Accomodation By The Month Around 10,000

Ben9

I plan on moving back to Thailand in May for a few (about 3 or 4) months before heading to Philippines or Nepal, was wondering if anyone could P.M any details of places to stay aroundr 10,000baht a month in Chaing Mai ( preferably around the 6000/7000 mark even better!!) . Hotels, Bungalows, apartments, etc

Ideally it would have hot water and WIFI, maybe even a T.V.

I understand that may be asking a lot so If you know somewhere thats cheap but is low on amenities I would be interested in hearing about it too, I'm not looking for a place to settle down in, just to somewhere to kill a few months hanging out.

I know the best thing I could do is wait until I am there and take a spin round, and I will do that, I am just looking for some places to start, and if its even possible to get a half decent place at those prices.

I also posted this in Phuket and Pattaya forums as have not made up my mind where to go yet

P.M Me please

Thanks in Advance

veerachai court has 3 prices,different levels.that can be a good starting point for you

It also has a good location close to the old city and the night bazaar. All in an easy walking distance.

I believe their most expensive option is 7,500 baht a month. Not sure what the internet is there. When I stayed there years ago we had to buy time. I would think it has changed over the years.

veerachai court has 3 prices,different levels.that can be a good starting point for you

It also has a good location close to the old city and the night bazaar. All in an easy walking distance.

I believe their most expensive option is 7,500 baht a month. Not sure what the internet is there. When I stayed there years ago we had to buy time. I would think it has changed over the years.

You can't download anything from the internet there.

Hi, I am also planning a month in Chiang Mai and need a place to stay for 10k or less. What I also need is relatively reliable free internet access as I will work on a daily basis and can't afford connection issues etc. Do most of those places have broadband connection?

Edited by imok

Smith Residence is good, prices start around 6000 per month depending on room type, rooms have working desk area, fridge, TV, air con, wifi internet, bathroom with hot shower, small balcony. Power, water and internet are extra (Internet is 400 baht/mo; power and water are metered). Often booked out ahead so call or email them well beforehand. http://www.chiangmaismithres.com/

Noble House a stone's throw from Smith opened three days ago and is brand new. It does not have all the bells and whistles of Smith (no restaurant downstairs, did not see a laundry lady either) but is nice and new. http://www.noblehousecm.com/

The same owner as Noble House also owns Noble Place Chiangmai http://www.chiangmaiairporthotel.com/

Smith also has another tower (Smith Tower) but that is always booked out six months or more upfront.

Internet speeds in guest houses is usually dire.

Many coffee shops with free wifi that are happy for you to hang out if you make a purchase every hour (or so).

Why not get out of the backpacker/monger/saddo areas all the others recommend, try Santhitham Road, loads of places for around 5k/month + utils. And loads of female Thai students ...... not that you will be wanting that sort of thing.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Thanks for info. Anything about the quality of internet connection there?

When I lived at Smith Residence last year, Internet was OK: fast browsing, average downloads, but with slowdowns on weeknights when everyone gets on, and the occasional outage (less than one per month; usually up to an hour or so). The area has a fair number of hotels and other accommodation so the slowdown may not necessarily have been within Smith, it could also have been at the local DSLAM in which case all users of the same ISP in that area would slow down (and all accommodations would have similar speed). Smith has Wifi only, no cabled internet by the way.

Overall, if you need high-speed Internet along the lines of what is required to run trading rigs across international markets etc. you could consider getting your own dedicated high-end line, however as others have said, even that guarantees only the national traffic speeds at the best of times; as you don't know how the traffic is routed and where things may be slowed down/bottlenecked when the traffic leaves LOS, there simply is no speed guarantee, even with the biggest available local pipe directly to your rig.

Either way, in my experience Internet is generally acceptable for normal use but may be too slow for critical use (trading, streaming media with high bandwidth requirements, etc.).