I-Mobile Iq5 & Iq6

oz457

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IQ5 - Yes, yes, solid for the price, decent, probably and no (yet at least)

But...

When I say decent battery, I mean Mrs Bobl gets 1-2 days on a charge but is not exactly a heavy user. Maybe I'll nab it for a day and see how it compares with my SGS2 (which I'm lucky to get 6-8 hours out of) for a 'heavy' user.

When I say probably rootable, I'm guessing. It would depend if i-mobile are using a stock, unencrypted bootloader. I'd expect the bin4ry root tool would do the job but I can't think of any reason I'd want to bother. Maybe to install/enable google navigation...

Only thing so far is the camera, takes pictures with a distinctly green tinge - but I haven't bothered yet trying to figure out whether it's just the settings, a one-off problem (faulty sensor), or a common problem with the iq5.

Overall - 'top end' it's not. That said, it's very difficult to find anything to complain about for the price and dual-sim is a major bonus especially if you're looking to replace 2 phones with 1.

One more question. What is the difference between the models with a A at the end and those without an A. I do see all models on the i-mobile website IQ1 with a version of IQ1A, IQ2 with another version IQ2A, etc.

Frequencies, afaik

IQ5 for DTAC, CAT (& True-H), IQ5A for AIS

That said, I have both a DTAC and an AIS chip in the IQ5 and it works fine, although I'm only using DTAC 3G (AIS 2G only). I hadn't given much thought to the fact that the AIS chip comes up as 2G only, because I don't use 3G on AIS - so probably you need the 5A if you want to use AIS 3G.

I should be able to give you a more specific answer if I go and look up the frequencies the two models can handle, but that's about it...

• Like 1

Follow-up... Just quickly googled the 5A and yes, it seems you must have a 5A if you want to use AIS 3G (which in turn probably means the 5A won't do 3G on DTAC/CAT/True-H).

Bobl. You are correct reference the A. But that is 900/2100 3g and the other is 850/2100 3g.

So both are suitable for the "new" 2100mhz 3g

The boxes are clearly marked with a sticker so no worries :D

I saw an IQ6 in the DTAC shop in Big C Chiang Mai today. 1280x720 screen, Jelly Bean 4.1 but only a dual core 1Ghz processor. Seems like it's going to be under powered to move all those pixels. :-(

I saw an IQ6 in the DTAC shop in Big C Chiang Mai today. 1280x720 screen, Jelly Bean 4.1 but only a dual core 1Ghz processor. Seems like it's going to be under powered to move all those pixels. :-(

First thing to remember with budget phones is that they typically bring something approaching "today's" form factor using "yesterday's" components, By staying a step or two behind the 'bleeding edge' being pushed by the major manufacturers, they're able to produce decent products at reasonable prices.

Pushing pixels is little to do with the CPU, it's a function of how capable the GPU is. The iq6 uses a PowerVR SGX531 GPU, which is pretty capable. Generationally, it's comparable to the iPhone4's A4 GPU (which is a PowerVR SGX5-series manufactured under license by Samsung).

Again, it's not the 'latest' 16-core GPU coupled with a 4-core CPU - that's why it's ~$300, vs ~$700 for bleeding edge... smile.png

Edited by bobl
  • Like 1

First thing to remember with budget phones is that they typically bring something approaching "today's" form factor using "yesterday's" components, By staying a step or two behind the 'bleeding edge' being pushed by the major manufacturers, they're able to produce decent products at reasonable prices.

Pushing pixels is little to do with the CPU, it's a function of how capable the GPU is. The iq6 uses a PowerVR SGX531 GPU, which is pretty capable. Generationally, it's comparable to the iPhone4's A4 GPU (which is a PowerVR SGX5-series manufactured under license by Samsung).

Again, it's not the 'latest' 16-core GPU coupled with a 4-core CPU - that's why it's ~$300, vs ~$700 for bleeding edge... smile.png

iPhone 4's A4 cpu uses SGX 540. iPhone 3GS uses SGX 535. Mediatek 6575 / 6577 uses SGX 531.

