Car Crash In Bkk & Dealing With Insurance Companies

gunny3000

Hi, we suffered a car crash over xmas, whereby, a Thai lady drove into the back of us. Totally her fault, and, the insurance people that came out (1 hers and 1 mine) both agreed it was her fault. While my car was away at the garage being repaired, which it has and not at my cost, I had to hire minivans to take us on pre-booked holidays, etc.

I have all the receipts for the car hire's, which, comes to around 19,820 THB. Bangkok Bank Insurance (the lady's insuraance company), came back with an 'offer' of 10,000 THB.

My first reaction was to refuse it and I have told them that there will be no negociation as it is receipted 'out of pocket' amounts that are fully transparent.

I just wondered if anyone else has had any experiences and could offer any advice.

I'm of the opinion that most Thais feel (particularly in the case of a weterner) they can do almost any negative thing to you they want and you just have to suck it up!

Yu forgot to add - because they think we are totally stupid

I bet this guy would of pocketed the rest

INSURANCE COMPANY - hitem & hitem hard

Wow! There it is then. My Thai colleagues say the same... Accept the 10,000 THB, because, it's not usual for them to offer anything.

Jeffrey, you're right, I have a 7-sweater for the 3 kids... I couldn't get one of those :-(

It appears here in Thailand, somebody hits you and it's their fault, you lose!

Well, when Bangkok Insurance called to say they can only offer 10,000, I said I'll only accept 15,000... They went away for about 1min and offered 13,000... <deleted>!!! They we happy to barter for 2,000 that morning and p!ss me off even more... Well, I have accepted and I will never take insurance out from BKK Bank and I am closing my savings account with them down. What a Joke.

Well, when Bangkok Insurance called to say they can only offer 10,000, I said I'll only accept 15,000... They went away for about 1min and offered 13,000... <deleted>!!! They we happy to barter for 2,000 that morning and p!ss me off even more... Well, I have accepted and I will never take insurance out from BKK Bank and I am closing my savings account with them down. What a Joke.

They are doing much more than any other company would do. Up to you to be pissed of and don't use their services any more, but totally unjustified.

They are doing much more than any other company would do. Up to you to be pissed of and don't use their services any more, but totally unjustified.

Agreed - I have never seen a motor insurance contract in Thailand that had a provision for covering rental expenses. Most generous of them IMHO.

When that happened to me, they flat out refused to pay for a rental car.

Last year my wife parked absolutely correctly on the side of the road. An uninsured motorbike crashed full speed into our rear. Damages caused were upward of 200k. Our first class insurance paid only 75%, as we were already having a new insurance with another company for the next year.

Apparently there was some small print....

since the car was less then a year old and the insurance was arranged through Toyota, they helped dealing with the insurance.

In the end we were charged only half of the missing 25%, the other half Toyota swallowed.

I am not sure if a lawyer could have helped, but then again his fees are likely higher than the sum in question.

Somehow you are always on the short end of the stick with Thai car insurances.

I am impressed with yours offering anything for the car rent.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You three clearly work for Bangkok Bank Insurance in my opinion....

In your first post here you say 'I just wondered if anyone else has had any experiences and could offer any advice.'

You get that advice here many times, don't like it so have to accuse the people giving the advice. <aybe you'd better not ask for advice in that case.

Nothing much to do with insurance companies being nice or not.

The insurance policy will state if a replacement vehicle is offered and what maximum rental is allowed.

I doubt taxi rides would be covered anywhere in the world!

Most policies simply do not include replacement vehicle here in Thailand.

The insurance policy will state if a replacement vehicle is offered and what maximum rental is allowed.

Monty, do you know of any reasonably priced insurance company offering rentals in their policy?

You three clearly work for Bangkok Bank Insurance in my opinion....

OK - You are upset. But what these posters are telling you is that when compared to alternative policies this insurance company have been very good to you. It's relative, I've been in an accident that wasn't my fault and the insurance wouldn't cover a hire car. Most don't.

As such - Bangkok insurance have made the best of a bad situation. Could they do better?, probably. Are the doing better than the other companies? Yes. So, regardless of your level of satisfaction it appears you are getting a better level of service from Bangkok Insurance than would be afforded to you by a number of the other companies.

I wouldn't be so quick to throw a tantrum just yet, you've been treated well.

• Like 2

Monty, do you know of any reasonably priced insurance company offering rentals in their policy?

Not sure actually. Haven't seen one yet...

AIG certainly doesn't as we found out with a crashed company vehicle, where we instantly needed temporary replacement.

They did expedite the payout though, from crash, to preliminary repair quote followed by decision to declare total loss and cheque in hand was 3 weeks...

AFAIK AXA is the only one with a (very limited) cover for rental vehicles.

Insurance companies are terible in Thailand and don't care except getting their monthly money. It is better if you have accident to have it repaired yourself than wait for their shops they send you to (a three month wait). Let the repair shop write an repair bill over the amount, you will get close to the amount you paid for the repair.