Carrying A Firearm

teej

Just wondering, is it possible to obtain a permit in thailand to carry a weapon (firearm) either on your person or in your vehicle? Is the law different for thai nationals? I'm asking sincerly here, as I'm not looking to be a Clint Eastwood-type, so i would appreciate straightforward answers rather than "Sure, you can carry a gun, just don't get caught" or "Why would you want to carry a weapon, better not to piss of a thai and die" etc. No, I'm not a police officer, nor am I in the military... so the question is directed at permits for civilians.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering, is it possible to obtain a permit in thailand to carry a weapon (firearm) either on your person or in your vehicle? Is the law different for thai nationals? I'm asking sincerly here, as I'm not looking to be a Clint Eastwood-type, so i would appreciate straightforward answers rather than "Sure, you can carry a gun, just don't get caught" or "Why would you want to carry a weapon, better not to piss of a thai and die" etc. No, I'm not a police officer, nor am I in the military... so the question is directed at permits for civilians.

What I can tell is that you need a licence for all types of guns here - I'm told you even need a licence for air-guns (or BB guns, if you're from over the atlantic).

EDIT: If you want personal protection without any sort of permits - then why don't you get one of those bloody big swords or knives they sell!

Edited by Grant

The authority to grant the required permit rests with the police. I've never heard that foreigners were specifically excepted from the process, but I've never tried to research the point either. Regardless, I suspect it would be the proverbial cold day in hel_l before a foreigner ever got a permit to carry a weapn here.

I'm just wondering why you feel your safety is in such jepoardy in Thailand that you feel the need to carry a firearm ? :o

totster :D

I'm just wondering why you feel your safety is in such jepoardy in Thailand that you feel the need to carry a firearm ? :D

totster :D

I would love to be able to bring my shot gun to Thailand but so far it appears that I will not be allowed. :o

This is not for self protection; it was a gift to me for my 16th birthday (I am now 58) from my late father.

If anyone knows anything different please let me know.

what part of no is unclear

Sorry I did not realise that there could be only one answer to a question and it had to be the one that you like :o

Hi Edd

Surely a shotgun is a sporting gun, I too would like to bag a few clays but have always thought that the paperwork required to move a gun around the globe was not worth the effort.

I assume Thais also shoot for pleasure. I seem to recall a club in Pattaya.

Sorry rambling a bit here s'pose the point I am trying to make is that there are many uses for guns and they are not all negative. :D

TBWG :D

There's the occasional foreigner at the gun club I shoot at (called the Sor Raw Por) at Ramintra 17 (Soi Latplakao), they own their own, but I'm pretty sure I recall most of them also mentioning that they have PR as well.

So I'd say yes, but you'll need a tabien baan (or whatever PR folks have that says where they live).

:o

The need for a gun (or anything that can be used to protect oneselfs) isn't something that should be frowned upon. Perhaps you don't love your close ones enough, but many of us do.

Incase of a drugged up junkie comes into your premisis at night, wielding an axe or knife, who is going to protect you? The police? Are you going to talk the man into staying while you dial the number and wait until you get an operator that understands your crummy thai? And then wait with you until the police shows up?

On that subject, I have been looking into what is needed for a stungun. It's purely a defence-weapon and does NO harm - merely renders the attacker incapable of continuing his attack. Any info regarding these or what MIGHT be allowed to own..is welcome.

Edited by TAWP

The need for a gun (or anything that can be used to protect oneselfs) isn't something that should be frowned upon. Perhaps you don't love your close ones enough, but many of us do.

Incase of a drugged up junkie comes into your premisis at night, wielding an axe or knife, who is going to protect you? The police? Are you going to talk the man into staying while you dial the number and wait until you get an operator that understands your crummy thai? And then wait with you until the police shows up?

On that subject, I have been looking into what is needed for a stungun. It's purely a defence-weapon and does NO harm - merely renders the attacker incapable of continuing his attack. Any info regarding these or what MIGHT be allowed to own..is welcome.

Of course the usual argument wold be that someone robs your house, finds the gun and is now an armed robber. The old gun debate - but why start populating a country with guns if they aren't here yet . . . Different debate.

