Plagiocephaly Or Flat Head Syndrome

siberianwarcat

I have been observing lots of flat heads in Thailand. The flat heads I have seen are generally at the back, but recently I saw a shaven headed individual with a very flat angled side of head. I have chatted to a mate of mine, who lives here, who simply thought the phenomena is a genetic trait (and linked to brain capacity/function - he is normally an intelligent guy and not normally prone to putting Thais down). More recently I was talking to a doctor about it, who confirmed my observations as correct suggesting that in recent times less flat heads can be seen in Bangkok due to wealth and the use of pillows and mattresses, whilst in the country the placing of new borns on the floor still often results in a flattening of the skull at the back or side. I am interested whether any actual published research has been done into rates of plagiocephaly and brachycephaly in the Kingdom or indeed any other developing country that anyone knows of. I am sure for most this is not a big priority for a public health awareness campaign, but I understand without prevention/correction, rare but not exceptional cases the deformity can affect sight, hearing and jaw alignment.

Plagiocephaly or Brachycephaly is not genetic nor is the condition associated with brain capacity, intellegence or function

The use of anthropological observation/measurement which seeks to argue that physical racial differences are indicative of greater/lesser intelligence is known as Scientific Racism and is condemed by the United Nations Convention.

Plagiocephaly or Brachycephaly is not confined nor unique to Thailand or Asia but can also be found in the West affecting Caucasion babies !

The following links will provde more information about this "normal" condition !

http://www.nct.org.uk/parenting/what-flat-head-syndrome-plagiocephaly-or-brachycephaly

http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/medical-conditions/search-for-medical-conditions/plagiocephaly/

I remember when I was young and heard that with a baby it is necessary to be sure to turn them often as their skulls are still soft. Just saw this article and appears there is some merit to it. Not sure in Thailand if there is more of a propensity to not change the babies position or not.

The incidence of plagiocephaly has increased dramatically since the advent of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome recommendations for parents to keep their babies on their backs.[3] Treatments range from a simple repositioning of babies below the age of 5 months to more involved treatment with a helmet for children under the age of 18 months.[4]

Often caused by inability of the infant to turn their head in one direction due to neck pain. This causes the baby to always be on the same side of the skull and it will become flat. Once normal movement is restored head begins to develop normally.

Wiki

Thanks Tywais,

I wrote the topic out of a genuine interest, to see if the practice of putting babies on the floor or other hard service as against giving them a cushion/mattress could have been the cause of my casual observations. I was also interested in the notion that if there were a correlation, it might also be linked to wealth and adversely, it's reduction to social mobility. Not being a doctor, I merely wrote my unqualified points with no hope or agenda to promulgate any ideas supportive of 'scientific racism' (a term I have now learnt).

My question still however remains unanswered regarding any studies undertaken either in the Kingdom or other developing countries that anyone might be aware of.

Many thanks again.

Speaking from personal experience (one side of my head is flat), the only real problems it has caused me are related to one ear being positioned higher than the other. It makes life difficult for whomever cuts my hair or tries to fit me with glasses. Also, I have to avoid long-hanging earrings because they make it obvious that the ears are positioned differently. No problems with hearing or jaw alignment and once I can convince an optician that he needs to fit my glasses differently than "normal", I've never had problems with sight.

Apparently, my parents tried to rotate me as an infant, but I insisted on sleeping in just one position and would fuss or cry if placed in another. I still can't fall asleep in any other position.