531 is the slowest model in PowerVR GPUs. Although it is enough for most games and tasks, it doesn't change the fact that it is outdated.

New mediatek quadcore soc contains SGX 544 MP2, which is way faster than Mali 400 MP4 and of course SGX 531.

For $250 usd, you can buy an IPS 5" Mediatek 6589 cpu telephone from china. For $275 usd, you can get same specs with 5.7" IPS screen aswell. Of course, after chinese new year ended :)

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/ThL-W8-5-0-Inch-HD-Screen-MTK6589-Quad-core-Smart-Phone-1G-RAM-8-0MP-Camera-3G-GPS-White-314295.html

iPhone 4's A4 cpu uses SGX 540. iPhone 3GS uses SGX 535. Mediatek 6575 / 6577 uses SGX 531.

531 is the slowest model in PowerVR GPUs. Although it is enough for most games and tasks, it doesn't change the fact that it is outdated.

New mediatek quadcore soc contains SGX 544 MP2, which is way faster than Mali 400 MP4 and of course SGX 531.

For $250 usd, you can buy an IPS 5" Mediatek 6589 cpu telephone from china. For $275 usd, you can get same specs with 5.7" IPS screen aswell. Of course, after chinese new year ended :)

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/ThL-W8-5-0-Inch-HD-Screen-MTK6589-Quad-core-Smart-Phone-1G-RAM-8-0MP-Camera-3G-GPS-White-314295.html

One thing to remember about these phones ordered from China. They have no warranty. I-mobile and the like do have warranty. And are sold legally with NTC authority.

I recently bought an I style q 6. A great phone but the screen is very sensitive..

Is there an English step by step guide on how to root the phone as I want to install Google map navigation

screen sensitivity is usually able to be adjusted up or down if you can find the hidden menu

For $250 usd, you can buy an IPS 5" Mediatek 6589 cpu telephone from china. For $275 usd, you can get same specs with 5.7" IPS screen aswell. Of course, after chinese new year ended smile.png

http://www.geekbuyin...ite-314295.html

Is it available in Bangkok?

Unfortunately not. You need to order it online with paypal and expect it to arrive within 2 weeks. Of course, you must order after chinese new year holiday.

Bought about a month ago a iQ5 and overall happy. Use DTAC and AIS sims. Sound of ringtones is i.m.o. to low and I like to know how I can get an upgrade to JB 4.1 or higher. Battery could also be a bit stronger but a second battery solves that problem. For me for the price I paid ( about 6700 Baht ) it's a good phone and it even supports Dutch language ! Also tried this week a 64 GB card and it works great !!! Download a lot of series to watch when fly and also all my MP3's are on now.

For me a 9 out of 10 !

Edited by Scorpio1949

How are the cameras in the i-Mobiles, particularly in low-light conditions (without using flash)? I've just read the article The Best Smartphone Camera and was wondering where the i-Mobiles' cameras would rank in comparison.

Don't expect very good quality but you can make good-enough-for-facebook photo, if your hands are not trembling ;-)

See for yourself

857387_535400613159214_1383309038_o.jpg

• Like 2

I recently bought an I style q 6. A great phone but the screen is very sensitive..

Is there an English step by step guide on how to root the phone as I want to install Google map navigation

zoolander I have just installed Sygic navigation with full Thai maps on a non rooted phone if you are interested PM me and I will send you the link....

Does anyone know what the Q6 is based on I am trying to find a way to root it and noting is coming back for I-Mobile.

Found a page in Thai even though it said it was for the Q6 it seemed to be for the Q3.

Edited by Para

• 2 weeks later...

Just found a site with the ROM's for the IQ6 so it can be rooted.

Need to get the screen warranty fixed tomorrow then I will give it a try.

Did you manage to root it? What instructions did you follow?

Unfortunately I fell for the lies/incompetence of the shop staff in the I-Mobile shop so the wife's IQ6 is currently on a 4 week holiday to BKK to get fixed.

I did however follow the instructions and have all the required ROM's and porting software ready to do for when it gets back.

The instructions were written in Thai but for a change Bing made a very good translation. Good enough for anyone to follow. Here is the link.....

