A Warning To Malaysian Men: Be Wary Of Thai Marriages

webfact

A warning to Malaysian men: Be wary of Thai marriages

By Coconuts Bangkok

songkhla.png

Songkhla Province

BANGKOK: -- The Malaysian government has issued a warning to Malaysian men, implying that their marriages in neighboring Thailand may not be recognized as valid upon their return to their home country.

newsjs

As reported in the New Straits Times, Malaysian Muslim men have recently taken to journeying into southern Thailand in order to secure second, third or fourth wives. So popular is this practice that one mosque in Songkla province has even gathered a reputation as a destination for quickie marriages. [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...thai-marriages/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-01-30

footer_n.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article isn't news at all. This practice of Malaysian men

marrying Thai ladies in the Southern Border provinces has

been going on for centuries. Interesting is the fact that the

Malaysian man's Malay wife may not know about his marriage

to a Thai lady whereas the Thai wife knows about the Malay wife.

• Like 1

If malaysia had more than 60 percent muslims, I'm sure they would allow polygamy (with or without 4 wife limit). Too bad, they are stuck to 50 percent of whole population.

I wonder if Indonesia accepts 4 wifes per man, even though they are from another country? :)

Malaysian get married in Thailand according to religious rites. This does not mean they go to Thailand to marry a Thai. Getting married for second or more wives are stringent with groom having to proof that he can afford such marriage and with permission from fist wife.

• Like 1

"Malaysian Muslim men have recently taken to journeying into southern Thailand in order to secure second, third or fourth wives"

You could not make up stuff like this.... Wonder how the Thai women are liking playing second fiddle to the Malaysian first wife...

Should read "Warning to Thai women, Muslim men will make you a mia, mia, mia noi!"

I'm assuming that the 2 of you are just ignorant of the fact that Southern Thailand has a massive Muslim population and, as part of Islam, a man is allowed to have as many as 4 wives.....

Ergo, the Thai woman will be well aware of the position she would hold within the family...

Remember, these woman are Muslim first, THEN Thai or Malay....

Is that not valid for all muslims?

Male, female or whatever?

If malaysia had more than 60 percent muslims, I'm sure they would allow polygamy (with or without 4 wife limit). Too bad, they are stuck to 50 percent of whole population.

I wonder if Indonesia accepts 4 wifes per man, even though they are from another country? smile.png

If I may believe my friend, a Buddhist Chinese Malaysian businessman, more or less escaped to Thailand with his legal Thai wife (both countries) because of the more and more stringent and oppressing muslim "influences", the muslims are now numbering 60%-65% of the Malay people.

Also, there seems to be a repression of the Chinese and Indian people of the country, who tend to be Buddhists and Christians.

Typical muslim?

Edited by hansnl
  • Like 2

This doesn't even qualify as a legal marriage in Thailand. Why no malay birth certificate though?

That is the problem, it is not a legal marriage so it is not recognised by Malaysia. For that it would need to be a legal Thai marriage, for which one cannot be maried already.

"Malaysian Muslim men have recently taken to journeying into southern Thailand in order to secure second, third or fourth wives"

You could not make up stuff like this.... Wonder how the Thai women are liking playing second fiddle to the Malaysian first wife...

Should read "Warning to Thai women, Muslim men will make you a mia, mia, mia noi!"

I'm assuming that the 2 of you are just ignorant of the fact that Southern Thailand has a massive Muslim population and, as part of Islam, a man is allowed to have as many as 4 wives.....

Ergo, the Thai woman will be well aware of the position she would hold within the family...

Poor souls :(

They are muslim first, like it or not. To be fair, I have heard of one Malaysian muslim (adopted into a non-muslim family soon after birth) woman who was allowed to change her religion, granted a few years after she died. A religion of love and tolerance, I think not.

• Like 1

If the mother is Thai, then the child will be a Thai national, regardless of whether the husband or the father of the child is a Malaysian.”

According to the Bangkok Post, some children of such unions have not been allowed to register in Malaysian schools, owing to their contested nationality.

Would be better to see the whole statment. Can't clearly understand which way the Malaysian government accept wife and children, because the first sentence seems strict - if the mother is Thai, no matter what - while the second one just talking about "some".

EDIT:

Deputy Home Minister Lee Chee Leong said that one common problem is that under Malaysian law, children of an unregistered marriage must take the nationality of the mother.

My bad. Seems it just need to be registered according to Malaysian law. That doesn't seem to be unfair.

Edited by zolo

This article isn't news at all. This practice of Malaysian men

marrying Thai ladies in the Southern Border provinces has

been going on for centuries. Interesting is the fact that the

Malaysian man's Malay wife may not know about his marriage

to a Thai lady whereas the Thai wife knows about the Malay wife.

That's true but the article has a poor heading; it's a government warning that Malaysian men's children with their Thai wives will not have Malaysian citizenship. This has a raft of ramifications that men aren't thinking through; their half-Thai children will only ever have Thai birth certificates, Thai passports and they won't be allowed to enter Malaysian schools so they'll probably be raised in Thailand and do military service.

Personally speaking...I see nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

Malaysian get married in Thailand according to religious rites. This does not mean they go to Thailand to marry a Thai. Getting married for second or more wives are stringent with groom having to proof that he can afford such marriage and with permission from fist wife.

That's true in Malaysia & Indonesia & most of the Muslim world. However the Malay wife may

never know about the Thai wife because the man married her in Thailand and not in Malaysia.

It happens all the time in the Thai-Mal bordering provinces....I know many Thai ladies married

to Malay men and they know that the Malay wife knows nothing about the Thai wife.

You are right. A few months ago an important Muslim cleric from India was lecturing on TV to Muslim men asking them to please marry or take home many women they wanted, because single and divorced Muslim women are becoming "public domain"..textual words....

snapback.pngsputjam, on 2013-01-30 12:34:06, said:

I dont know about thai laws etc but christian man with wife in malaysia only has to change religion to muslim and new wife is possible, my lady friend in malay then had to appear on 7 separate court occasions to have divorce granted, she did not approve of wife no2, cheers

Big news.....Muslim can have all the women they want, and that is considered a favor to them in this world.....Most "farangs" are not Muslim and are married in their countries and also in Thailand...What is the problem?...they also are making a favor to some Thai women...We live now in a "global" community.....Why not?

• Like 1

Some men will never learn....The definition of bigamy is having one too many wives. A wise man knows that monogamy is exactly the same.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Not always. A lot of the women in Islam are like trained pets. Islam is a religion of male superiority and many of the women thrive on it.

It bothers me here in Chiang Mai to see a Muslim women dressed head to toes in black while the temperature is in the high thirties around 100 degrees Fahrenheit and the man is dressed in shorts and a white shirt walking down the street with the wife following him.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1