Reduced Fares For Senior Citizens On Bangkok's Public Transport?

Puccini

4 hours ago, impulse said:

I got the cards so I don't have to wait in a queue every time I hop on the MRT and BTS.  At peak times, it's quite a queue.

For that, I had to whip out my passport.  Gladly.

Edit:  I'd add that having a card, I can change my mind mid-journey and hop off at a different destination.

Thanks for the info, I don't go to BK very often so doubt it's worth it, unless as been suggested you can't get the reduction without a card.

See what happens next time I am there.

On 7/26/2024 at 1:29 PM, BobDobbs said:

I'm really shocked because every card that is issued needs a passport. No idea how that happened assuming you're not of age at the time that you got the card

When I asked for and received my MRT seniors discount pass a year or so back, they definitely wanted to see my passport as proof of age eligibility.

The MRT counter rep specifically asked to see my passport. I don't have a Thai DL and maybe it would have sufficed if I did have one, but they didn't ask for that either.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

Up to a month ago I was always given the senior discount when riding the subway.  As of about 3 weeks ago, I was told that only people with Thai ID cards (Bat Prachachon) get that discount.

It will be interesting to see what happens when I go to top up my Elder Card then.  

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Thanks for the info, I don't go to BK very often so doubt it's worth it, unless as been suggested you can't get the reduction without a card.

See what happens next time I am there.

I don't know if the stored value on the card expires, but I think just the convenience alone is worth it assuming you may travel peak hours. If not it's no big deal. Most MRT stations are like ghost towns midday

Edited by BobDobbs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

Up to a month ago I was always given the senior discount when riding the subway.  As of about 3 weeks ago, I was told that only people with Thai ID cards (Bat Prachachon) get that discount.

Another good reason to get a pink card. The seniors' cards on both MRT & BTS do not expire. BTS had a big crackdown, or at least the announcement about fining riders B2,000 for improper use of student or seniors' cards.

Edited by unblocktheplanet
add

I see more and more farang up here on MRT. Please do not come up here to live. It's simply dreadful. Outside of the odd KFC in McDonald's there's no foreign food. Thais speak little English. Many 711 do not have little home wheat bread even. You will hate it. Run away..back to Sukhumvit with the burkas and tiktokers best for you 👍👍👍

15 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Another good reason to get a pink card.

The pink card cannot be obtained without a house book from a family member or owning a condo yourself. The vast majority of us will never fit into those scenarios.

Having a pink card or using your passport makes absolutely no difference.

Once you get your card you don't need to show your passport ever again. That goes for the BTS as well

I wish board members would stop going on about pink cards it's very annoying.

Edited by BobDobbs

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't have a Thai DL and maybe it would have sufficed

It may have. I've even used my EXPIRED driver's license for making withdrawals of a reasonably large amount of money on a few occasions having forgot my passport. Yeah, as you've correctly pointed out a passport is necessary. They input the number and your name into the system.

All cards are linked to identification which is extremely troubling for me I might add.

Edited by BobDobbs