Liquor Ban Proposal On Hold In Phuket

webfact

Liquor ban proposal on hold in Phuket

Nattha Thepbamrung

1359356352_1.jpg

Dr Saman “liquor buster” Futrakul. Photo: Manager Online.

PHUKET: -- Dr Saman “liquor buster” Futrakul’s campaign to get alcohol off Thailand’s streets has been delayed while details are sorted and because the cabinet committee is so busy, he said.

If the plan of Dr Saman, president of the Disease Control Department's Office of Alcohol Beverage and Tobacco Consumption Control Committee, goes ahead, the selling of alcohol in public places in Phuket, and across Thailand at large, will be banned, along with drinking in many public places.

“There is already an actual law – an act that bans the sale of food, beverages and other items on the street and footpath. So this regulation comes under that same law, and we will enforce it strictly,” Dr Saman said.

He added that the cabinet were very busy at the moment, so the new regulation had been put on hold.

But Dr Saman said it was not being ignored, as it had already been approved by the Ministry of Public Health last year.

“If the regulation is launched, we will suppress only the alcohol sellers on the street and footpaths. Other businesses such as food vendors or non-alcoholic beverage vendors won’t be included.”

Dr Saman’s proposed regulation mandates a ban on all alcohol sales on footpaths, pavement and streets – which would also apply to small mobile food shops. In addition, the sale and consumption of alcohol in municipal and provincial parks would be prohibited.

These would include Loma Park in Patong, the centre for Phuket Bike Week, and Saphan Hin next to Phuket Town, epicentre of Songkran celebrations and many other public events.

The new regulation would also cover places such as Bangla Rd.

Under the proposed regulations, sales of alcohol would also be limited to specific hours, between 5 am and 2 pm, and from 5 pm to midnight anywhere except inside entertainment venues and international airport buildings.

Paiboon Upatising, President of the Phuket Provincial Administration Organisation (OrBorJor) told The Phuket News earlier that it would be hard to apply the regulations in a tourism-focused place like Phuket.

“We can see small shops everywhere on the pavement, and some of them sell alcohol. It would be difficult to enforce for real,” he said.

He added that it would be acceptable if the authorities just wanted to control alcohol consumption during festival periods such as New Year or Songkran, but strict year-round control would be near impossible.

Chairat Sukkaban, deputy mayor of Patong – Phuket’s party centre – previously said he believed the regulations would definitely affect tourism, especially in Patong.

Source: http://www.thephuket...huket-36674.php

-- The Phuket News 2013-01-28

footer_n.gif

The good doctor looks like he'd be a barrel of laughs over a few beers.

Amazing how these people never feel they have to explain themselves when they are clamping down on "vice"... If some pious bespectacled clown with a studded stick up his Kiester thinks some of us shouldn't drink at certain places at certain hours, nobody seriously questions the bill.

• Like 1

No wonder they want to ban alcohol in Phuket. 30 percent Muslims (I saw 2 year old baby-girl with complete scarf) seems lobbying quite well. Whats next? Complete ban of selling tobacco and alcohol? Oh, I forgot, muslims also smoke too!

Can't remember the name of island, but in one of the islands near Phi Phi, you can't disrecpect the religious views of Muslims hence you can't drink alcohol.

No wonder they want to ban alcohol in Phuket. 30 percent Muslims (I saw 2 year old baby-girl with complete scarf) seems lobbying quite well. Whats next? Complete ban of selling tobacco and alcohol? Oh, I forgot, muslims also smoke too!

Can't remember the name of island, but in one of the islands near Phi Phi, you can't disrecpect the religious views of Muslims hence you can't drink alcohol.

Hmmm...there's your answer then - as soon as our islamic brothers get in on the act you can pretty much kiss it goodbye coz if they dont get their own way, they just start blowin shit up.... I guess all the "whores of Babylon and infidels" will have to go too...coffee1.gif

• Like 2

If they really want to go this route, just follow the example of Muslim countries and only allow liquor sales in hotels. Problem solved.

Problem is, this is not a Muslim country. I don't care if 30 percent of Phuket is muslim. They have more mosques (Temples that are visited 5 times a day) than all other Temples combined (Buddhist, Chinese etc) despite the fact that they are only 30% minority.

Why we always have to change our way of life for their beliefs? Do you know that no matter how good person you are, if you are non-muslim, they will believe you are going to hell -- which makes you a bad friend, worthless piece of ##### --

Its funny, yesterday a muslim couple came to talk my mother in law. First, they talk real nice. After learning that she is not from south of Thailand, hence not a muslim, they flee away real quick! What a bummer!

• Like 1

If they really want to go this route, just follow the example of Muslim countries and only allow liquor sales in hotels. Problem solved.

Problem is, this is not a Muslim country. I don't care if 30 percent of Phuket is muslim. They have more mosques (Temples that are visited 5 times a day) than all other Temples combined (Buddhist, Chinese etc) despite the fact that they are only 30% minority.

Why we always have to change our way of life for their beliefs? Do you know that no matter how good person you are, if you are non-muslim, they will believe you are going to hell -- which makes you a bad friend, worthless piece of ##### --

Its funny, yesterday a muslim couple came to talk my mother in law. First, they talk real nice. After learning that she is not from south of Thailand, hence not a muslim, they flee away real quick! What a bummer!

What a great world this would be if somehow we could force the Muslims out of non Muslim countries, and back to their own countries, and their offspring as well.
  • Like 1

What a great world this would be if somehow we could force the Muslims out of non Muslim countries, and back to their own countries, and their offspring as well.

Rather off topic - but I do so agree.

And please follow this by non-Buddhist being forced out of Buddhist countries, and so on...

...unbelievable...

LOL I am sure they are really busy. Do these people have nothing better to do than come up with stupid laws.

This will not pass in Phuket in my lifetime.

"He added that it would be acceptable if the authorities just wanted to control alcohol consumption during festival periods such as New Year or Songkran,"

bwaaaahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahaburp.gif

And please follow this by non-Buddhist being forced out of Buddhist countries, and so on...

...unbelievable...

You are wrong. Buddhists have no quarrel with other religions. in fact, every religion can coexist except islam. Thats the way it is. i wish there was a developed country with human rights, freedom and no muslims in it. That i could call heaven on earth.

• Like 1

“We can see small shops everywhere on the pavement, and some of them sell alcohol. It would be difficult to enforce for real,” he said.

Why would it be difficult to enforce for real? Do you see small shops selling alcohol all over the pavement in Hong Kong or Singapore? Why not ask them how they manage it?

Edited by Arkady