Regular 91 Off The Pump? What Now?

hgma

NongKhaI AREA today 29-01-2013 has stopped selling regular 91 benzine.

Petrolstations are diverting everyone to '95'super fuel at a price of 48.5 bath.

Since I have no knowledge of engines and all related issues I went to my Honda dealer, (we drive Honda Jazz itech)

they suggested NOT to buy bio91 but bio95 and suggested further that super 95 would have no impact on our engine.

I always was under the impression that super diven engines were different then regular driven engines and one should avoid filling up with 95 super in a regular 91 engine.(Jazz has a red sticker attached to avoid just that)

Can anyone with knowledge of the subject direct me to do(tank) the right thing(fuel)?

Appricated

HGMA

I still have the possibility to buy 91 RED in Sakhon Nakhon - Sawang Den Ding, Udon Thani - Nong Han Districts for my old (1993) Honda CBR Fireblade 400

Last year in Dec. we changed the car with the =First Owner Tax return= offer.

The new small Nissan March runs very well on 20 E Gasoline, convenient! I happy with the car, light wight, agile and for that enough power. wink.png

Great Alfredo, but I am not buying a new car, i just want to know what the best alternative fuel is now that NK is stop selling 91 RED.(regular)

BTW Lao wife.

thank you for your comment

sincerely

HGMA

The two PTT stations at which I tried to buy 91 gasoline today had none. One actually had covers over the nozzles and signs affixed to the machines indicating it was not available. In one of those difficult 'conversations' between a farang customer who speaks little Thai and a Thai attendant who spoke a little more but not much English, I was told that they were 'never' going to get more 91 gasoline.

I came to this forum to ask if anyone knows whether gasoline is finally disappearing in Thailand and gasohol wholly replacing it.

Yes, 91 is going to disappeear, or has disappeared already.

Petrol 95 is not a problem in your car, just a higher octane.

You might try to find out if your car/motorbike/whatever can soldier on on gasohol.

Of not, try to find out if it can run on LPG.

If that is possible, mix 95 with 91 Gasohol in your tank.

Or simply use on 91 gasohol.

It is said that E10-E20 does not require any changes or modifications to the engine.

A slightly higher consumption might be expected.

Like LPG.

Is your car a more recent model, there should not be a problem.

Older cars, say 15 years older or more, might have some trouble in getting started in the morning when it is cool, or cold.

But in Thailand that is hardly to be expected.

Anyway, blame PTT, who wants to get rid of it's surplus stock of ethanol.

If your Jazz is a 2006+ model, you can use Gasohol E10 - 91 or 95 octane without any problems.

If it's earlier than that you should stick to 95 Benzine ("premium unleaded") as the fuel system is not designed to cope with the Ethanol content in Gasohol, and using E10 in it will lead to failures.

Either way, do not put Gasohol E20 in it.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

It is said that E10-E20 does not require any changes or modifications to the engine.

The fuel system must be made of materials that won't corrode/deteriorate with Ethanol content. Prior to 2006, practically no cars sold in TH (other than a few imports) used the higher quality metals/seals needed to cope with Ethanol, so E10/E20/E85 should never be pumped into these.

• Like 1

Yes, 91 is going to disappeear, or has disappeared already.

Petrol 95 is not a problem in your car, just a higher octane.

You might try to find out if your car/motorbike/whatever can soldier on on gasohol.

Of not, try to find out if it can run on LPG.

. . . . .

Is your car a more recent model, there should not be a problem.

If I could get petrol 95 I would be happy, but it has been unavailable in Chiangmai for a long time.

I have a Vespa, a new one, just one year old, but the instructions given me, both by the user manual and the dealer who sold it me, are to use in it petrol only, not gasohol.

• Like 1

Contact the company that produced your engine with year, model, c.c, engine number etc.

Toyota and Honda made engine that could run on E20 since 2008, dunno what month though.biggrin.png

When it comes to E20, check the owner's manual as it's still very hit-and-miss.

Corolla got E20 support in the 2010 minor change, VIOS/Yaris supported E20 in 2006, but the new MY12 Camry and the Prius still only support E10.... similar story for Honda etc.