at the time the most powerful handgun one could legally purchase was a .32 or a .22 Magnum. Since, even then, most people carried illegal weapons in Thailand (several of my Salesmen at the time carried .44 Magnums – no license of course) it was a pretty useless defense anyway!

Patrick

Getting hold of a gun (no license) in Thailand is not difficult. The country is awash with illegal firearms.

I have yet to go to a country that makes it easy for a foreigner to legally own a weapon, seems the more third word the country the more impossible. One man revolution? :D

Anyway the thing is if you have a gun for protection legal or not what do you do with it. Carry it at all times? Who knows when you will be threatened? Swimming on a deserted beach? All that sand in the mechanism!

In your home? So you shoot an intruder, think the local plod will be more interested in how a Farang killed one of their own than congratulating you for doing the community a service.

As a previous poster said stun guns are easily available, if the ones on display are low power just ask for something with more power and they will go round the back and get whatever you need. At least 150000v.

Remember stun guns are up close and personal - Baseball Bat – no license - effective even in confined spaces. :o

In a word, extensive. But that is not relevant to my original question, is it?

The relevence is .....if you had no experience in these areas....it would not be a good idea to have a firearm....it is one thing to have a gun and another thing knowing how to use and look after the gun.

If you had extensive experience such as military, shooting club, Police, security...then you would understand the point I was making. A gun in the hand of an experienced shooter is dangerous...in the hand of inexperienced shooter it is downright deadly.

"A gun in the hand of an experienced shooter is dangerous...in the hand of inexperienced shooter it is downright deadly."

That's true...I have many years of experience shooting guns but the most important things I've learned are the most basic safety rules; keeping the barrel pointed in a safe direction, etc.