How To Reduce Fuel Usage Of 12 Year Old Nissan Nv 1.5 Car? Pickup

Sandman77

Bought now old Nissan mv car 12 year old the only one was avalible on the countryside in Isaan ,

All other cars the dealer have was at 200000km and over and wants 300000 bath

The only choice for less then the have price was Nisan nv!

now the problem the car needs around 15 liter benzin for 100 km and smells terrible from the benzin dust! Are the any dealers in Isaan Buriram area around 100 km that can install filters to reduce fuel usage? Are catalysators also avalible in Thailand?

How much the coasts?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I think NV is only sold with 1.6 engine. Motor still original? Couple of years ago I had a NV AT, it took 8-10 ltrs on 100 km.

A catalysator will not reduce your fuel usage.

I would bring it to Nissan or a mechanic who is familar with this motor.

Change filters, oel, sparkplugs . A very, very dirty air filter can cost fuel but i doubt that much...

Many people converted the NV to LPG to save on fuel. I think with LPG it is around 1,- thb per kilometer.

I had 2 NV's

1 got 15 km per liter and the other did 17 km per liter

15L/100km in a light 1.6 is crazy fuel consumption! That's what you get from a modern 300-400HP v8. You smell benzene? It sounds like a leak in the fuel system. I'd get that checked out. Are there any drips on the ground under the car? Try to locate where the smell is coming from. I wouldn't have thought tuning will make a huge difference, unless some part is found to be faulty.

It is running too rich.

My take on this is that one or more of the sensors that give information to the fuel injection system have failed causing the system to default to a rich state to allow the engine to run.

It is going to be something like the O2 sensor or the Mass airflow sensor or the throttle position sensor etc. Then again it could simply be that the temperature sensor has failed and the ECU thinks the engine is always cold so in old fashion lingo "the choke is stuck shut"

It needs to go to the main Nissan dealer nearest you for a check., unless there is a good Nissan private shop that you know.

• Like 1

As others have said a service and check is needed first, you will hopefully find it's better after that.

Apart from that to reduce fuel comsumption remove any excess weight and then start improving the factory build quality, improve fuel flow through the engine and system if you really are that concerned : straight through exhaust the correct size for the engine, not an over sized boy racer one if you don't mind the noise. Tubular manifold.

Port the head, match the ports to the manifolds. At least remove casting burrs.

Make sure the air inlet is recieving cold air, not stuck in a hot engine bay, maybe increase the size of the tubing to the air filter.

That will give you a bit more power for the same fuel delivery.

Use the throttle and brakes less if you can. Difficult with all the idiots on the roads here.