How To Cook Pork Chops Without Them Being Pink In The Middle?

davejonesbkk

Everytime I try to cook pork chops in the frying pan I seem to screw it up. It doesnt seem to matter if I have the pan on a medium heat and try to do them slowly or a heat heat and do them fast but the outside seems to cook very, very fast while the inside is still pink, I did one for like 15 mins or so last time and it was burnt on the outside but still pink in the middle. I know technically they are safe to eat once 160 F all the way through or something but there's no way Im eating it unless its fully cooked....

Why on earth would you want to eat an over cooked (to me) pork chop knowing that it is perfectly safe to eat a yummy, pinkish, juicy, tender one? Better question: Why do I care what your food choices are?

By the way, pork chops and chicken breasts are very tasty covered with one of the Nana pasta sauces, topped with a hard cheese and baked.

I know a lot will be shocked at what i am about to suggest but throw them into a microwave and three quarters cook and then finish off in a pan or griller. I understand that some restaurants do this but the punter/customer does not see into the kitchen to see it happening..

• Like 1

As it is not possible to put a whole pork chop in your mouth, I uses scissors, have a big pair that live in the kitchen, when nicely done on the outside pick up with fork and cut into bite size bits, toss the fry pan a couple of time and pork is done and fully cooked..

If have visitors, then use the BBQ, have both coal, and an electric one, appears always to cook all the way to middle

Not so with Beef as I like it very pink

Both Pork and Beef I leave in Fridge for about 5 - 7 days marinating before frying...

Actually I don't really pan fry in the way the OP is referring to. I make them the same way as I do my southern fried chicken. I put a coating of soy sauce on them, sprinkle a little salt, black pepper (usually a fair amount as I like it spicy) and garlic powder. If they are thick, poke them with a fork on both sides. I then put them in a bag of corn flour and shake coating them. I use an electric wok and with enough oil in the bottom that the bottom of the chops are in contact with the oil. Heat the oil at high and put the chops in. Cook at high for 5 minutes, turn them over and cover and then 15 minutes at medium/low heat. Turn them over one more time and 5 minutes at high with the cover off. Never had pink middles and they are just excellent with a crisp crust.

• Like 1

try leaving them out of the fridge for awhile before frying them, especially for thick cuts

its also very important to rest the before after cooking, did you do that?

Totally agree, I always lay down and have a rest after cooking - usually with a bottle of beer

try leaving them out of the fridge for awhile before frying them, especially for thick cuts

its also very important to rest the before after cooking, did you do that?

Totally agree, I always lay down and have a rest after cooking - usually with a bottle of beer

trouble with that is going to sleep and letting the food get cold.

It's pretty simple. There are good ideas in a few posts here. Let it rest at room temp for 30 minutes. Pat it dry with paper towels(important). If it's a thin chop then you shouldn't have any problem cooking in a pan. If its thick, over 1 inch, then sear it in the pan for a good crust and finish it in an oven.

Buy. Sprinkle with garlic powder and dried rosemary, pour on a tiny bit of black pepper sauce. Put in fridge.

Remove from fridge 30 minutes before cooking.

Heat oil in pan to a medium heat.

Fry.

Remove from pan and let rest for 10 mins.

Eat.

Also known as the BRHFRE method.

Edited by cbrer

Let’s consolidate the very good advice in this thread:

1. Take the chops out of the fridge and let them get up to room temp. This actually goes for any meat product you cook, as it helps it cook more evenly.

2. The 160 degree recommendation is completely outdated. The US FDA now recommends to cook pork to an internal temp of 145 degrees. This means that it is safe to eat properly cooked pork, which will have a pink center.

3. Let the pork sit for five minutes after cooking so the juices get pulled back to the center – the cooking process drives it to the edges. FDA recommends three minutes of rest time (I suggest the five for flavor), as this also helps ensure the pork is “microbiologically safe.”

Regardless of how you cook it, the above will help it to turn out juicy and delicious.

Personally, I lightly coat mine in some olive oil, add salt and pepper and grill on the BBQ at a low temp adding a mustard BBQ sauce at the end, which I quickly sear.

Edited by Furbie