Yup, the stun gun sounds good.

First response is to say No - check with the firing range for clarification. If anyone knows they must surely. :o Perhaps you might be able to own one, but has to be kept at the range?

I own a few (not in Thailand), however pretty much useless for protection purposes - clip out, trigger lock on, and in a safe.

The authority to grant the required permit rests with the police. I've never heard that foreigners were specifically excepted from the process, but I've never tried to research the point either. Regardless, I suspect it would be the proverbial cold day in hel_l before a foreigner ever got a permit to carry a weapn here.

I'm a dual-citizen... which is why i asked if the laws were nationality-specific or not... any idea as to the process for a Thai citizen to get the permit?

Are these the same drugged up junkies that everyone wants to give drugs to legally....ooops thats another debate.... :o

Back to this one.... If you start letting people carry guns...more people will die...simple. You get some nervous guy with a gun blasting at the local drunk who lost his way home. :D

Do you really need a gun to show your wife that you can protect her ??...you are not protecting her...the gun is..... :D A baseball bat is quite legal and just as effective. :D

How can you live with so much Fear?...

Surely a shotgun is a sporting gun,

YES! ITS A GUN TO BE USED FOR FUN NOT HURTING PEOPLE

Sorry rambling a bit here s'pose the point I am trying to make is that there are many uses for guns and they are not all negative. :o

SO MANY PEOPLE ARE NEGATIVE ABOUT GUNS, BUT USED CORRECTLY THEY CAN GIVE A LOT OF PLEASURE.

ALSO THIS GUN IS A LINK TO MY LATE FATHER

Edd

I'm a dual-citizen... which is why i asked if the laws were nationality-specific or not... any idea as to the process for a Thai citizen to get the permit?

If one of your citizenships is Thai you already know the answer to your question. If Thailand does not permit gun ownership to its own citizens who else would it give the permit to? My dual citizenships holding brother owns a gun in Thailand legally.

How can you post with little or no knowledge on the subject?

What do I need to know? Please tell me...

Not to draw unjustified conclusions based on ill-informed anti-gun propaganda.

Clear enough?

Clear enough?

I could not have said it any better my self :o

Me too.I need one when the wife gets a bit "upperty" :o

Clear enough?

If you need protection you feel that something or somebody is threaten you.

Incase of a drugged up junkie comes into your premisis at night, wielding an axe or knife, who is going to protect you? The police? Are you going to talk the man into staying while you dial the number and wait until you get an operator that understands your crummy thai? And then wait with you until the police shows up

How many times have this happen to you?...If it happened and something terrible occurred i apologize in advanced...but there are things that one cannot avoid by just having a gun...

Well nothing against this...

Yes i am against gun as you have well noticed...and I don´t need to be well informed to be pro or against gun...my moral values and brain will do for the matter...

You need to go to your local police department and apply for a por 3. The por 3 allows you to purchase the gun. There's a background check that takes about a week, a short interview about your occupation, income (you'll need to show at least one of your bank books to have more than 1 million Baht in that account), assets, etc. and you'll need a witness (not your parents) to testify (in questionaire form, in person at the police station) about your character. And of course you'll need to bring the usual: your id card and tabien baan.

You present the por 3 at the gun shop and they'll give you the forms for a por 4 (permit to have a gun in your house), for something like 2,000 Baht they'll run the docs for you, but you can also run them yourself down to the CSD on Phaholyothin Road near where the Dan Neramit amusement park used to be. Once that clears, you take that back to the gun shop and take your gun home. This is all most folks need for home protection. With the por 4 license, you can go back and forth between your home and any shooting ranges you use and not get in trouble for transporting the firearm.

Once you have the por 4, you can apply to carry the weapon at all times. There's no strict criteria as to if it will be granted or not, but you typically have demonstrate why you need to carry firearms. Gold shop owners/relatives and gems couriers are the people I hear most often of getting easily approved.

There's a set limit as to the number of por 3's granted within specific time frames. For the last few years, the guns have been sold out to southern applicants (mostly teachers so I'm told).

:o

Edited by Heng