Rooting i-Mobile IQ6.

They also have the ROM's for the IQ6A

I have not tried this to completion and do not accept ANY responsibility for the contents of the translated Thai site. As always rooting offers many rewards and pleasures but do so at your peril ;-)

Edited by Para

Unfortunately I fell for the lies/incompetence of the shop staff in the I-Mobile shop so the wife's IQ6 is currently on a 4 week holiday to BKK to get fixed.

I did however follow the instructions and have all the required ROM's and porting software ready to do for when it gets back.

The instructions were written in Thai but for a change Bing made a very good translation. Good enough for anyone to follow. Here is the link.....

Rooting i-Mobile IQ6.

I have not tried this to completion and do not accept ANY responsibility for the contents of the translated Thai site. As always rooting iffers many rewards but do so at your peril ;-)

It's unfortunate that Imobile almost cannot be found in the regular small phone shops.

I always buy my phones in the same shop and get service above and beyond what the manufacturer offers.

And for example Samsung can be just as slow (multiple weeks) for repairs/replacement.

Had one instance where I needed outright replacement due to manufacturing fault, after the initial 7 days outright replacement period, Samsung service center said they have to send to Bkk, estimated 3 weeks, the shop I bought exchanged straight away out of their stock and absorbed the 3 week wait for a replacement unit.

Rooting i-Mobile IQ6.

I have not tried this to completion and do not accept ANY responsibility for the contents of the translated Thai site. As always rooting iffers many rewards but do so at your peril ;-)

It's unfortunate that Imobile almost cannot be found in the regular small phone shops.

I always buy my phones in the same shop and get service above and beyond what the manufacturer offers.

And for example Samsung can be just as slow (multiple weeks) for repairs/replacement.

Had one instance where I needed outright replacement due to manufacturing fault, after the initial 7 days outright replacement period, Samsung service center said they have to send to Bkk, estimated 3 weeks, the shop I bought exchanged straight away out of their stock and absorbed the 3 week wait for a replacement unit.

See all this useful info after I have sent mine away but at least I am well armed next time as we all know there will most certainly be a next time,

The *LMFAO* after service here in Pattaya is disgusting. I have always been a Nokia man and they are not so bad at least you get a loan phone while yours is being fixed. What I am furious at is I found the supposed main i-Mobile customer/service shop for Pattaya on Pattaya Nua they quoted 4 weeks, I made a *bleep* point of asking if I was able to take it to BKK myself and they said it would also take 4 weeks. A kind TV BM pointed me towards MBK and in 30 seconds I found out they would fix the phone in 1 hour. I am fuming. No loan phone and her's is away for 4 weeks.

Don't suppose you wish to share the gem of a dealers you have do you?

Live and learn, live and learn.

Rooting i-Mobile IQ6.

See all this useful info after I have sent mine away but at least I am well armed next time as we all know there will most certainly be a next time,

The *LMFAO* after service here in Pattaya is disgusting. I have always been a Nokia man and they are not so bad at least you get a loan phone while yours is being fixed. What I am furious at is I found the supposed main i-Mobile customer/service shop for Pattaya on Pattaya Nua they quoted 4 weeks, I made a *bleep* point of asking if I was able to take it to BKK myself and they said it would also take 4 weeks. A kind TV BM pointed me towards MBK and in 30 seconds I found out they would fix the phone in 1 hour. I am fuming. No loan phone and her's is away for 4 weeks.

Don't suppose you wish to share the gem of a dealers you have do you?

Live and learn, live and learn.

Actually I do...

TukCom.

First floor (phone floor), taking the escalator up you'd walk straight into the shop (unless they moved direction of escalators again).

They also have a big selection of 2nd hand phones, and previously with another repair (of an older phone) they gave me a loaner out of their extensive 2nd hand collection, free of charge...

Must say I probably bought over 8 phones there in the last 5 years...

And, as mentioned before, no I-mobile.

And I'm seriously considering one, the one with the IPS screen has an extremely good price/specification level.

I like my Samsungs, but even with them I never went top level (can't justify for my needs), but relativly speaking they are way more expensive...