Soursop Fruit

thequietman

Looks interesting, my wife thinks it is 'Noi Nong'. (Isaan)She hasn't seen any for a long time (nobody eat). If you can eat it or it is a medicine, she knows what it is, generally. Maybe you should go to the Chiang Mai plant market and take a foto with you?

Durian kaek if you google soursop thailand

Edited by cooked

I think the Thai word is thurian khaek or thurian thet. Because I live in Hawaii I wouldn't be able to suggest a seed source. Maybe the Horticultural Research Center in Chantaburi could help. I have visited the place a couple of times, but don't recall seeing any trees in their collection.

• 4 months later...

have seen them in many ordinary fruit shops. in thai cambo penang and even sing. cant remember if they are seasonal or which season. they are delicious. chose ones that are only slightly soft. hard ones may turn soft, dont know for sure. i only buy the slightly soft ready to eat ones. too soft and they are too ripe. spit out the large hard black seeds.

sorry i cant be more specific. its a matter of buy them when you see them because they are not consistently anywhere i can recall, with the possible exception of phnom penh where i frequently purchased them in the local markets

Edited by ttwitt

As said before it looks like Noi Nong. It is very similar to Noi Nah, Australians call it custard apple. I am not sure if medicinally they are the same but taste and texture are.

• Like 1

As said before it looks like Noi Nong. It is very similar to Noi Nah, Australians call it custard apple. I am not sure if medicinally they are the same but taste and texture are.

they are not custard apple and taste nothing like custard apple. they do have the same textured and color fruit inside but the skin texture on the outside is noticeably different. also a different shape to custard apple. they have a pronounced elongation in the vertical axis and are not symmetrical about any axis. very good ones have an almost sparkling white champagne taste sensation. soursop is the most common english language name.

Edited by ttwitt

Errr custard apple? That is a totally different type of fuit.

Well from what i know it's called by a couple names, here are the ones i know: thurian khaek, Soursop, Glavolia and some people call it durian nam durian thaet.

But if u look it up its thurian khaek, green with spike but not like a durian tho it does look similar. It's sweet & sour tasting and it is kinda hard to find the fruit in Thailand. I have heard its in nakomsi tamalat nong khai and south closer to Malaysian boarder. I have personally seen it in nong khai, a friend of mine girls family have a tree.

• 2 weeks later...

As I read this and pissing off "she who will be obeyed" with questions, I'm sipping some Fuk Khao juice. It's an orange/red spikey fruit, half the size ( same shape) as an American football.

"She who will be obeyed" scoops out the red interior discarding the very odd shaped large seeds, adds water and boils it up in a pot. In this state it tastes like a slightly bitter/acid tomato.

"She wh...blah, blah" then adds passion fruit and honey and the resulting concoction is a not unpleasant, tangy sweet tomato juice. I will try this with vodka and a dash of worcester sauce, salt to taste.

We bought it at a small talat nat in Chiang Mai at the weekend. 35 Baht per kilo. They were also calling it Gak fruit (?) (just PM me your local PO address for a few seeds)

The soursop is Noi Nong according to Blah Blah. Custard apple is Noi Nah.

I casually mentioned my interest in Noi Nong.......watch this space as she ploughs up Chiang Mai to find it.smile.png

Regards

Edit:

Whatever.

Edited by teletiger
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

namdocmai do you notice any wasps near the flowers? I know soursops and custard apples are related and i'm talking about Australia but it may be relevant.

My father has a few custard apple trees that are his pride and joy. Whenever he's near the trees he checks for a parasitic wasp that's attracted to the flowers. I think the wasp produces mealy bugs. He also hand polinates the flowers.

You can stimulate natural polination by papaya or banana. And you'd better have more than one tree. If you don't maybe better hand polinate with some other tree from somewhere. Collecting about 5pm and polinating your tree about 8am next morning. Don't ask why but that's what the gurus say.

If you are harvesting the leaves or if the tree is loosing them from another reason it will probably loose the fruit as well. Needs energy for making new leaves.